• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dezaki's The Tale of Genji Anime to Debut in January

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is very cool. I wonder what style of language they'll be using. My guess is something "classic sounding" but still modern, like Condor Hero. Fansubbers will have fun with this one.

-Tofu
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
wow. sweet *.*
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Cool? Sweet?! Apparently the two of you above have never experienced

1) the magnificent art of Waki Yamato;
2) how things can go wrong when Osamu Dezaki wants to "go with his own."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
So the worst anime director of all times strikes again.
Why doesn't he just quit for God's sake? Do we deserve more unprofessional trash?

Well, I might check it out for its hilarity.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:

Huh? I seem to have stumbled into the Twilight Zone.
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I seriously doubt she would have been the character designer for the anime, so I'm not getting the point of this; unless it's an objection to the decision to not base the anime on the manga, that I could understand. But even then, it would be someone doing characters designs based on her manga, not her doing the designs herself; so in the end it would still not be her artwork.

dormcat wrote:

Don't see how they would know, since the only thing I've seen of him as a director are from the Black Jack movie and OVAs (which I thought were very good). I couldn't find anything else in his entry on this site that I've seen, or was reviewed here (though I admit to not checking them all). The only reviews I found were for the Black Jack movie and OVAs, and those praised him as a director. I'd appreciate some links to other, reliable (as in not some random blogger), reviews of his work.

Personally, I'm rather pleased that it was decided to not make an adaptation of an adaptation, since in my experience those tend to get rather far from the original source material. However, I'm going to withhold judgment until a trailer (or at least more information) is released.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

dormcat wrote:

Don't see how they would know, since the only thing I've seen of him as a director are from the Black Jack movie and OVAs (which I thought were very good). I couldn't find anything else in his entry on this site that I've seen, or was reviewed here (though I admit to not checking them all). The only reviews I found were for the Black Jack movie and OVAs, and those praised him as a director. I'd appreciate some links to other, reliable (as in not some random blogger), reviews of his work.

His early work is a sharp... VERY sharp contrast from his more recent stuff. The Air and Clannad movies being prime examples, Osamu Dezaki does NOT have good credibility right now.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness to Dezaki, going by his attitude at the Ultraviolet Code 044 press conference at TAF last year, he really doesn't seem to like doing moe shows, and does them just to pay the bills. No direct quote, but inference from his comment, "Well, I sure am glad to be doing something for grown-ups again!"

That said, I think the Blackjack OAVs were really the last good thing he did, which ended in 2000. As most directors really only have 10 years of relevance in them, and we got almost 30 from Dezaki, it's hard to fault the guy.

Tale of Genji is a classic by Japanese standards (it's the first known Japanese novel, and the first piece of Japanese literature written by a woman), and I suppose if anyone has a feel for big important classics it's Dezaki, so I'm hopeful. On the other hand, I never saw the appeal of the story.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
hara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
hara wrote:

Huh? I seem to have stumbled into the Twilight Zone.

That Dezaki still has a job is Twilight Zone for me!

Have you seen the Clannad movie that was directed as if it was an old shounen show instead of being handled sensitively? Or have you tried watching Ultraviolet Code 44 where every scene started with three fast camera pans? Simply ridiculous.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, Genji Monogatari, a true classic. I've not read the manga, but it would be most interesting to see what direction the anime goes. I would love to go back and read Genji Monogatari again.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Are you kidding? Have you seen Rose of Versailles? How about Snow Queen? I've only personally subtitled both of them lol In that sense, I've probably spent more time viewing Dezaki animation than anyone on this forum.

Dezaki is a fine director.

-Tofu
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:14 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Have you seen the Clannad movie that was directed as if it was an old shounen show instead of being handled sensitively?

No, but I've seen the Air movie, which was miles ahead in subtlety and characterization from the TV series.

Also, his work on the Rose of Versailles is still the only anime that makes me weep just thinking about it, so maybe you should climb off the moe express and try looking into his body of work before crying foul.

The only "flaw" of Dezaki's is his tendency to play fast and loose with series elements he likes more than others. But, honestly, most of his stuff comes out the better for it--such as Air--but Oniisama e was absolutely delightful in its schizophrenic waffling between the original's melodrama and some of the more thoughtful scenes Dezaki favored. (I have nothing to back this up, but I think Dezaki tended to like the characters Ikeda either didn't like or didn't care about, so that accounts for the shift.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:21 pm Reply with quote
So he messed up some awful moe anime, big deal. There's almost no way to do those types of anime without it being trash, anyway. He directed some decent Lupin specials and the Blackjack OVA. This should be worth a look at, at least.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ligene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
He directed The Snow Queen, he's got my vote of confidence.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
he really doesn't seem to like doing moe shows

So why's he doing Genji, then?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3