• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo to Stream Naruto via Crunchyroll Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
but there has to be a better partner for the companies than Crunchyroll, for heaven's sake!

Actually, taking their massive traffic into consideration, there really isn't. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and let things go for the greater good. I mean, heaven forbid companies get their hands a little dirty in accelerating an unprecedented fundamental revolution in the way content is delivered through legitimate channels.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
Mixed feelings...mixed feelings. CR going full legit would've been nice if this was done years ago instead of them making an easy money off of piracy. At least, I can now grin at all the CR complainers about their beloved site no longer accepting user submitted stuff. Yesh!!

Yeah, that part will be nice. I always found it to be a conflict when the site claimed to be going legitimate and then would allow user uploaded content that in all likelihood was copyrighted material. Totally shutting this option is probably the only way to be sure that unapproved material doesn't sneak onto the site.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
When will this kind of deal filter through to the less widely popular genres though?

I want to legitimately pay to watch Hidamari Sketch (x365) and the like...any chance of these kinds of show getting a legitimate showing?
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
I have no idea to what degree, but it seems like stealing makes Crunchyroll users a "community". Their forums are filled with panic "If I don't get piracy of everything, I don't stay" posts. They are all basically planning to stop using the site Jan 8, whether they like the content or not. Very mature. I really hate that. Again, I have to ask how far will Viz/TV Tokyo let these people push them before calling it quits?

Lol? some twisted morals some people have "If I dont get piracy of everything I dont stay"

As for people stopping using it, wel I doubt the original people who set it up will care much once they have walked away from it all with a fat wad of cash.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
I have never supported Crunchyroll, I never WILL support Crunchyroll. CR and Toei could put Sailormoon Stars up there, and I STILL wouldn't go there to watch anything. The fact that they're now collaborating with anime companies to upload official stuff and gain profits for it just makes me sick.

Online viewing and the like might be the wave of the future, but there has to be a better partner for the companies than Crunchyroll, for heaven's sake!

Wave of the future, if you like bad quality audio and video. And h.264 streams? Sure, but once you full screen it will be become nothing but pixels and artifacts.

I'll continue to stick to fansubs and DVDs and bypass this whole streaming thing that people seem to crave. Especially paying for it, wow, that's beyond me. That's like paying someone to punch you in a balls.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty sad that when a site tries to do right by the industry and help out, all of a sudden certain users can't stand it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see what's wrong with waiting for a week. The episodes would still be free, presumably the same quality, and it would be the same site.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
When will this kind of deal filter through to the less widely popular genres though?

I want to legitimately pay to watch Hidamari Sketch (x365) and the like...any chance of these kinds of show getting a legitimate showing?

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it. CR is only going to want the more popular shows. And judging from their forum it's unlikely the average CR viewer would watch it even if you paid them. Hidamari is a niche title that's barely being fansubbed. Nozomi is probably the only hope.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It is pretty sad that when a site tries to do right by the industry and help out, all of a sudden certain users can't stand it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really see what's wrong with waiting for a week. The episodes would still be free, presumably the same quality, and it would be the same site.

Or wait 1 week and go to hulu, joost or naruto.com and watch it free. The community factor of watching it with others will still be there.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I agree with you, Greed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a good step in the right direction, but I'm pretty sure it won't succeed.
First, I have some doubt, that Naruto will be available worldwide (!). I guess it will be US only, like many other videos out there (I live in Europe). Sure, its possible to use proxies, but that's definately not the perfect solution...

I'm fine with waiting one week for the newest episodes, but many people out there won't wait, so fansubbing will continue. Maybe some popular groups will disappear, but others will do the job.
You know, anime also gets fansubbed after it's licensed and C&D letters have been sent, so WHY should it stop now?
I'm really waiting for DB's reaction to this all.

Ads are also OK for me, but I would NEVER pay for any streaming video. Why should I pay for anime that's not even subbed in my native language? Also, my Japanese is good enough to watch anime without subs, so why should I pay for the subbed version at all?!

Being able to download the episodes is also important. I highly doubt this will be possible in a decent quality.
Just went to Crunchroll to check the video quality. In my opinion, it's horrible. Maybe it's fine on a small display, but I'm watching anime on a 22" display. And many people are using much bigger displays. Nowadays a lot of fansubs have a really good quality (720p or even 1080p). Streams should at least have DVD quality to make most people happy. That won't happen, I'm afraid. Anyone remember stage6.com? That would've been the best place for streaming anime legally.

So, I guess, it's good for people who want their anime fix 100% legally and who don't care about bad video/audio quality. But most hardcore fansub viewers won't switch from their downloadable HD-subs to streaming LQ-subs, just because it's legal.

The only solution to make this succeed would be to offer free, downloadable, high quality anime worldwide shortly ofter broadcasting in Japan. Like official, legal fansubs - but with commercials to keep the service free.
Like it or not - this is the way many/most hardcore fansub viewers see it! And there are A LOT of 'em out there.

(uh, I hope my English wasn't that bad, it's not my native language as I've already stated).
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with waiting a week. The anger (and threats to leave the site) expressed from those people are from the fear that all the other anime series will be unavailable to them as well until such a time when they are included from the production companies - which may not happen.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Given VIZ is offering the same content for free in many other places as well as Naruto.com, it's decent enough news.

Though if Crunchy Roll is actually getting rid of all user submitted content- good for them. I'll always be sketched out by their history, so I won't be checking out anything on their site, and feel they should of done this as soon as they had acquired their venture capital, but am still glad to see it being done. I feel if they had done it sooner, they would of created better will with more anime producers domestically and abroad, but better late then never.

I also hope anime companies continue to offer content like this, and that it becomes profitable for them to some degree [at least profitable enough to pay for translating and still make a little money], and helps build DVD sales as fans come to associate them more with their products [an issue with fansubs that often don't translate credits or address when something has become licensed- this is a good way to let fans know that VIZ is where you get your Naruto/Bleach/etc........ oddly, something some people still don't know].

Also, anyone still fansubbing Naruto has no excuse to continue now.
NDenizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:

The only solution to make this succeed would be to offer free, downloadable, high quality anime worldwide shortly ofter broadcasting in Japan. Like official, legal fansubs - but with commercials to keep the service free.

Exactly.

It seems anime companies over the past year have been making steps to use the internet as a way of broadcasting anime, but what is is difficult about doing the obvious bloody thing? They keep stumbling, tripping, and holding back - there will be absolutely no success for them if they keep being so apprehensive about internet watching.

Stop using middle-men like Crunchyroll. Stop concentrating on streaming. Stop providing low quality. Stop being so behind on releases. Stop restricting access to one country.

A direct company-owned website, you pay money, perhaps 1-3 dollars, this gives you a permit to download a particular episode, you choose what sort of resolution and file type you want, you get a subtitled episode of an anime, you get it hours after it aired in Japan, and you get to keep it.

I would pay money for this.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:

Being able to download the episodes is also important. I highly doubt this will be possible in a decent quality.
Just went to Crunchroll to check the video quality. In my opinion, it's horrible. Maybe it's fine on a small display, but I'm watching anime on a 22" display. And many people are using much bigger displays. Nowadays a lot of fansubs have a really good quality (720p or even 1080p).

High Quality video? Permanent media? Looks good on giant screens?
THAT'S WHAT DVD'S ARE FOR!

Seriously, people have no right to complain about free stuff, especially when they're getting a seriously good deal on it all. Feel free to complain after you've paid for it if you want to complain.

Anime companies keep tossing you people some seriously GREAT biscuits, but it's just WHINE, WHINE, WHINE, when you've never really done anything to even deserve the bare necessities.
Learn some appreciation!

Tangently, I love that most of my widescreen dvd's are anamorphic [even some that are almost a decade old by now], for the day when I get a widescreen TV.

Last edited by Paploo on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
A direct company-owned website, you pay money, perhaps 1-3 dollars, this gives you a permit to download a particular episode, you choose what sort of resolution and file type you want, you get a subtitled episode of an anime, you get it hours after it aired in Japan, and you get to keep it.

I would pay money for this.

They tried it. It's called BOST TV, owned by GONZO if you believe the internet rumors. It didn't work as well as CR. Now GONZO has a stake in CR and they are doing it again.

So stop the whining guys. It's a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8