• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Cartoon Panacea

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Haterater wrote:
But they are making a sequel to Avatar, something that they don't really need to do with that logic.

Isn't it? Look at Nickelodeon's other lineup: Madagascar and Kung-Fu Panda... 'sequels' or 'spin-offs' of established movie properties. I'd say it fits their agenda quite well to just make a spin-off/sequel of another of their shows. Why put effort into creating a new show when we can just get a sequel?

This goes back to the concept of "brand awareness" which seems more prevalent nowadays, partly due to the poor economy which makes people risk-averse. It's less risky and less costly to market to people the stuff that they already heard about, instead of something they haven't yet. It's like a vicious cycle. BTW, anime doesn't escape this neither - more and more anime are being adapted from the most popular manga, light novels, games, etc. The mediums may be different, but it's still building on brand awareness that has already been well-established beforehand. (Which makes Madoka even more special in this regard, because it wasn't riding on the coattails of a previous popularity.)

TitanXL wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
One of the better ones that I recall that's always seem to get bypassed is Exo-Squad, also has memorable death scenes:

Exo Squad takes place sometime in the 22nd century, when Humans have fully terraformed and colonized Venus and Mars. The Neosapiens, an artificially-engineered race, have Turned Against Their Masters and launched an invasion of Earth and Venus.

The story focuses on the ExoFleet, the Homeworlds' space navy, in particular, Able Squad, a group of Exo-frame (Mini Mecha) pilots led by Lieutenant J.T. Marsh.

Exo Squad has been commonly compared to Mobile Suit Gundam, both in quality and the maturity of the themes portrayed in the series. In addition, Will Meugniot himself made a direct comparison to the Gundam series, saying that Gundam is similar to the Pacific Theater of World War II, while Exo Squad is the European Theater. Among animation fans, it's often compared with Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, and Avatar: The Last Airbender as an example of how Western animation can be every bit as mature and well-made as the best Anime. Surprising, considering what studio was behind the animation.

I don't think I would use TVTropes as a credible source.. especially when the article is written with so many weasel words and has zero sources. That last bit is pretty much is the analogy of a little kid who wants to sit at the cool kids table in the lunchroom.

What would you consider credible then? Toonapedia? The old Exosquad mailing list FAQ and producer comments? For the reference links, you can just use the Wiki page. There's also the creator comments way back on rec.arts.anime below. (Yeah, ya see that right - r.a.anime. Hey, it was the early 90's - it was either mailing lists or usenet.) Ya guys may even notice some familiar names there, including the late Steve Pearl and Gundam translator ex-fansubber extraordinaire Neil Nadelman (ah, the advantage of usenet - the central location where everybody could go):

WMeugniot
Jul 8 1995, 3:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Date: 1995/07/08
Subject: Re: Sailormoon in US

No. The stories were originals. Gundam's structure was based on WW2 in
the Pacific theater, EXO was WW2 in the European theater. Sunrise
graciously helped me out in a storyboard crunch by allowing me to use some
of their artists.

Neil Nadelman
Jul 9 1995, 3:00 am
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Date: 1995/07/09
Subject: Re: Sailormoon in US

WMeugniot <wmeugn> writes:
> Yeh, most of us on EXO loved Gundam. In fact the animation under the
> first season's end credits was by Sunrise. It was my intention to have
> them animate the series as well, but we couldn't work out the business.

A real shame too, since you had the story and the actors.
My one problem with EXO was just the shear inconsistancy of the
animation qualtiy. Some eps. were great, and others...weren't so
great. Smile

So tell us, what would you have done with the show once the
aliens arrived on the scene? And what about that extra Phaeton clone
they never decanted?

Any chance you'd be able to get funding for a video release
to tie up the series' threads?

- Neil

So yes, it was appreciated and talked about, even in anime circles and Gundam fans.

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:
Not necessarily. We used to have Bakugan and Beyblade players here who haven't watched an episode of the animation. It's the challenge of the games that excited them; they didn't care for the storylines.

What exactly is your basis and sample size for this? The Bakugan anime works on commission, oddly enough, so each series after the first was because Nelvana wanted more of it and funded it, since the original series bombed in Japan yet took off in the United States. I can't see them doing that to a show that no one watches. Just because 'a group of kids' don't watch the show doesn't make it the standard. Yes, obviously with a game it's natural there will be people who don't care or know about the show and will still get into it, but the show is still a big part of it.

Just some people in our club. But from observing them, it wouldn't surprise us if they're not the only ones. They get along fine with the game, bar the show. I didn't say it's "standard" - just "not necessarily." It's likely watched by enough kids to stay on air, plus (the inverse of a show getting canned due to toys not selling well despite good ratings) the toys selling well enough to justify keeping the show on air, though we could question Japanese tastes. (Sorry, I don't follow the Neilsen toon ratings as much as I used to.)

TitanXL wrote:

Quote:
They tried with W.I.T.C.H. (actually based on Italian comics), but unfortunately for animation, most American girls prefer watching live-action tween/teen shows with girls and handsome boys they like. (Basically, their own version of fanservice.)

While I wouldn't disagree on the television front, and network executives who almost never greenlight shows with female leads doesn't help, I recall the comics were released in the US and quickly canned in the US due to poor sales, yet shoujo manga does well enough to keep pressing on. Are we sure it's just not a problem with the product itself? Why does every non-manga attempt to get girls into comics end in failure from what I can see?

It lasted up to 8 U.S. graphic novels. It was apparently popular enough in Italy and Europe that Disney took a chance exporting and animating it. Ask the Europeans if it's the product; they'll probably say it's the Americans. Remember, manga is more popular in Europe than in America, if ya wanna question tastes. (We also used to have the 2-tankobon Japanese re-version from Asuka Monthly).

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Here W.I.T.C.H is still on-going. WINX also have comics magazine.

Alos why "Avatar" have to be revolutionary? If we are to judge show just by it's followers it seems we must terrible discredit for example Tezuka's Animerama that didn't start any new trend too. BTW after what you've written in topic about "worst anime ever" your constant rants against every non-Japanese animation sounds really hypocritical.

Quote:
I'd even stretch it so far as to say there's not even really any 'bad shows'. I mean, I always see people bash the crap out of various stuff each season and how it's garbage, except I see a lot of people who do like it, myself included, and I just shrug. Sort of like people who say 'everything this season is garbage' or 'there's only one good show this season'. When you get to that, then it's quite clear the problem is with you, not anime, because everything will appeal to someone, and those shows have lots of viewers so clearly people are finding it enjoyable.
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
The only way to stop piracy would be to create fansubs that cause their watchers to spontaneously combust when watched.

I was going to write a serious answer after this, but upon closer inspection, there IS no serious answer to this question. There is no way to stop piracy that wouldn't either be a.) As draconian as SOPA/PROIP or b.) ineffectual.

We already know that mass suing of the fanbase works as well as shooting yourself in the foot, digital locks and region locking just causes MORE piracy and online streaming will never fully replace anything due to the aforementioned reasons and the lack of any sort of ability to archive shows.

I would have to say that Aniplex has the right idea. They know there are a selection of fans who will pay for the items, and they exploit that to make their profits. While Funimation tries to ineffectually tackle piracy, Aniplex just sits back in the knowledge that their low print run of high cost DVD/Blu-Rays will sell.

So the only real way forward is to release (region free) high quality hard copies for the hardcore fans and (region free) average quality online streaming for the casuals and therefore make the most profit you possibly can while accepting that piracy will always exist.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Titan appears to not be getting it, so I will say this one last time. Continue trying to turn a thread in to your personal "everything not from Japan is awful" soapbox again and you will be moderated. Your soapboxing is just getting completely out of hand and is killing multiple threads a week and generating half our reports. You want to discuss it further then take it to the ANN Feedback forum, but you're done here Titan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
FINALLY Someone makes this point clear. Alot of anime-fans out there forgets this – every single thing has been said and done before. There is nothing truly original left. Therefore, execution is key. Execution determines how good an anime series will turn out. Even a completely overused and milked story can become interesting, even mind-blowing, if it is executed just right.Remember Guilty Crown? Yeah, that anime had TERRIBLE execution.

What I loved about the first episode of this season's Ano Natsu de Matteru was that it had great execution (as expected from Nagai-san), grabbing a worn-out and overused idea and making it interesting again. This series has more potential than any other series so far this season (except Nisemongatari, maybe)… which is actually pretty sad, considering the potential the other series had (especially the High School Boys anime and Another). Very disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5