• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sues A.D. Vision, Sentai, Others for US$8 Million

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people are hating Funimation. I mean, I get where you're all coming from because this isn't what such a small and quickly shrinking market needs, and I agree...but if Funimation is indeed owed 8 MILLION dollars from Sentai, then, well, they should get that 8 million dollars.

I don't want this to be happening either and I hope they settle this fast and cheap, but I'm not holding any grudges against Funimation here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I don't get why people are hating Funimation. I mean, I get where you're all coming from because this isn't what such a small and quickly shrinking market needs, and I agree...but if Funimation is indeed owed 8 MILLION dollars from Sentai, then, well, they should get that 8 million dollars.

I don't want this to be happening either and I hope they settle this fast and cheap, but I'm not holding any grudges against Funimation here. Business is business, and you gotta get your money.

This, exactly. I'm not taking sides yet because - again - I can't read legal crap at all. But from the very basic sound of this, it DOES sound like someone in this is owed money. And if that's the case, then they should get it. That's just logic. Hopefully not too many people use this as a way to endorse their FUNi hatred because it's not the same as whatever their problem is at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, fans, at least you have a year or two (or more, depending upon how the case goes on) to collect the series that you want from these companies... y'know, just in case either doesn't survive the outcome (a horrible thought).

On top of grabbing releases from Bandai before the licenses expire, and picking up titles from a shrinking Media Blasters just in case.

You and your wallet should become well acquainted this year.

I'll hold off all opinions on the case itself until more information comes in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a waste of money. And more like a low blow from Funi to a competitor.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I don't want this to be happening either and I hope they settle this fast and cheap, but I'm not holding any grudges against Funimation here. Business is business, and you gotta get your money.

This, exactly. I'm not taking sides yet because - again - I can't read legal crap at all. But from the very basic sound of this, it DOES sound like someone in this is owed money. And if that's the case, then they should get it. That's just logic. Hopefully not too many people use this as a way to endorse their FUNi hatred because it's not the same as whatever their problem is at all.

But you know they will anyway.

After reading this article twice and calming down, I understand that there is a debt that needs to be paid but to who exactly, we don't know. But like everyone else, I'm just as upset at this and wished this didn't happen.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
But you know they will anyway.

After reading this article twice and calming down, I understand that there is a debt that needs to be paid but to who exactly, we don't know. But like everyone else, I'm just as upset at this and wished this didn't happen.

Oh no doubt. There'll always be those you can't reason with.

But yeah, at this point until someone who can understand legal stuff is able to figure this out later on, I'm just left wishing it hadn't come to this regardless of circumstance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I'm blaming them for now simply because they initiated all that. I'll admit that I don't know all that much in terms of legal matters (and I sure would be pissed if I was owned money that I know I could never get back), but I do know that those kind of cases generally don't end well, especially for the plaintiff. Hence why I see this whole case as a cash-cow for the lawyers, and a terrible thing for the industry. IMHO, Funimation should know better, unless they really have the funds to outlast the defendants.

I have nothing against Funimation, my collection is made of a ton of their products, but I do have a strong feeling that this is a total waste of everyone's money.
MikiKoishikawa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Are you kidding me? Way to go Funimation, way to go...

That was my first thought too...
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
If you can't beat them or compete with them, drive them out of business. The fans be damned.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
How interesting considering ADV still sort of exists as a zombie. I mean, they did sue Gainax in 2011.

But, pulling in the new companies that formed after ADV closed up shop into the lawsuit? Hmm.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly? FUNimation wouldn't make a move like this unless they felt like they had a sure deal. They also wouldn't do this if they didn't feel like it was worth the actual time and investment.

If ADV really did break their agreement, then they dug their own grave. If this puts them and Sentai out of business... well, that's just too bad.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
This was inevitable since Funimation hired Kimura Kaere as a legal advisor.
I believe there is only one way to settle this: FISTICUFFS
Or maybe some sort of MONKEY FIGHT!

/Ah, let em burn, I'm going to buy all my anime from Aniplex now anyway, because I'm bored with having money.
//Yes, I have been drinking heavily since noon. Why do you ask?
///Did you know it is nearly impossible to find SFW pictures of Kaere? What's up with that?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the lawsuit, Funimation claims that ARM also gave Funimation the right to enforce ARM's agreement with ADV, specifically in regard to the debt that ADV owed ARM...

ADV deals with Sojitz, which co-owns ARM.

ARM deals with FUNimation.

FUNimation allegedly controls a portion of ADV debts.

If this is the accurate representation of the information, I'm starting to understand why the closure of ADV was extraordinarily quick and sudden. I couldn't ever imagine waking up one day and Sojitz says "Oh, and by the way, ARM gave a considerable amount of control of your debt to your largest competitor. Have a nice day. We're going back to Japan."

If this interpretation is inaccurate, please feel free to correct it.
mpg13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Fear and loathing in the anime world. Nice!
M-Pyre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
To me, it seems like Funimation is in millions of dollars of debt because they needed the money that ADV owed them. That would make this lawsuit make sooo much sense. Funimation desperately needs the money that they were promised from ADV. Lawsuits involving money like this are often because the plaintiff is in massive debt because of what the person they're suing did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16