• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Studios Sue 4 'Heavy Downloaders' in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Did you manage to at least find something that you may have liked?

Hmm... I did find several things that were full series but where like a couple volumes were out. Utawarerumono was one I have been thinking of in the past that I'll inevitably pick up at some point. I think there was.. something else but I don't recall exactly what. I know it wasn't all available though.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal, don't get me wrong. I just think it's kind of an odd set of volumes (and that's why it is so low priced I know) so sadly since I tend to collect things early or go after box sets at this point, it wasn't as useful for me personally as it might be for others.

I picked up the My Hime deal recently due to the super cheap volumes on that, and I wasn't even that interested in the show (haven't watched any of it yet) but I like good deals as much as the next guy. Sadly I really didn't find anything on this set, though I did go through from A-Z on the list.

That said I still made an order, it was just for regular stuff. I'm really running out of backlog at this point. There is very little anime I've seen or shown interest in I haven't purchased. I bought one volume of Hellsing Ultimate, 1 of Black Lagoon recently, and I will probably buy the rest of those 2 unless I hate the first volumes. That, Samurai X OVA, Escaflowne and Utawaremono is about the only shows I've got left to buy that aren't pre-orders and future dated stuff.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I bought DVDs that I'm missing, and I started with artboxes of certain series so I can buy the individual DVDs since they were cheap. Art boxes come in handy for those things. LOL.

I bough the 4th Volume of Soultaker, since it was the last title I needed, and some Saiyuki titles. I was also looking for some anime movies, like Armitage II (which I disliked, but wouldn't mind collecting).

I can't wait for the next sale. Del Ray Manga? Hell yes.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Well said, although in the city where I live I would point to short-term greediness of our local politicians as the real reasons for homelessness beyond the default homelessness you can find anywhere. I wonder if that's true of major US cities as well.

We were the 6th biggest US city a decade or 2 back, but now we're like 7 or 8.
Here in California one of the major issues is Reagan closing all the state mental hospitals (sort of like his attempt to call ketchup a vegitable to save a buck on the school lunch program, right?).
Plus we get a lot of homeless from other places because we have good weather much of the year. I used to take calls all the time about people wondering how much welfare pays out here & they'd be all excited, but our cost of living is pretty large also. I have a few clients who came out here to change their luck & it didn't happen. Their biggest complaint is how expensive everything is here.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Sometimes I get the impression that it is the case though, that some crimes go punished because of private interests and not public ones. Do you think difficult cases should be avoided for the availability of easier ones?

Unfortunately the easy cases will always be more tempting, but the difficult ones are more rewarding from what I hear. Look at the cops who hide behind overpasses, etc., to pass out speeding tickets. That's not all thet do, though.
And the people with money will always manage to have more "justice" than the rest of us.
Just as certain crimes get ignored in certain areas.
But I assume that's more to do with how understaffed law enforcement agencies are these days. Those rich folks in La Jolla will squak if cops don't respond in 10 minutes over every little thing, so they get more enforcement than other areas.

Quote:
I did say it was a random post, and even if I didn't type it in the way that you did, people could have still went on the site and saw the advertisement, and click to find the titles that were listed/qualified for the discount. Am I wrong?

Actually if someone said "95% off fruit at Albertson's", I'd expect ALL the fruit to be 95% off or I'd be pissed at the person telling me OR the store would get fined if they ran so vague an ad.
And considering this thread is about downloading, your comment was spam.
Did you post it on every thread on the board?
Or just here?

RightStuf owns my soul anyway. (Not my firstborn as they once joked in one of their polls, though. She's worth more than that)
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Yeah, I bought DVDs that I'm missing, and I started with artboxes of certain series so I can buy the individual DVDs since they were cheap. Art boxes come in handy for those things. LOL.

Out of curiosity, which did you buy? It's always possible I haven't looked into them and so didn't' think about it when I glazed over the titles.

Saiyuki is one... well.. the issue with that which has kept me from checking it out is knowing it has an inconsistent dub due to the change in company. This has been my reason for not purchasing the Yu Yu Hakusho movie, though I did buy the series. In some ways this is kind of silly, I mean if I would like it why not get it anyway, but... at the same time there is a lot of good anime and I just really don't like them doing that. I really appreciated Funimation keeping the cast for FMP TSR after watching the original. If they had not done that I'd have been really irritated. Sadly that's not something that happened in the older shows though.

I guess what I have running in my mind is that it'll be as horrible as the dub for the Rurouni Kenshin movie in comparison to the TV show. That was jarring and much of the movie cast was horrible. I was fine with the OVA though, but the different art style and vastly different tone of story made it more allowable.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Quote:
I did say it was a random post, and even if I didn't type it in the way that you did, people could have still went on the site and saw the advertisement, and click to find the titles that were listed/qualified for the discount. Am I wrong?

Actually if someone said "95% off fruit at Albertson's", I'd expect ALL the fruit to be 95% off or I'd be pissed at the person telling me OR the store would get fined if they ran so vague an ad.
And considering this thread is about downloading, your comment was spam.
Did you post it on every thread on the board?
Or just here?

RightStuf owns my soul anyway. (Not my firstborn as they once joked in one of their polls, though. She's worth more than that)

xD So, let me guess, you're mad at me because I made a typo?
If I'm spamming, you shouldn't respond to it. You did to it, though. Angrily, but you did. If you want to burn me as spam, then just ignore my post. But you're smart. I'm not a spambot.

It doesn't change the fact that you didn't have to be so rude just to get your "point" across. It's one thing to be corrected, but to act like a total douche? No.

However, if you really must know why I posted it...

The reason I posted the link is to make an example about DVDs, that they're not all expensive, because I saw the same redundant argument over again, so I thought this would actually "help." Just a little.

>.>; Anyway, if you start asking where I'm posting around, it's kind of creepy, almost stalker-ish like. I don't even know why you bothered to ask.

Yes. RightStuf is awesome.

Xanas wrote:

Out of curiosity, which did you buy? It's always possible I haven't looked into them and so didn't' think about it when I glazed over the titles.

Saiyuki is one... well.. the issue with that which has kept me from checking it out is knowing it has an inconsistent dub due to the change in company. This has been my reason for not purchasing the Yu Yu Hakusho movie, though I did buy the series. In some ways this is kind of silly, I mean if I would like it why not get it anyway, but... at the same time there is a lot of good anime and I just really don't like them doing that. I really appreciated Funimation keeping the cast for FMP TSR after watching the original. If they had not done that I'd have been really irritated. Sadly that's not something that happened in the older shows though.

I guess what I have running in my mind is that it'll be as horrible as the dub for the Rurouni Kenshin movie in comparison to the TV show. That was jarring and much of the movie cast was horrible. I was fine with the OVA though, but the different art style and vastly different tone of story made it more allowable.

xD actually, that was the thing, I did buy the Saiyuki Art Box, no1 and 7. Though I did hear about the whole dub change fiasco. A lot of people weren't happy when it switched to Pioneer. I've never seen the dub movie for Kenshin, but meh. I had SoulTaker #4, and just a random Graphic Novel that was in stock. I didn't fish in the Bargain Bin as much as I wanted due to limited funds. =/

Anime smile; Actually, if you don't mind, we can actually throw this in a PM. I don't want to fall victim to the OT thing.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

xD So, let me guess, you're mad at me because I made a typo?
If I'm spamming, you shouldn't respond to it. You did to it, though. Angrily, but you did. If you want to burn me as spam, then just ignore my post. But you're smart. I'm not a spambot.

It doesn't change the fact that you didn't have to be so rude just to get your "point" across. It's one thing to be corrected, but to act like a total douche? No.

However, if you really must know why I posted it...

The reason I posted the link is to make an example about DVDs, that they're not all expensive, because I saw the same redundant argument over again, so I thought this would actually "help." Just a little.

>.>; Anyway, if you start asking where I'm posting around, it's kind of creepy, almost stalker-ish like. I don't even know why you bothered to ask.

So you randomly posted on a thread about downloaders where the sentiment that the American industry needs to pay for their sins by going bankrupt & you can't see how that seemed to be more of the same "Geneon is dead/ADV is dead.Broccoli is dead?"

I was just wondering if you had been random on other threads.
Sorry it upset you, but it did look like more "Anime is dead, mwahahahahaha" appearing on a thread where downloaders are protesting downloading being prosecuted.
I do intend to place an order on the last day if anything is left (no cash before then) I need 3 Tenchi Universe dvds & I can fill out with a couple others.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

So you randomly posted on a thread about downloaders where the sentiment that the American industry needs to pay for their sins by going bankrupt & you can't see how that seemed to be more of the same "Geneon is dead/ADV is dead.Broccoli is dead?"

I was just wondering if you had been random on other threads.
Sorry it upset you, but it did look like more "Anime is dead, mwahahahahaha" appearing on a thread where downloaders are protesting downloading being prosecuted.
I do intend to place an order on the last day if anything is left (no cash before then) I need 3 Tenchi Universe dvds & I can fill out with a couple others.

o_o; oh, I forgot one thing earlier. I did see some people making tiny posts about DVDs being expensive and such (Voice Acting). I could've sworn I had mentioned it earlier when I wrote the reply to you; I guess not. =/ It was a vague post that had more meaning to it, and I should've made it clear.

I did mention the site on the Buried Treasure thread, because of the Lain article. I thought it would be nice for people to know that the show is still available. I wanted to purchase it myself, so I found it as a weird hint of deja vu.... >.>;;

Anyway, I don't want to kill this thread anymore. If you want to PM me or something, that's cool.

In terms of the thread itself, I don't care if they get prosecuted. I know people say that it's total BS, but I don't feel that there shouldn't be an exception to the rule. It goes so much more into what I feel but I don't want to start a big argument about it. I'm not really good at defending or explaining why I feel the way I do. *shrugs.*

Anyway, I'll make my leave now. I'll just probably lurk around the thread, and if I have anything useful to say, then I'll post. Toodles. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10