• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Studios Sue 4 'Heavy Downloaders' in Singapore

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Greed/Quark: More likely potential value. Agreed that if someone continues to download and watch it must have some value to them. Whether they would have bought it otherwise is another matter. Many people end up buying things they never would have taken a chance on if they had to pay up-front. Even if you were to buy everything you downloaded once it became available in your region, of course, it wouldn't protect you from prosecution.

A lot of people seem to think everyone's neatly split into "downloaders" and "customers". People like in Daimao Raki should keep in mind that, had they been jailed or slapped with a $50,000 fine earlier on, they may not be the loyal customers they are today. The percentage of anime fans who download /some/ fansubs is far from insignificant, and though preventing downloading would cause some to buy more, actually crushing them all would simply take money away from the industry.

Daimao Raki wrote:
I don't download anime(can't say I didn't in the past), but I'm all for the anime companies suing and getting their money.

The thing is that it isn't "another matter." If a company doesn't want to let people sample their product for free, then they have every right to enforce that. If somebody is proving to be a major problem, then why not show a little force? If they really "crushed them all" then people would realize that the need to seek out legal means of viewing.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

A lot of people seem to think everyone's neatly split into "downloaders" and "customers". People like in Daimao Raki should keep in mind that, had they been jailed or slapped with a $50,000 fine earlier on, they may not be the loyal customers they are today. The percentage of anime fans who download /some/ fansubs is far from insignificant, and though preventing downloading would cause some to buy more, actually crushing them all would simply take money away from the industry.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully understand that some people will buy stuff after they've downloaded and watched it. I admit to downloading series from time to time (usually out of print or unlicensed stuff though) however, the difference is, I don't view the downloads as a replacement for a legit copy. I do eventually get around to buying DVDs of shows that I've downloaded and watched a good chunk of.
For me, the line isn't split so much between 'downloaders' and 'customers' it's more like 'those who pay for what they like' and 'those who think they can just get stuff for free'
And to be honest, I don't think they should crush the average downloader. If a person is downloading a few shows here and there, and is still buying DVDs, then I've got no problem with them. It's the serial downloaders, who never put a nickel back into the hobby that they claim they love and 'need' that bug me.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully understand that some people will buy stuff after they've downloaded and watched it. I admit to downloading series from time to time (usually out of print or unlicensed stuff though) however, the difference is, I don't view the downloads as a replacement for a legit copy. I do eventually get around to buying DVDs of shows that I've downloaded and watched a good chunk of.
For me, the line isn't split so much between 'downloaders' and 'customers' it's more like 'those who pay for what they like' and 'those who think they can just get stuff for free'
And to be honest, I don't think they should crush the average downloader. If a person is downloading a few shows here and there, and is still buying DVDs, then I've got no problem with them. It's the serial downloaders, who never put a nickel back into the hobby that they claim they love and 'need' that bug me.

And if you look at who typically gets served with these lawsuits it tends to be the major downloaders. It wouldn't be economically feasible, or advisable, to go after everyone. I will also concede that a little bit probably doesn't hurt, but I don't think that's the case that we have in the article.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
naruhodo569 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Here we go again. It's "Let's stop anime downloads with force - Part II: The New Enemy"

The important thing to remember, kids, is that this really will never stop. Crack down and sue, and people will continue to share and download anyway.

So downloading joins all the alleged "victimless" crimes like prostitution & drugs where the law will keep chipping away.

Yeah, Amsterdam sure went to hell due to legalized drugs and prostitution, unlike major U.S. cities where the moral majority reigns.

Could we please stay on topic?
Kodai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Here we go again. It's "Let's stop anime downloads with force - Part II: The New Enemy"

Alternitive? If you don't mind me asking.

The alternative is "Simultaneous Release". Have the shows on the air in multiple markets within a week or so of each other. Don't mess around with getting liscences and then waiting for a year or 2 before releasing only to DVD. (How long has ADV sat on Keroro Gunso?)

DVDs should also be released worldwide, rather than nation by nation.

Doing that would just about shut down all fansubbing. It would also mean that you could prosecute pirates more easily.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The thing is that it isn't "another matter.".

"Another question", then -- my point was that one does not decide the other. Still, many were talking specifically of the industry's profitability, and in my opinion actual control of their intellectual property regardless of financial loss or benefit is, if not another matter, at least a separate discussion.

In general, though: Sorry Greed and Quark, I mistook your meanings, and you're probably right in this case. I just hope they don't go the way of the RIAA, where two songs is enough for prosecution (it sure has stopped illegal music sharing, though). I feel it unlikely that the size of 'heavy downloaders' DVD collections (or VCD, in this case?) will be considered in court.

On the other side, things have been looking promising for legal methods of downloading anime, lately. Despite my sarcastic remark about music sharing above, it probably has been knocked back considerably by services like iTunes (keeping in mind that Internet usage and computer literacy is growing constantly). Hopefully we'll see a similar effect with anime (and film in general) over the next few years.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

So downloading joins all the alleged "victimless" crimes like prostitution & drugs where the law will keep chipping away. Some will continue to do the illegal activity, but others will stop because they don't really care to have their lives disrupted by being locked up, paying fines or having a criminal record haunt them if they're snagged under a criminal code.

Well yeah, except prostitution and drugs are actually serious issues that don't expectantly occur in a sentence that also contains the word fansub. On a side note Amsterdam is still standing, and as far as I know so is Las Vegas; it is my humble opinion that you should correct yourself in a manner in which you tightly roll the Sunday edition of the New York Times and then strike your head with it whilst verbally reprimanding yourself.

If you decide to follow through with my suggestion, I would be willing to offer further counseling.

Greboruri wrote:
One of the problems with Singapore is probably the lack of anime available on DVD. Sure, there's a lot of stuff on VCD, but it's a really poor video format. Also importing is a pain with the Singapore government rating everything which comes into the country and charging those who have imported DVDs the fees from the censorship board. I know this no real defence for what they did, but I'm just glad I don't live in that country. They are pretty stupid to continue doing what they did, and for not settling out of court. It's also odd that a lot of the copyright enforcement of anime seems to centring on Singapore. Anyone know why? I mean surely most fansubs aren't downloaded from there. I would have thought the majority of downloaders would be from the US. ...

I've also heard about the lackluster Singapore situation, and I'm a little divided on the issue. I seem to recall that the customs officials actually seized foreign DVDs as a measure of protecting the local market, although I couldn't be sure that's the case. In any event, it seems that Odex has a monopoly on the anime market in Singapore, and without readily available competition to apparently uninspired releases I kind of sympathize with downloaders there. If all that is true it must be really frustrating to be faced with nothing but sloppy merchandise. I wouldn't be sad if someone like Odex went out of business.

Of course fansubbing isn't a good long term solution for anybody who genuinely cares about anime. I think now that American companies are more willing to cater to the demands of consumers with internet streams this will have a positive influence for places like Singapore. Continual pressure for Odex to meet the standards of better companies, even those abroad, has to be worth something.
Mo0bZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the topics that i have to take both sides on. It is and I repeat it is legal to download a backup copy of any copyrighted material unless put on a disk. If you do not have an actually copy of the disk then i think they should sue the pants of anybody with the balls to download something they don't already own.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
test possible bootleg link found in ann advertisement.. www.[This is a known Bootleg Site]

I was pretty sure...
kevin_video

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Alternative? How about producing a product people want to pay for.

My theory is, if you liked a series enough to download and watch it all the way through, then you liked it enough that you should be paying for it. Obviously it was worth something, otherwise, why waste time downloading it?

That's actually a really dumb comeback, and rather pointless too. See, that's like saying that every single possible TV show you ever watched, especially right through, you should be paying for. Should I be sending you a bill for reimbursing that childhood of yours? Or any of the series you watch now on TV? How about everyone else? Should they be paying for what's on TV just because they happened to watch it right through? No. We watch it because it's available. That's why. If it wasn't there, then the temptation wouldn't be there. Why do we watch what's on TV? Do we like it? Maybe, but not necessarily. We watch it because it's on. Sometimes it's because it's the best of the worst that's on during that time slot. And in before all the "well it's licensed, and the commercials help pay for it" blah blah blah. So? It's still just a matter of it being there. Just because it's licensed doesn't mean that the commercials are going to pay for the terrible ratings it's geting if no one's watching it.

I admit that I download anime. Why? Because of other people's recommendations. Do I still buy anime? Sure I do, but only the ones that are really good in my books. Others may not agree with my opinion on what's good, and what's not, but it's my nonetheless. So if I want to side with the person that said "How about producing a product people want to pay for", I will. Why? Because I've probably dropped close to 200 anime after watching just the first 3-7 episodes because it SO wasn't for me. And that's the thing. A lot of series out there are not for all of us. Just because one person like Girls Bravo and Eiken, doesn't mean everyone will. I know I sure didn't, but I know people who'd crucify me if they knew I didn't enjoy it on the same plain as them.

And no, nothing good comes from suing people. Just look at Napster and Metallica, and how many fans dropped them. Then look at mp3 downloads and Limp Bizkit, and how many fans they gained.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

In all seriousness, there really isn't a alternitive. If the company doesn't do anything, more and more money will be lost. Despite what some fans think, anime isn't exactly cheap to make.

Kudo's to the company's suing the pirates.

Sorry to point it out,but,I'm pretty sure the correct spelling is "alternative". Moving on....

As far as suing "heavy downloaders" go,well,they might as well start throwing lawsuits at ANN. I mean,how else do you think they've been doing the anime preview guides for each season since like '04? These people talk big Sh*t like,"oh boy,doing this is really gonna stop em". But,I know that there is no other way do deal wih the problem. If you people have more effective techniques,than lets hear them!!! My thing is... STOP UPLOADERS!!! That's the root of the "problem".

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
As far as alternatives go, I'd be fine with media getting a fair cut or tax from internet usage (especially if they were to focus this on higher bandwidth users, which would include me). I'm also a strong proponent of subscription online services, though they don't exist for anime really right now.

They could also try releasing faster, there are many many shows I watched last year I'd love to buy (ef, clannad, rental magica) with no clear release dates...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Well yeah, except prostitution and drugs are actually serious issues that don't expectantly occur in a sentence that also contains the word fansub. On a side note Amsterdam is still standing, and as far as I know so is Las Vegas; it is my humble opinion that you should correct yourself in a manner in which you tightly roll the Sunday edition of the New York Times and then strike your head with it whilst verbally reprimanding yourself.
Vegas here,and yes we do have out of control drugs and prostitution.Thank you.And yes,we are still standing but unfortunately You just broke our "what stays in Vegas" rules.That's punishable by free drinks and 12 hours of BlackJack at the Palms.

dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
If you decide to follow through with my suggestion, I would be willing to offer further counseling.
Heh,you just offered counseling to an officer of the law.I don't think that will work.

As far as heavy downloaders go,it sounds like they went after big trafficking pirates,not Joe Shmo the leach.

504NOSON2 wrote:
As far as suing "heavy downloaders" go,well,they might as well start throwing lawsuits at ANN. I mean,how else do you think they've been doing the anime preview guides for each season since like '04? These people talk big Sh*t like,"oh boy,doing this is really gonna stop em". But,I know that there is no other way do deal wih the problem. If you people have more effective techniques,than lets hear them!!! My thing is... STOP UPLOADERS!!! That's the root of the "problem".
That may be the root of the problem but how do/would you stop uploaders? It takes a few minutes to make a torrent and/or a DDL of something you want to share.How would you stop this,short of a Narc program.They're doing packetsniffing now,but there are ways around that.There is nothing short term that I can see.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
kevin_video wrote:
Quark wrote:
edzieba wrote:
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Alternative? How about producing a product people want to pay for.

My theory is, if you liked a series enough to download and watch it all the way through, then you liked it enough that you should be paying for it. Obviously it was worth something, otherwise, why waste time downloading it?

That's actually a really dumb comeback, and rather pointless too. See, that's like saying that every single possible TV show you ever watched, especially right through, you should be paying for. Should I be sending you a bill for reimbursing that childhood of yours? Or any of the series you watch now on TV? How about everyone else? Should they be paying for what's on TV just because they happened to watch it right through? No. We watch it because it's available. That's why. If it wasn't there, then the temptation wouldn't be there. Why do we watch what's on TV? Do we like it? Maybe, but not necessarily. We watch it because it's on. Sometimes it's because it's the best of the worst that's on during that time slot. And in before all the "well it's licensed, and the commercials help pay for it" blah blah blah. So? It's still just a matter of it being there. Just because it's licensed doesn't mean that the commercials are going to pay for the terrible ratings it's geting if no one's watching it.

I admit that I download anime. Why? Because of other people's recommendations. Do I still buy anime? Sure I do, but only the ones that are really good in my books. Others may not agree with my opinion on what's good, and what's not, but it's my nonetheless. So if I want to side with the person that said "How about producing a product people want to pay for", I will. Why? Because I've probably dropped close to 200 anime after watching just the first 3-7 episodes because it SO wasn't for me. And that's the thing. A lot of series out there are not for all of us. Just because one person like Girls Bravo and Eiken, doesn't mean everyone will. I know I sure didn't, but I know people who'd crucify me if they knew I didn't enjoy it on the same plain as them.

And no, nothing good comes from suing people. Just look at Napster and Metallica, and how many fans dropped them. Then look at mp3 downloads and Limp Bizkit, and how many fans they gained.

It really doesn't matter if it's "available" or not. Even if the rating are lousy, advertising still pays the bills and the companies involved CHOOSE to make the show available to the viewing public in exchange for that within certain boundaries. In this case, as with most fansubbing, the companies did not choose to allow free access because they were seeing none of that advertising money. So yes, advertising does matter. And I must be strange by your logic because I watch the shows that I like on TV, not just because it happens to be on.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
The thing is that it isn't "another matter.".

"Another question", then -- my point was that one does not decide the other. Still, many were talking specifically of the industry's profitability, and in my opinion actual control of their intellectual property regardless of financial loss or benefit is, if not another matter, at least a separate discussion.

In general, though: Sorry Greed and Quark, I mistook your meanings, and you're probably right in this case. I just hope they don't go the way of the RIAA, where two songs is enough for prosecution (it sure has stopped illegal music sharing, though). I feel it unlikely that the size of 'heavy downloaders' DVD collections (or VCD, in this case?) will be considered in court.

On the other side, things have been looking promising for legal methods of downloading anime, lately. Despite my sarcastic remark about music sharing above, it probably has been knocked back considerably by services like iTunes (keeping in mind that Internet usage and computer literacy is growing constantly). Hopefully we'll see a similar effect with anime (and film in general) over the next few years.

I think we're on the same page now. I definitely agree with your sentiments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10