• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 7 Anime Characters with Terrible Karma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chomesuke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Not to undermine these choices, because they're all good, but I am preeeetty sure the real #1 on this list should be Guts from Berserk. It's more clear in the manga than in the anime, but come on. spoiler[ The guy is considered cursed from the moment he's born, hated by his foster father, raped by a comrade, then almost killed by his foster father for pretty much no reason. And that's before he's even ten years old! Sad Don't even get me started on Griffith and the horrific stuff he's been subjected to for basically wanting to have his own life. ] I really can't think of anyone with a shittier life than him.

Edit: Actually in retrospect, quite a few characters from Berserk could top this list with him, especially Casca.

Also, Uchiha Itachi would be a good addition. Smile
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Machi didn't show up till the later volumes of the manga (which you should totally read!)—I don't think she was in the anime at all.

I want to, but there are so many volumes that it's a bit expensive to buy them legally. I only own the first and second volume. And I like anime more than manga (sound, color, movement Wink). Someday I will read it! I think...
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I didn't even think of Dr. Tenma when I read the list title, which produced a royal facepalm when I got down to #1. You can't really top what the poor guy goes through, all because he made the right decision in the first episode.

Exactly! That's a perfect choice for number 1. Poor, poor Dr. Tenma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Lys wrote:
Machi didn't show up till the later volumes of the manga (which you should totally read!)—I don't think she was in the anime at all.

I want to, but there are so many volumes that it's a bit expensive to buy them legally. I only own the first and second volume. And I like anime more than manga (sound, color, movement Wink). Someday I will read it! I think...

Fruits Basket is well worth the investment. That or see if your local library has it. If you want to buy it, do it soon while the volumes are still around.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
Bad karma? Excel Saga's Pedro: Noooooooooooooooo! Laughing

vanfanel wrote:
Shu, Sis, and Sara from "Now and Then, Here and There" had it pretty rough.

They all deserved what they got there. Razz
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
I thought Ranma Saotome would show up for sure here. The poor guy got a CRAPLOAD of scorn heaped his way through the series and, while he wasn't exactly the heroic selfless type, it was borderline disproportionate retribution. I pitied him for having almost half the entire cast conspire against him at any given point.

Then again, it eluded me for years that Ranma 1/2 was also supposed to be a comedy.
'

Not sure which show you have been watching friend, but everyone I know finds Ranma 1/2 to be hilarious! I see some very dark toned fanfiction based on it, but the original is certainly a gag a minute or more, and makes me bust a gut laughing. The original manga is possibly even funnier. Besides, Ranma himself is not exactly a saint, so I can't agree on the Karma angle.

Anyway.

-------

Thanks for adding Pirates! That was my vote, though I am enjoying Amagami SS + as well, it's bubblegum and Pirates is meat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3