• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libraries Offer Manga Ent. Titles for Digital Borrowing

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
God Bless the library system. Too bad it only works for Windows and is ladened with so much DRM that it becomes tangible.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quite a surprise that public libraries would step in and provide this sort of thing.
Then again, many a library contains 'special interest' material anyway, so I can see how it makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
God Bless the library system. Too bad it only works for Windows and is ladened with so much DRM that it becomes tangible.

if it's accessible from a home computer then there's definitely a way to make that temporary copy permanent especially since it's a download and not a stream. I'm not exactly computer savy enough to pull that off, but you'd be surprised what lengths some people will go to.

That aside it's pretty awesome they're doing this, however are those the only titles they have available, or is that just to start out? I wish the Carnegie library would hone in on this, they already have a monstrous manga selection this would just go hand in hand.
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
You know, if they're calling it borrowing from the very start, I don't have any problem at all with a DRM system that expires content after a while. That's kind of a cool idea.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen some libraries offer audio book downloads that are, essentially, the same idea. Hadn't heard yet about movie downloads, but it doesn't really surprise me.

...it also won't surprise me if they stop doing this in several years when they see DRM-stripped copies on the torrent sites.

...also, windows only, wtf? Is it so hard to make things mac compatible these days??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
fuchikoma wrote:
You know, if they're calling it borrowing from the very start, I don't have any problem at all with a DRM system that expires content after a while. That's kind of a cool idea.

Agreed. I'm miffed that there's no Mac version, but that's what Parallels and Boot Camp are for... I'm all for this.
Crystal Hoser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Wonder how I can get my library system in on this? Sounds pretty neat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:
fuchikoma wrote:

Agreed. I'm miffed that there's no Mac version, but that's what Parallels and Boot Camp are for... I'm all for this.

It'd probably require using the library's computers, not yours, so this seems a non-issue.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually OverDrive's demo on their website shows that the files are portable. It's a neat setup they have.
togarmah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
The library I work at has OverDrive for audiobooks, and its pretty cool. But I don't know if downloadable movies (even anime) is ready for prime time. I mean the previous posts seem to show mostly surprise that libraries have this type of thing. If we (libraries) start offering downloadable movies, can we compete with crunchyroll or xbox live?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1