• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'more Entertainment Adds Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo on U.S. DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
/Funi packed Slayers in pretty tight too, but the sound was mono.

Can this be true? I remember an earlier release of Slayers had a phase problem between the two channels, causing the voice and music and effects to be muted differently when piped through the mono bottleneck in my system at the time. So I would believe there is some difference between the two channels, even if there isn't much.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Can this be true? I remember an earlier release of Slayers had a phase problem between the two channels, causing the voice and music and effects to be muted differently when piped through the mono bottleneck in my system at the time. So I would believe there is some difference between the two channels, even if there isn't much.
On Funimation's set of Season 1, only the dub was in mono but the Japanese was in stereo.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, thanks S'more! Who knew in 2012 Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo would be back in print!

Now wouldn't it be amazing if Comedy Central would take a chance on anime by picking this and Excel Saga up...still highly unlikely, of course...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Is it getting a new dub?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it getting a new dub?

It hasn't been mentioned specifically, but I highly doubt it. They mentioned one of the reasons they bought it was because it had been run on TV. They will likely stick with that dub.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

The old CPM DVDs had those issues with sound for the Japanese audio. FUNi's DVDs have 6 or 7 episodes per disc with mono for English, stereo for Japanese (though IIRC, Season 3 also had stereo English? I could be wrong). Of course, Revolution/Evolution-R had 5.1 audio for English.

I'm pretty sure these will be double-sided discs, but it's possible they'll cram 9 episodes onto each disc... unlikely though. The Lionsgate release for Speed Racer crammed 13 episodes onto each disc, and time compressed several episodes (as if the characters weren't talking so fast already).
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll be, this is something that I've been waiting to see but never did I think that this company would pick up the rights. It most certianly was because the dub was already completed but still I didn't see this coming.
Maybe the 2012 anime year can be salvaged after all.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it getting a new dub?

Why would it need a new dub? I prefer the dub that aired on Cartoon Network myself.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Iiinteresting first license. If they're going to save Toei titles like this...can we please get the rest of Digimon Data Squad?

Don't forget all the other seasons as well!! Especially Tamers!!
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Time to bump this!

Source!

Quote:
I got the first S'more Entertainment set today, but, unless I'm being stupid, the subtitles appear to be missing. Neither in menu nor manually selectable. The packaging and their website does say there should be subs. Shame, I'd been looking forward to it. Might have to put up with the dub this time.

So i guess we should expect to see the same treatment done with Galaxy Express 999. Mad
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Missing subs confirmed!

Source!

Gasshuberu wrote:
I just got the boxset from Amazon this morning, and I'm sorry to report that the subtitles are indeed absent. Not on the menu, not selectable by remote, and not viewable when selecting Japanese audio. All four discs are like this! I even analyzed disc one with my computer just to be sure; zip, zilch, nada. However, the whole package is superb. The dics come in two regular DVD cases housed inside a lighty matte-finished slipbox.

I sent an email to S'more and posted on their Facebook page. I'll let you guys know when they respond! Smile

And even more problems...

Gasshuberu wrote:
Sorry to double-post, but I've got an extra bit of odd news; the discs will not bootup again. I thought it may have been my PS3 suddenly going wonky, but other discs are playing fine. Seems there are other authoring issues afoot....
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Well Galaxy Express is still a ways off. I'm sure quality control will be more thorough after this mishap.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm giving this a friendly little bump. More people need to know about this issue. I was planning on buying this box set myself, but now I know to wait until S'more has their stuff sorted out before I drop my cash on it. Even though I'm mainly a fan of the dub and would probably just watch it, I still believe in getting the FULL experience, particularly when the company putting the product out on sale specifically states both on their website listings and the packaging itself that it contains English subtitles. THAT my friend is false advertising.

Perhaps ANN should make this an official news article? If anyone could get in touch with the bigwigs at S'more and get an official response, it would be them.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Source!

Shift wrote:
*There are 38 eps on 4 disks; 10 on the first three and 8 on the last.
*English and Japanese audio are included with the original Japanese video and logos, which looks and sounds remarkably good on my HDTV considering all that's packed in there.
*Bad news: no on-screen subtitles for either language! Good news: disk 4 has PDFs of the translated Japanese scripts for all 38 eps!
*The box holds two cases with two DVDs each, and each includes an insert with episode descriptions.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Lol, I don't know how PDFs you have to print out = subtitles.

EDIT: From their Facebook account:

Offering our apoplogies....there was no intent to mis-lead the fans. There was a mis-communication internally and even though at least 10 people proofed the packaging, the fact the packaging incorrectly said 'sub-titled' was missed by everyone, incluiding byTOEI. As best as I understand, the series was only available in Japanese language or dubbed into English, it was never sub-titled. Galaxy Express 999 will only be available in Japense or sub-titlerd as they never did an English language version (according to TOEI)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4