• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this series, never saw the original one but i look forward to seeing where this is going. some one posted a translation from an interview with director(i think it was) where he said that the show gets alot darker down the line and that to view this series in a long term way. i guess that means look at where the show is going rather then where it currently is.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to catching up on this just now, and it's going to be part of my Sunday morning routine henceforth. What I look for in a show is characters I can genuinely like (Leorio is currently my favorite, but I find all four of the protagonists sympathetic), a certain minimum degree of weirdness, and non-stupid writing, and it's got all that.

I think the point at which it earned my full respect was getting an entertaining episode out of a story which was basically "Everyone runs down a long tunnel and then up some stairs."

I'm coming to this show with no prior knowledge of the manga or the previous adapatation, so for those of you reading this thread to decide whether or not to watch it, YMMV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
For those of you sitting on the fence, I implore you to watch this. It will reach a level of depth almost unprecedented for a shonen series. Pay attention to everything about the characters--the protagonists' flaws especially. This series is just as much of a psychological study as it is entertainment.

Also, rethink your definition of what it means to be a "bad guy" in fiction. Especially in Hunter x Hunter. Would you consider Hisoka to be a "bad guy"? How about Geretta or Leroute?

I'm so glad that this show is back, and I'm really excited for you new fans to experience one of the best Shonen manga series around. Smile
TolueneTyrant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with Mr. Toto. I watched the original series up until GI final and never got around to finishing it, mostly because It just killed me to know that the series would be over with more material still available for adaption down the road. Eventually, I forced myself to finish it, but I was overwhelmed with news of its remake.

I think I have a soft spot for the show though, as I was one of many who had their first exposure to anime through DBZ, and Gon definitely has a Son Goku quality about him.

But I think the main selling point for me will be whether or not the series continues past the greed island story arc. I would love to see that chapter told at a better pace. All I can do is wait to hear of a season renewal.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Man I can't wait till this Exam arc is over...and the next arc should end ASAP too. I just want the anime to get to York Shin arc, and afterwards, rush through Greed Island so they can get onto the Chimera Ants.

Quote:
People want to be Hunters, and the position seems to hold prestige and they are apparently considered to be made up of “good guys,” benevolent explorers and treasure hunters.

It's important to point out that there is quite a bit of overlap between typical good guy traits and typical bad guy traits in HunterXHunter. For example, the Genei Ryodan that Kurapica mentioned, they definitely are evil, yet they also display a lot of traits typically only found in good guys in shonen anime(spoiler[many of them are childhood friends, individual members are quite close, the leader worries far more about the well being of his friends than his own well being, etc. are all traits you only find in your average shonen good guy group]).

Hunters are "good" in general, as in they ultimately do more good than bad. But they also kinda have traits of an evil organization set in a dystopian world. As you mentioned yourself, the exam itself, siccing murderers and criminals on examinees, exposing them to dangerous beasts and traps, allowing the likes of Killua and Hisoka even though Hisoka even killed an examiner in the past. Plus, they practically privatized entire chunks of the world. Many parts of the world are restricted to Hunters only.

I think Neon, a character yet to be revealed, perfectly reflects HxH's world. She's definitely a good guy, but that hobby of hers. Shocked
Mr. Toto wrote:

How about Geretta or Leroute?

I watched the previous anime, following this new anime, and up to date with the latest chapter of the manga....

These two names sound familiar, but who were they again?
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:

I watched the previous anime, following this new anime, and up to date with the latest chapter of the manga....

These two names sound familiar, but who were they again?

Geretta is the huntsman that targets Gon during the Fourth Phase on Zevil Island, while Leroute is the only female prisoner in Trick Tower.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't see anything in the rules about double posting, so I thought I'd talk about this series again.

Have you seen the latest episode yet? Some of you might have noticed how different it may have been in the 1999 series. For those of you lamenting the loss of Kurapika's fight against Hisoka in Madhouse's adapataion, that's actually a good thing from a directorial standpoint. In the manga, their battle is reduced to three panels of non-combative scenes. Satotz only tells you that the two scrap for a little bit before Hisoka whispers in Kurapika's ear and forfeits. The important thing about the Final Phase isn't the fights--it's like Gon said; it's a battle of wills.

The Final Phase is important to the series, however, because of the dialogue. The matches of Gon v. Hanzo and Killua v. Illumi are almost completely nonviolent, but are intended to set up incredibly crucial things about each character that you'll see (and soon understand) in episodes to come. This series of chapters in the manga was entitled "Light and Darkness," and one of the manga's cover pages was this:

Pay attention to Gon and Killua. Ask yourself why did Togashi have Gon pass and Killua fail? What did they do right in their respective matches and what did they do wrong? Were there other options or alternative solutions? And how would they have solved the matter in a more effective way? What would each have done in the other's shoes and how would the result of the match have changed?

The major climax of the arc still hasn't really even happened yet. It's sort of clear (to a reader of the manga) where the directors consider the end of the first arc to be (and possibly Togashi himself) and we're only halfway there.
SaberX99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I watched 20 episodes of this show yesterday.

I guess I'm hooked now. Smile
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Two more arcs until York Shin city...and both arcs are relatively short!...by HunterxHunter standards.

Quote:
And how would they have solved the matter in a more effective way?

Well if they had switched places, Killua would just beat Hanzo and move on, Hanzo would have wiped the floor with Pokkles since he's weaker than Gon, and then Gon will wipe the floor with Pokkles. The one who fails would be Pokkles. Then the next arc wouldn't have to exist!

It's actually kinda funny how weak Pokkles is, to the point where he even spoiler[gets killed by non-nen users much later int he series.]. I guess he was added in for realism, you can't have everyone be super strong in the exam.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Yay! Two more arcs until York Shin city...and both arcs are relatively short!...by HunterxHunter standards.

I actually disagree with this. I think that the 2011 anime series is going to do something that makes viewers redefine their notion of how long the first major arc is in this series. You'll understand why in the next episode.

Gon*Gon wrote:
Quote:
And how would they have solved the matter in a more effective way?

Well if they had switched places, Killua would just beat Hanzo and move on, Hanzo would have wiped the floor with Pokkles since he's weaker than Gon, and then Gon will wipe the floor with Pokkles. The one who fails would be Pokkles. Then the next arc wouldn't have to exist!

I'll point you in the right direction: Gon refused to give up to Hanzo. He was tortured for three hours, had his arm broken, and then was held at knifepoint by a man who had the capacity to destroy him physically (and still win). However, Gon was lucky because Hanzo is a generous person. Hanzo actually likes people; Gon managed to keep his life because Hanzo was actually nice to him. As Killua said in this episode, Hanzo surely knew many ways to make Gon surrender without actually killing him. But Hanzo didn't employ those because of his character.

Now let's analyze Killua vs. Illumi. Illumi threatens to kill Gon if Killua tries to fight him. Despite everyone's insistence that they'll keep Gon safe from Illumi, Killua loses because he chooses to forfeit the match.

My question was more supposed to be "how would Gon have reacted if he was the one facing Illumi"--the same goes for Killua and Hanzo. Would Gon have surrendered? Would Killua stay and fight?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really disliked the lighting used in the most recent episode. Going back to the 1999 version, the arena is very dark. When Illumi is talking to Killua, the background in almost blood red. The tones/colors really fits the mood. Contrast this with the remake which has the arena bright as day with that same perpetual light going on while Illumi is completely obliterating the wills/desires that had sprouted up from Killua ever since meeting Gon. It just simply did not fit. Luckily though, it seemed whoever was in charge of the BGM figured out that the current status quo was terrible. So they had one or two tracks added in this episode that did a wonderful job. Now if only they can stop those two really annoying themes from ever playing again.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
yeah but why would it be in a dark room? i mean i gotta think they can afford proper lighting for the last phase.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now let's analyze Killua vs. Illumi. Illumi threatens to kill Gon if Killua tries to fight him. Despite everyone's insistence that they'll keep Gon safe from Illumi, Killua loses because he chooses to forfeit the match.

My question was more supposed to be "how would Gon have reacted if he was the one facing Illumi"--the same goes for Killua and Hanzo. Would Gon have surrendered? Would Killua stay and fight?

Ah well if you phrase it like that it's different. I still say Killua can be Hanzo, though with some effort. At this point Killua is still miles ahead of Gon in terms of physical strength and agility. He wouldn't get beaten down as easily. Though he'd still get hurt.

I don't see Illumi giving Gon any mercy, and he can probably do some nasty thing to Gon's mind with just his needles alone. If they did fight, Illumi would be the winner imo. Unlike Hanzo, he was never won over by Gon's....childlike stubbornness. Illumi would thoroughly crush Gon.

Though Togashi would have to cough up a reason why Gon would lose to someone like Pokkles first if he traded places with Kil.

PS - a large part of why Killua did not fight or even oppose Illumi actually has to do with something that won't be explained faaaaar later in the manga. Illumi knows that Killua will never raise a hand against him no matter what.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
yeah but why would it be in a dark room? i mean i gotta think they can afford proper lighting for the last phase.

This is true. I agree that the 1999 series set a nice mood by having their match take place at sunset, but it doesn't make much sense to hold a martial arts tournament in a dark room. Artistically, it's wonderful. But logistically, sort of flawed.

Gon*Gon wrote:
Ah well if you phrase it like that it's different. I still say Killua can be Hanzo, though with some effort. At this point Killua is still miles ahead of Gon in terms of physical strength and agility. He wouldn't get beaten down as easily. Though he'd still get hurt.

While the latter part is true, I don't think that Killua would have the ability to defeat Hanzo. That's all I'll say for now, but I'll respond to this thoroughly sometime in the future.

Gon*Gon wrote:
I don't see Illumi giving Gon any mercy...If they did fight, Illumi would be the winner imo. Unlike Hanzo, he was never won over by Gon's....childlike stubbornness. Illumi would thoroughly crush Gon.

Yes. It's imperative that you keep this in mind while watching this version of the series.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
How things go now?

Does anyone watch the new series?

Are you satisfied with the shortcuts?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 52