• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
....Aren't the companies that license, translate, and distribute the manga American? You are buying American when you buy manga, I believe. American jobs and all that.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
"Hey guys! Please buy american (because we can't compete with American Indy, never-mind Japanese Comics), please? We won't do anything smart like retcon Starfire (or do anything to make her less of a brazen whore) to make sense of her Teen Titians (TV) incarnation or anything of the sort, but please come back to us!"

"We'll reset the continuity again!"
daggerbob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
So they want to tear down the manga industry since they couldn't hack the business with their CMX imprint. Maybe they would still be publishing manga if they didn't censor so much of the titles they did publish.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Okay, for the record, I can't help but find this dumb myself. However putting that aside for a minute, I couldn't help but browse the comic book section in the Toonzone forum to see if there was any mentioning of this ad. It turns out there was also a generally negative reaction to this as well as a bit of info from Toonzone reviewer, Ed Liu who more or less gave a bit of insight on who specifically did the ad.

Ed Liu wrote:
DC Comics DID NOT create this ad. This is an ad from a retailer. It seems that DC is partially funding for the ads, but through a program that assists comic book dealers with advertising costs. I don't think they have any control over the content. Either way, I think slamming DC for this ad is sending venom at the wrong target. If you want to fling mud at anyone or boycott a company, I'd direct that at A Comic Shop in Orlando, FL (their address is right there at the bottom).

I think they aren't going to get many offers because it's a rotten deal, even if you can't get back anything close to cover price for vol. 1 of a manga. I also think the "Buy American" is meant a joke, but it's easy to misconstrue.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I have no animus toward American comics; I actually think that people who are interested in manga would do well to give them more consideration, but the superhero comics that dominate DC's lineup, and have become the flagbearers for American comics generally, seem to be a sort of cul-de-sac. They seem trapped in appealing to a very particular, fixed audience that might be reliable, but grows little and likes things that are inaccessible to outsiders. Ideally the would be developing a more diverse set of titles or finding some way to make its standard titles appealing to a wider audience. I can't imagine it doing the former, I can't see how the latter could be done and I struggle to imagine either succeeding even if tried.

you pretty much explained most anime and manga situation outside the current, on-ging Big 3 franchises Laughing
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
If I lived near that comics shop, I'd dump my collection of comics on their counter and demand they trade it for manga. I would love to get rid of some comics that i've had for 20+ years. And apparently, now is the time.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
What bothers me the most about this is that DC used to print manga, and when they shut down their CMX imprint, they left so many wonderful, licensed titles out of print and/or unfinished, most of it shojo.

They also happen to publish some of the more innovative and creative American titles under their Vertigo line.

Their main DC line? Well, let me know when they do anything interesting. I'd be particularly interested when they start recognizing, hiring, and respecting the work of female and minority writers and artists.

And *where* exactly, are all these graphic novels, comic books and manga being printed, anyway?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
....Aren't the companies that license, translate, and distribute the manga American? You are buying American when you buy manga, I believe. American jobs and all that.

Yeah, I bought like 150 CMX manga. I live in the Netherlands and over 70% of the manga I own was translated in the US by American companies. I guess that's not good enough in the eyes of DC. Oh well.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I bought like 150 CMX manga. I live in the Netherlands and over 70% of the manga I own was translated in the US by American companies. I guess that's not good enough in the eyes of DC. Oh well.

I don't imagine there's much of a market for manga translated into Dutch. Or am I wrong?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
Laughing While I do support buying American made products, I'm just not into American Comics.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't imagine there's much of a market for manga translated into Dutch. Or am I wrong?

There is, but it's tiny. We do get some nice things though, like Liar Game and Doubt. The Dutch One Piece translation is amazing. Oh, and Tezuka titles are handled really well.

Since there's so little to choose from, most Dutch manga fans also read manga in English, French or German.

It's the same with American comics. Very few titles are translated to Dutch. If you want to read them, you need to buy imported copies. As a result, manga and American comics tend to sit happily together in the English section of comic shops.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

There is, but it's tiny. We do get some nice things though, like Liar Game and Doubt. The Dutch One Piece translation is amazing. Oh, and Tezuka titles are handled really well.

Since there's so little to choose from, most Dutch manga fans also read manga in English, French or German.

It's the same with American comics. Very few titles are translated to Dutch. If you want to read them, you need to buy imported copies. As a result, manga and American comics tend to sit happily together in the English section of comic shops.

That sounds like a very happy medium. Small, but varied. I wonder what the comics scene is like in Belgium? I have a cousin in Antwerp, and my family's been meaning to visit... of course, they'll probably all think I'm nuts if I insist on spending time going to comic book stores during my first trip to Europe, but it sounds irresistible to me! Smile
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That sounds like a very happy medium. Small, but varied. I wonder what the comics scene is like in Belgium?

It's interesting to say the least, the Belgian comics industry is one of the biggest in the world, but just like the country itself, it's divided by a language barrier. It's like having two comics scenes, a French and a Dutch one, that overlap. Manga is also huge, though there are a select few comic book stores that have the same attitude as the one in this news article...

Quote:
I have a cousin in Antwerp, and my family's been meaning to visit... of course, they'll probably all think I'm nuts if I insist on spending time going to comic book stores during my first trip to Europe, but it sounds irresistible to me!

Comics are a rather big thing in Belgium and the industry has produced more than a few iconic characters. For a foreigner to be interested in it, that's a big compliment. (Well, I'm Dutch, so I can only be proud by proxy, but since I grew up with these comics, I'll take it as a compliment too Smile )

Some of the best comic shops are located in prime locations, so you'll probably walk past a few anyway. Might as well go inside to check them out, right? Most comics there will be in French, but even if you don't understand the language, it's worth it to pick up a DB or two just for the art.

Oh yeah, I've never been there myself, but I heard the Belgian Comic Strip Center is a great museum for anyone who is interested in the history of Belgian comics. Brussels isn't that far from Antwerp if you go by train.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

Comics are a rather big thing in Belgium and the industry has produced more than a few iconic characters. For a foreigner to be interested in it, that's a big compliment. (Well, I'm Dutch, so I can only be proud by proxy, but since I grew up with these comics, I'll take it as a compliment too Smile )

The Tintin film did $13 million in Japan.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:42 am Reply with quote
Oh DC, you trollin'. You know what? I would by American -- if there was an American comic WORTH OWNING. Or if you had any characters that didn't predate my grandfather. Or you got rid of the rampant misogyny (well, Japan has that problem too). In other words, you be better off spending your ad money on someone with actual ideas that don't involve superheroes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9