• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aquarion Evol (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote

Aquarion Evol (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, romance, science fiction
Themes: aliens, fanservice, fighting, future, goddesses, gods, love triangle, mecha, special abilities, Unrequited Love

Plot Summary: 12,000 years have passed in this world, the story of Apollon and Sylvie have become a children's story called "Skies of Aquaria". The "Abductors" Invaders from Altea come to Earth with only one purpose: they invade to harvest humans. DEAVA the Aquaria Academy exists to train men and women to use Aquaria, but they cannot ever merge because of Guize stones, these block an "unholy union" between genders. The story follows Amata and Mikono in their enrollment into DEAVA, and fight the Abductors.
----------------------------------

This doesn't have a thread yet, right? I also don't think it's being simulcasted, so it might have a limited audience here. Someone might want to correct me on that though.

Anyway yeah, I splurged the first 2 episodes (or is it 3? I think 1+2 were aired together) tonight, was impressed with what I saw. I wasn't bowled over in terms of story, but the production is absolutely spot-on. I've never seen any of the original Aquarion franchise, so maybe I'm missing key plot elements? Do you need prior knowledge of the franchise to enjoy this one?

Very impressive visuals, cute characters, meh story.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
You can easily think of the show as a reincarnation of the first show, which is thematically pretty cool. There are many of the same elements, even if they aren't literally identical. The original itself was a reincarnation of a hypothetical story in the past, so it's not that big a deal if you haven't seen the original. If you like what you see, you might consider checking the original out, though.

These characters aren't making much of an impression on me, which is a big change from the first series. Other than that, it's every bit the stupidly entertaining nonsense party the first series was.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually finished up the first series a few weeks ago so I could check this one out. So far I think this one is a decent step up. I like the characters more. I the find the story to be a little more coherent. And I think its paced a bit better as well. Its nothing great, but I'm enjoying it.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
I the find the story to be a little more coherent.

Funny that that was your only semi-incoherent sentence. Wink

Eivion wrote:
Its nothing great, but I'm enjoying it.

From what I've seen so far of EVOL: It's an anime you may enjoy, but it's not one that you recommend to your friends.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
This seems like the creator is a fan of Vandread. So far the series is pretty good.
jerin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Hi, who is the Japanese Voice cast for the main character "Amata Sora"? It is not listed in the Anime News Network guide page to the anime. His voice sound like Ouma Shu in Guilty Crown. Question
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wikipedia, god bless its soul, says it's Yūki Kaji, so you're spot on thinking it's Shu.

It is Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this incarnation much more than Aquarion. I really found the characters in Aquarion unpleasant to spend time with. I like this bunch much better. Can't help imagining what this show would look like in BD on muh 54" plasma.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm enjoying this incarnation much more than Aquarion. I really found the characters in Aquarion unpleasant to spend time with. I like this bunch much better. Can't help imagining what this show would look like in BD on muh 54" plasma.
I have the opposite reaction, even this far in. While Aquarion's characters may have been unpleasant, I still recognized them as characters. I dunno about this bunch. They feel like they're just... there.

It's not a big deal, though. It's still Aquarion, with the ridiculously overdramatic Fudo, and Aquarion breaking out some incredibly ridiculous attack move as a super-triumphant song bursts into the background. It's almost daring people to criticize it. "Go on, then. You got something to say? Yeah, didn't think so."
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this show. I'm enjoying it. There are a lot of things I'm still confused about. I'm thinking that any elemental woman can make it through the portal to Vega, but many others think that's not true.

Looks like Amata's mother is spoiler[Silvia who is encased in liquid in Vega] Perhaps she didn't make it though the portal entirely whole? I wonder who his father is and why she went.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
I'm still enjoying the show, just don't have much to discuss, really. Some aspects like the animation and character design greatly appeal to me but the main plot occasionally has me scratching my head. It's a two cour so I'm hoping stuff will become clearer later on.

It's like Star Driver but without the FABULOUS.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this show. I'm enjoying it. There are a lot of things I'm still confused about. I'm thinking that any elemental woman can make it through the portal to Vega, but many others think that's not true.

Looks like Amata's mother is spoiler[Silvia who is encased in liquid in Vega] Perhaps she didn't make it though the portal entirely whole? I wonder who his father is and why she went.

I figure the father is probably the one leading Altair.
dan7el

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
This last episode was pretty good. Kagura is obviously having spoiler[opposite day each and every day. Hating Mikono isn't.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of hating Mikono, she finished bottom of a 'Girls of Aquarion Evol' poll recently. I don't agree; she's by far my favourite of the lot. The tsundere obsession is still in full swing, it seems, judging by the winner.

Results of said poll, if anyone cares.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Pineapples... Stay away from them.

I've been loving every episode from the beginning and the music is just glorious. The characters are nice and the mecha are awesome even if they're CG. EVOL seems to be very different from Genesis in many ways although there are very notable similarities, mainly characters. I would love to comment more except there isn't much to really talk about.

Now, the latest episode - I've never seen Gen/Zen lose his cool. spoiler[I don't think he expected Jin's death. Damn Mykage be trollin'.] Aquarion Gepard also finally became useful.

Speculation wise, there's really been nothing to really put a basis on who is whose reincarnation. Kagura looks a bit and acts like Apollo. Amata has the Solar Wings and no 'smell' but many think he may be Apollonius's reincarnation. Mikono may be Slyvia due to her 'promise' with Kagura. And Zessica - people think she may be Celiane.

The show is a wild ride and enjoyable as hell. I wish there were more information present to speculate more but the show is already awesome enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4