• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aquarion Evol (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
That dress is hideous. But what's more terrifying is that there's someone out there who designed it. Probably Fudo Zen, who's the only one insane enough to come up with it. Is it flesh-colored, or actually not there?

spoiler[For a second there, I thought they were going to revive the tree of life. And the piece of machinery in the room Andy dug to seemed very familiar. We didn't get much of an explanation for the Cherubim.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

Oh, Zessica... I like you and all but this episode... I couldn't cheer you on. spoiler[Your hotheadedness was just... It costed a team member. I'm grateful that you weren't the victim like I thought you were going to be but Andy suffers because of your actions.] The latter half of this episode made me tear up for some reason - it must have been the music. I love this song so damn much.

I expected a big dramatic fight spoiler[but I guess this one works out fine even if it is one sided. Knowing Aquarion, the next encounter it will unleash a [bigger, better, stronger] special move to beat the Ahru Gnis.] I dig the design of Ahru Gnis though and the Aquarion forms - I totally want to own one.

I think I finally learned my lesson of attempting to predict Kawamori. What I thought would happen did not occur.

Next week spoiler[Andy may be having his first successful gattai.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Next week spoiler[Andy may be having his first successful gattai.]

I hope this is the case, he's long overdue some sort of kickass transformation.

It's a shame the way the episode played out in my eyes, since I was just beginning to warm to Zessica. I've always preferred Mikono in this particular triangle but since Zessica started being a bit more passive spoiler[post-confession], she was going up in my estimation. Totally didn't see the spoiler[Mix thing coming though. I've always liked Andy, but here he is getting the short end of the stick again.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

Let's all have a moment of silence for spoiler[Mix's boobs].

I guess this is this story's spoiler[Futaba].
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
So there's much more than falling into a comma when entering Altair as a female... What was the specific line said several episodes ago about women who've went through the dimension gate? All I remember is the vague line that says spoiler[they don't successfully made it through the dimension gate.] But this episodes show that spoiler[some women make it through the gate successfully but may have changes. i.e. MIX loosing her big bangs, Zessica and Yunoha saying their throats feel strange. I assume this means their body changes. It reminds me of futanari...]

I was hoping for this episode to be like Genesis's episode 19 but I guess this show is a bit more serious. Some intentional bad art would had been funny though.

I'm curious as to what will happen next. The beginning of the episode set up something interesting. spoiler[Zessica didn't really consent to Mykage's promise but he opened up the game anyway. What's the promise?] Waiting for next week's episode is suffering.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
spoiler[Zessica and Yunoha saying their throats feel strange.]
You know, I actually took that to mean there was spoiler[something in the air that kills females off, which led Altair to their current situation, and wasn't related to going through the gate.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:
spoiler[Zessica and Yunoha saying their throats feel strange.]
You know, I actually took that to mean there was spoiler[something in the air that kills females off, which led Altair to their current situation, and wasn't related to going through the gate.]

This was the conclusion I drew also, that spoiler[Altair was uninhabitable to females, hence the sausagefest. Pretty sad seeing Mix lose her two biggest assets, Andy managed to step up to the plate though. Granted, he got captured in the end, but he gave as good as he got for a while.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
Let me go on record as saying that I am NOT in favour of what spoiler[has happened to Mix.] Perhaps one of the most horrifying outcomes I've ever seen in anime. spoiler[ BRING BACK THE TITTIES!!! BRING BACK THE TITTIES!!!]
dan7el

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I am going to predict that the way to reverse the changes is to do a three-way union in Aquarion.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice episode 20's title? spoiler["MI XY"; a portmanteau of the name "Mix" and the "XY" for the male sex chromosome pairing: "male Mix."]

Yunoha has a naughty mouth Laughing
I'm assuming she was affected faster than Zessica due to Zessica having other areas slowing it down.

First time I've seen what someone from Vega is called: "Vegan"
I wonder what they'd call a person that doesn't consume animal products in Vega...
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

Not much learnt or to say about this episode. There's only a few confirmations: spoiler[The Curse of Altair does kill off "Iguras" but the "Iguras" that manage to survive turn into males in both body and mind. This means MIX now packs something down there.

Although they don't really confirm Zen as Gen, they reveal he's sort of an Asian god like figure, a Buddhist Deity to be specific. He's basically omnipresent.]

We need some soap for Yunoha to wash her mouth. A pure innocent girl like her should not say such things. Zessica's spoiler[chest pain may be a result of those tit hammock dress she wore. Why are you still wearing it in the preview, Zessica?! Get rid of it!

In all seriousness, I hope this doesn't indicate the end of Zessica's boobies. She has the biggest assets now that MIX lost hers. I hope traveling back to Vega alters the changes in Altair.]
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

I was getting very frustrated with Aquarion Evol in the last two weeks but this episode saved the show. Prior to watching this episode, I was filled with confusion and rage but now a lot of things make sense. The episode's big reveal does both enhance and dampen Genesis in away. It spoiler[enhances the "screw destiny/fight fate!" aspect of both shows but modifies what you know of Genesis.]

Kawamori spent 7 years elaborating this great troll and it worked pretty damn well. Finding that spoiler[Apollonius never really reincarnated is just a big ass plot twist that shocked me. Apollo was dog's reincarnation all along explains his animal like behavior. Mykage being Touma's reincarnation makes a lot of sense now because it had little basis when theorized. People are claiming Zen/Gen is most likely Apollonius makes some sense but only because of his reaction to Jin's death - Zen/Gen saw Jin in him in the way he betrayed his people for love.]

I applaud Kawamori for this; 10/10, would fall for something like this again.

I like Evol but the drama in the past few episodes lowered my enjoyment of the series but now it's up again because of this episode. It's doesn't have the fun of Genesis but it's very different from Genesis. I find that the main cast of EVOL can be hard to tolerate sometimes and the side cast are awesome. It was the opposite for Genesis - I had a lot of fun with the main cast whilst the side cast felt like random additions.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm largely in agreement with your comparison of the two shows.

I was hoping for a few more twists in the revelations, though. spoiler[Aside from explaining Apollo, the rest are way too obvious. Touma and Mikage so resembled each other I was hoping for something twisted, but no, it's about as straightforward as possible.] I also reiterate my complaint that the show isn't gay enough, and now the show has gone back and even made Aquarion less gay (though more weird). Although, spoiler[you hear the "gay panic" (or really "trans panic") stories about people who find out the girl they're boning has a penis... this one was actually a dog. Bestiality panic leads some people to interdimensional mass murder, I guess.]

I would hesitate to assume the identity of Apollo was planned from the beginning, though. Kawamori would have no way of knowing he'd even get a sequel, would he? Then again, spoiler[with his behavior, and the way that all the flashbacks had the dog inexplicably watching, who knows.]

Overall, I'd say the twist, while clever, is probably one of the least interesting ones that could have been done. It cheapens a lot of the relationships in both shows.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 25

Being a Zessicafag is suffering. First she adopts a tit-hammock dress, next she's spoiler[possessed by Mikage, and now her hair style changes because of the Mikage possession. Damn that fabulous space faggot.]

Amata and Kagura spoiler[fight over the same thing again and doesn't really resolve anything. They're just dancing to Mikage's tune. Funnily enough, the moment Mikono attempts to stop being useless, she's stopped. I guess she'll always be "useless". At least the MIX issue is resolved but her big bangs haven't come back - Andy loves her/him regardless. I had hopes for Andy's gattai chastity to be broken but he gets gattai-blocked. Again.]

The best part of the episode, for me, is perhaps the mecha fight and 'new' form of Aquarion. spoiler[The confirmation - hinting may be a better word - that Fudo Zen/Gen is actually Apollonius was cool. Although, that means we won't find out who the 3rd pilot was 24k years ago in the Genesis timeline. Zen as Apollonius makes sense too considering what Mikage said in one episode about Zen's beautiful form. - how he looked as Apollonius. Zen's a total bro, too. He lets his dog love his lover.]

I'm rambling too much but I'm curious as to how the show will end now.
Killing Kagura off doesn't seem like it'll resolve anything because reincarnations. Merging Amata and Kagura feels like a cop out. I can't imagine EVOL ending like Genesis. Well, with 1 episode left, I hope EVOL will be concluded well. It was a fun ride but sometimes frustrating. Perhaps we'll get a sequel with ShuShu reincarnated and was really in love with Amata the whole time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping for a steamy hot spoiler[Fudo/Mikage gattai].

spoiler[Mikage humming Sousei no Aquarion] wins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4