• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Serial Experiments Lain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Lain is most definitely not forgotten. Of ABe's series, NieA_7 is really the only one you might claim to be obscure.

I feel bad I missed the guy at Comitia... we were probably 100 feet from each other.
ohtori_akio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
Any chance of Fancy Lala featuring at some point? I am still disappointed that later volumes of the title were never reviewed here Sad
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:13 am Reply with quote
Haha, oh wow and I thought it was surprising when Magic User's Club was considered obscure enough...

I remember back when TechTV marathoned every episode of Lain and I stayed up all night to watch the whole thing.

Boy do I miss TechTV. They sure fell hard to become the steaming turd that is G4. There's only so many episodes of Ninja Warrior one person can take in a day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
I never finished watching Lain when it first came out on VHS in North America. But around 2003 or so I bought a signed copy of the boxed-set and finally finished watching it.

Quote:
portable electronics were still restricted to CD players and analog cell phones
Actually, 1998 was the year the first portable MP3 players came out. I bought the second portable MP3 player, the Diamond Rio, in September 1998 Smile (pre-ordered it online!) I still have it and the upgraded 32-meg smart-media I bought for it.

Interesting that 1998 is also the year that ANN was founded, along with Anime News Service and Anime on DVD.

-t
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Kiriska wrote:
Whoa, seriously? Lain has been buried? Doesn't that just make me feel old...

You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

Really, Serial Experiments Lain is far from buried. It is a classic, and woe betide anyone who has forgotten about it already.
mulrich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to point out that the OP isn't Engrish, it is actually English. The group behind "Duvet" (the OP) is called bôa and hails from the United Kingdom.

Wikipedia wrote:
Bôa are a British alternative/indie band formed in London in 1993 by drummer Ed Herten. They are most widely known for the song "Duvet", which was used as the theme song for the anime series Serial Experiments Lain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bôa

Unless, of course, Justin Sevakis is only referring to those opening lines. They are indeed Engrish.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
Lain is all BUT forgotten. And Duvet is one fine song to play on the guitar when surrounded by fellow anime fans.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Surely, after hearing the tales of Korean World of Warcraft otaku dying in their PC cafés because they've forgotten to eat and sleep for days, this scene seems downright normal.

Seriously, that's just pushing forward the inevitable. Anyone who's spent that much time in a Korean PC bang (PC Room) is bound to develop lung cancer and die anyway. I've never seen smokier and more poorly ventilated buildings anywhere. My eyes water just from stepping inside. But these gamers don't die from forgetting to eat. It's mainly that their diet consists of cup ramen and coca-cola. Aside from providing zero nutritional value, it also dehydrates them, which, combined with a lack of sleep, kills them.

But back on subject. It's nice to see Lain covered. I watched half of it before I even knew what anime was, and then I never got around to watching the last half. It's just nice for Justin to cover something that I have a prayer of getting my hands on.
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Really, Serial Experiments Lain is far from buried. It is a classic, and woe betide anyone who has forgotten about it already.

Agreed. I don't believe that Lain is completely forgotten in the anime community, especially among the older (read: the 30+ crowd) anime fans. But I am glad that the show is getting more recognition so that the younger/newer anime fans can get a chance to view it and experience its uniqueness for themselves.

Granted, I didn't liked Lain when I originally watched it on TechTV's Anime Unleashed programming block a few years ago. But after a second viewing I developed a change of heart about the show and was very intreged by the plot and the overall concept of the show. Lain also got me interested in the character designes of Yoshitoshi aBe, which I believe were brilliantly displayed by the superior Texhnolyze (a show I feel is more of a Buried Treasure than Lain). Fortunately I was able to buy the Lain DVDs during the TRSI Geneon Abundance sale back in 2006 so this now makes the second series Justin spotlighted in his column that I already own. (Magic User's Club was the first.)

maaya wrote:
Actually I consider Princess Tutu much more of a "buried treasure" than Lain. Lain is a lot more popular even today.

In a sense I do agree with you, but I think Tutu still has some popularity today, especially among the English dub fans. It's still very popular within the AoD community - that's actually how I got interested in watching the series.

Last edited by bci110 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Lain? Buried Treasure? Ten years? Windows 98? Dial up?

Dear goodness I feel old. I saw this post 2000 in college at anime club. Wasn't in a great state going in and totally tripped the hell out in the back of the room watching it. I was like scratching my arms in anxiety at some points. One of the closest experiences to taking drugs via watching film I've had.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, finally, a Buried Treasure I've actually seen! Razz

I'm a bit surprised that Lain made this list though; it's not really that old, and I was under the impression that it was fairly popular amongst the hardcore anime crowd.

I greatly enjoyed this series, even if it was a mindscrew. I didn't see it until last year, but it was kinda scary seeing how accurate its view of the future internet was.

One thing I'm surprised Justin didn't mention is how this series was one of the inspirations for The Matrix. It's so glaringly obvious, what with the alternate digital world, the creepy "agents" in sunglasses, the metaphysical dialogue, etc. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started watching it.

At any rate, now I need to find a cheap boxset of this show. Smile
se37

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 am Reply with quote
Maybe I'm one of the few to say this but I have never seen Lain. I've seen the DVD and old VHS when I first started getting into Anime years ago and I've heard alot about it but never went out of my way and seeing it. Oh well, I guess I can go to Suncoast or FYE to pick up a copy and see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How is Lain buried, or are you just not finding anything really obscure lately? Sure it might be a little old, but it's still extremely well known among fans.

Ditto. I'm 19 and I loved lain. I watched it when I was in my early teens (same with Boogiepop Phantom, Macross, and Patlabor lol) and those are definitely classics, but not buried. It's still available to the younger generation of anime fans, they just need to look for it instead of relying on AdultSwim for all of their anime -__-
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
Lain will always be a Gem.

I first saw it earlier this year after seeing the box sets sitting on shelves at several Suncoast like stores and other hole-in-the-wall outlets.(they sold them before I could get it though)

I purchased it on a whim without really ever hearing about it, except for ABe's art work. (I got it during a Right Stuf sale along with my box set of Gankutsuou).

I can see how this would be a Buried Treasure now... getting hard to find and the new generation of fans (for the most part) have never heard of it.

Thank you for the article Justin.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
portable electronics were still restricted to CD players and analog cell phones

Don't forget that the US (albeit for several good reasons) was practically a 3rd-world country in those days when it came to mobile telecommunications. A lot of the rest of the world had moved to digital years before, and Japan's i-mode digital system was just abuot to launch.

But Lain buried? Only the sense that it's now out of print.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11