• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How would you feel about an ice hockey anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potatodood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan of ice hockey, I'm surprised that to my knowledge, one hasn't been made yet. It's in the top four of major North American sports, which admittedly doesn't mean anything.

But Japan has Eyeshield 21 based on American football, which has around 70 episodes meaning it is relatively successful. Same goes for Hajime no Ippo. Prince of Tennis got a new season and though I'm not sure where these sports rank in Japan (Football, boxing, tennis), they've all been pretty successful.

Really all sports have been done except hockey. Slam Dunk, One Outs, Major all have varying degrees of success. I don't know any soccer titles but I know they're out there.

Even board games like Go and Shogi and mahjong have had animes about it. Though I'm guessing they're really popular.

Hockey would be perfect: hard hitting, fast paced and the possibility of having special skills like Prince of Tennis. Plus it could also introduce new fans to hockey. Really, not a lot of people give it a chance, and I was one of them, but it's surprisingly good.
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
But what would a hockey anime be without the fights?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
He shoots ... he scores! Yeah, wouldn't hold your breath for an ice hockey anime. I get the impression hockey isn't big in Japan. They did do one about figure skating, though... *too lazy to look up title*
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes there are shows about Go, Shogi, Mah-Jong and now even Karuta... but you see a link here, right? They're Japanese games, everyone plays them. There is a Hockey league in Japan, but it's gotta be niche. Their national team is rated something like 29th.... There just isn't much chance of an anime popping up out of the blue. The Soccer shows are popping up recently because of relatively successful and popular national teams, especially the women's.

There was a hockey manga at one point apparently...
My Heavenly Hockey Club
even published in the US. So you've got that.

Figure skating.... maybe even snowboarding have better chances if you're into winter sports.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
My Heavenly Hockey Club
even published in the US. So you've got that.

That was field hockey, wasn't it?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
potatodood wrote:
I don't know any soccer titles but I know they're out there.

Japanese soccer fandom is as passionate as baseball's, but the players are not as glorious.

potatodood wrote:
Even board games like Go and Shogi and mahjong have had animes about it. Though I'm guessing they're really popular.

To be honest, the popularity of ice hockey is no match to those's. I've read numerous manga on niched sports and non-sport games, but IIRC I haven't read any about ice hockey. You may cross your finger and wish this manga gets animated, though.
Now that's some reeeally niched sport.

Spastic Minnow wrote:

Eh, that hockey club spoiler[hardly plays any game.] That's what makes it hilarious. Wink And like DavidShallcross said, it's field hockey i.e. on the grass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather see this manga animated, considering it's from Kumeta who was an assistant of Adachi. I'd be interested to see how his writing was before he got into dark satire/comedy as well.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
...well, I did say apparently Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'd much rather see this manga animated, considering it's from Kumeta who was an assistant of Adachi. I'd be interested to see how his writing was before he got into dark satire/comedy as well.

Daisuke Higuchi's Go Ahead would be much better.

Kumeta's? Unless you are not interested in the sports but funny dialogue instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
You may cross your finger and wish this manga gets animated, though.
Now that's some reeeally niched sport.

I love hockey, but I would pay so much money to have a curling animu. Especially since I'm actually playing it now. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I love hockey but I'm not sure I really want to see an anime about it. Not unless it's actually about the game which sports shows rarely are.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
He shoots ... he scores! Yeah, wouldn't hold your breath for an ice hockey anime. I get the impression hockey isn't big in Japan. They did do one about figure skating, though... *too lazy to look up title*

Ginban Kaleidoscope, perhaps?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
That's the one. I only saw the first three eppies or so, but the show has a special place in my heart because it is one of the very few anime shows that has a Canadian character. He's a dead stunt pilot who comes back as a ghost to haunt a Japanese figure skater, but it still counts, dammit!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Wow. Thanks for bringing that show to my attention. I think it might just have the single most random premise of any anime ever. Laughing
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
I'm quite sure Ms. Bamboo Dong could give a thorough elaboration on the prospect of an ice hockey anime. Laughing

Personally, I wouldn't mind it (if it had a riveting, intriguing, or touching story and good writing, of course).

Edit: I see that Japan actually has a higher number of players of the sport than many Scandinavian and North European countries.

I guess it's quite possible. You should pitch the idea. I can see it now...

Potatodood: Hello, is this Japan?

Anime dude from Japan: Yes, yes, otaku-san.

Potatodood: Yeah, I have an idea for a sports anime, I think it's quite novel and innovative: Ice Hockey!

Anime dude from Japan: Ohhhhh, yes yes, otaku-san. We'll start production today. So, what are the themes? It's plot?

Potatodood: Well, I was thinking along the lines of an exciting drama like Hajime no Ippo or a touching romance like One Pound Gos...

Anime dude from Japan: No No No, otaku-san. We need to turn a profit. We must be consistent with what American fans desire. We have a new generation of super patriots we must persuade to acknowledge our inferior work, thanks to the genius of DC Comics. Fierce competition.

I only jest.

Slightly

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2