• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaupload Site Shut Down Partly Due to Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
How does a Hong Kong based company/website get shut down by the FBI and indicted by a grand jury in Virginia?

At first this bothered me as well. I found the answer in the FBI press release.

According to the press release, MU had servers in the USA. That means they "had US Activity." Having servers in a country makes you liable to that country's laws, and its taxes.

Essentially, MU, as a corporate entity, was present in the USA when it was allegedly breaking US laws.

Based on this, the FBI and DOJ would have been able to ask foreign law enforcement to arrest the directors and executives of the company.

-t
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's finally come to this...
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
As someone who uses MU a lot for drama fansubs, this is really unfortunate. While yeah, there are loads of other sites to use and yeah, there's always torrents, links tend to die out fast and old series-- "old" being pretty much anything over 1 year old Laughing and/or not perennial favorites-- often lack seeders.

While obviously the (ultimately minor) disruption of drama fandom (or really any content besides stuff with US copyright) wasn't the intent of MU's takedown, it is a rather an unfortunate side effect. I'm finding it deflating to have to work around it.

Last edited by poonk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This was only a matter of time Megaupload, I'd say that is fairly correct.

Up next, bit torrent.

Yyyyyyyeah, not happening.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
Zac wrote:
1945113 wrote:
This is bullcrap, megaupload is my 3rd favorite site to download from, if they dare go after 4share I will rage...but omg IF THEY DARE TOUCH MEDIAFIRE- I WILL GIVE THEM THE FREAKIN' PUNISHMENT OF THEIR LIFETIME X_X!.

Quick, someone alert the Department of Justice.

I am right on it!! *dialing phone*

XDDDDDD
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Up next, bit torrent.

So I looked up non sequitur in the dictionary, and it had your post next to it.

A fallacy that may not follow suite perhaps, however, this is far from being a improbability. If Megaupload can be brought down that easily (irregardless of how easy of a trail Mega left for the FBI to follow), then other sites may now face the same fate in addition.

Time will tell ultimately, rightfully so.

mewpudding101: I should point out though, I made that post half jokingly.

Last edited by Teriyaki Terrier on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
It raises some questions for me.

1) Does the American Department of Justice and FBI now have access to the email addresses of people who downloaded files from Megaupload?

2) Is Photobucket at risk? People distribute copyrighted material via that site.

3) Could posting screenshots of copyrighted material here on the ANN forums put this site and its users at risk?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
How does a Hong Kong based company/website get shut down by the FBI and indicted by a grand jury in Virginia?

At first this bothered me as well. I found the answer in the FBI press release.

According to the press release, MU had servers in the USA. That means they "had US Activity." Having servers in a country makes you liable to that country's laws, and its taxes.

I bet this is (another) fabrication done to appease the masses, as times goes by they will try to remove this case from the mass media. Never trust your goverment!
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well that made that entire incident anime relevant. Interesting way to put this.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

1) Does the American Department of Justice and FBI now have access to the email addresses of people who downloaded files from Megaupload?

Even if they did, it wouldn't matter. Downloading copyrighted material without authorization isn't a civil nor criminal offense. Distributing is, which is why those everyday people who were sued got their citations for uploading, not downloading the material. If you want to be 100% protected when using P2P, don't upload anything.

EDIT: Okay fine, technically just downloading is making an unauthorized copy, and it's at least a civil offense. However, no content industry has ever sued someone over just downloading, probably because it would be harder for them to win a case like that. And no one has been arrested just for downloading either. Technicalities aside, my point stands that, in practice at least, just downloading files without distributing them or uploading them won't get you in trouble.

Quote:

2) Is Photobucket at risk? People distribute copyrighted material via that site.

Probably not. The vast majority of attention goes to films, television, and music, not pictures.

Quote:

3) Could posting screenshots of copyrighted material here on the ANN forums put this site and its users at risk?

Extremely unlikely. Please don't panic.

Last edited by Brent Allison on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
will this mean mega video will be shut down as well... god one can hope only one can hope..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I was fully expecting to people yell and scream at Funimation for this after the article mentioned Fruits basket. Rolling Eyes
Banden

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
errinundra wrote:

Extremely unlikely. Please don't panic.

"Your government is working to resolve this crisis in a timely and peaceful manner. They will keep you informed of developments as they unfold. In the meantime, goodnight, God bless you all. And God bless the United States of America."
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
And we needed to pass SOPA? When our current laws work just fine in this situation?

Also, seems the feds seized a pretty extensive expensive toys list. And the founder was keen on claiming he's ‘Evil,’ ‘Guilty,’ and ‘God’ on his license plates.

And Anonymous is retaliating.
Aara123

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

No, notice the users of Megaupload aren't getting in trouble, at least not yet. The main problem is that Megaupload was making millions of dollars for distributing illegal content, allegedly. Not the mere fact that they were hosting illegal content.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
will this mean mega video will be shut down as well... god one can hope only one can hope..

Yes, every single Mega... site will be shut down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9