• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaupload Site Shut Down Partly Due to Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I REALLY hope this shut down is only temporary! MegaUpload is the only way I can find Japanese Digimon episodes!! Sad

02 AND Tamers is already found on the video section of this site... Another example of not trying :/ For me though, my bone to pick is that I don't JUST want to watch it, I want to OWN it. And Toei will probably never allow uncut/subbed boxsets...
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
The whole SOPA act is pointless if they can just do it already. Now its a reality of taking down the sites and harming innocents caught in them. Pirates move on to another similar site, just delaying them. Wish there was a way to just take out the copy right infrindging files and leave legitimate ones alone when it comes to taking down sites like that.

AFAIK SOPA isn't focused on shutting down websites abroad. SOPA is meant to restrict domestic access to foreign websites outside U.S. jurisdiction found to be primarily dedicated to copyright infringement. It originally set out to accomplish this by preventing domestic internet users from accessing such websites via their URL (but not necessarily their IP address), by preventing payment networks from performing transactions with such websites, and by barring search engines from displaying links to such websites. My understanding is that the URL inaccessibility provisions were removed from the bill several days ago.

MegaUpload seems to have fallen within US jurisdiction because they had a physical presence in the US (it sounds as though they had servers here). I think SOPA was written primarily to address websites like Sweden's "The Pirate's Bay", which is already subject to SOPA-like legislation in a number of European countries and abroad.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
FireChick wrote:
I REALLY hope this shut down is only temporary! MegaUpload is the only way I can find Japanese Digimon episodes!! :(

02 AND Tamers is already found on the video section of this site... Another example of not trying :/ For me though, my bone to pick is that I don't JUST want to watch it, I want to OWN it. And Toei will probably never allow uncut/subbed boxsets...

If this is any consolation, at least Toei produced results with that license and I think there may be dvd's of that series as well. Maybe not, hard to say with Toei.

Five-six years ago, I heard that Toei had licensed Dragon Quest: Dai's Big Adventure. Now this could have easily been a rumor, but at that time, I did Toei's US site and I saw the title there. Naturally thought the series was about to be licensed or at the very least, provide some detail on that series.

After all that time, even after the manga concluded (which I was lucky enough to actually have a chance to actually read (just like the anime, the manga was never licensed and I don't think it ever will be.), but still no news at all.

I remember reading and seeing screen shot images of the only Dragon Quest (back then, before Enix merged with Square Soft, the US name for Dragon Quest was Dragon Warrior) but I never once had the chance to watch the actual Dragon Warrior anime on TV when the series aired then.

I am not even sure if the Dragon Warrior ( I think it was part of the Captain N show) ever even made it to VHS and I sincerely doubt the series ever made it to DVD format.

I've played every Dragon Quest (yes, even every Dragon Warrior game) and while it's taken a very long to do so (some of the Dragon Quest games never were licensed in US up until some odd years ago), but the only anime of Dragon Quest I've ever had the chance to see was Dragon Quest Dai Big Adventure.

At least with Digimon, the anime portion of that series has been mostly licensed in released in DVD format. The same can't be said about any Dragon Quest anime (I think there is only two Dragon Quest anime series, at least that I know of).
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
And we needed to pass SOPA? When our current laws work just fine in this situation?

Also, seems the feds seized a pretty extensive expensive toys list. And the founder was keen on [url=http://jalopnik.com/5877749/megaupload-founder-claims-he's-mafia-guilty-and-god-on-his-license-plates] claiming he's ‘Evil,’ ‘Guilty,’ and ‘God’ on his license plates.[/url]

And Anonymous is retaliating.

I'm astounded at how many people ignored this. There's no violation of rights here, they knew illegal activities were going on. Naturally this is common sense, but the fact that they encouraged it makes this an open and shut case. This isn't Napster we're dealing with here, it's just some scummy venture capitalists. Who knows what other what other illegal businesses they are involved in? You don't get 6 million in luxury cars from a file sharing site.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
The whole SOPA act is pointless if they can just do it already. Now its a reality of taking down the sites and harming innocents caught in them. Pirates move on to another similar site, just delaying them. Wish there was a way to just take out the copy right infrindging files and leave legitimate ones alone when it comes to taking down sites like that.

You just asked for a law that already exists. Requesting to take down the infringing files is part of the Digital Milliemim Copyright Act. Companies have the right to do that to files they have found. I was skimming the indictment last night and it quoting emails from megaupload executives to ignore take down requests that didn't come from sources that were major U.S. companies. They also limited the number of requests companies can file with them. I'm sure that grounds to say they are not meeting the requirements to be a DMCA safe harbor. They also used the words "Racketeering Violation” so i think this goes a bit beyond just the content being on their servers at this point. I skimmed about 48 pages some seedy shit was going on with these guys. Before this I didn't know they had incentives for getting thousands of people to download the file the user uploaded.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Thank goodness MegaUpload is shut down, maybe now more people will be buying anime, instead of illegally downloading it for free.

Really.....

Even if there was no other way of getting anime, they still wouldn't buy it. People that love anime will buy it, those that don't won't. It shouldn't be that hard to understand. Sure, a minority of those might change their ways, but not enough to make any difference.

There is also another type who is a huge fan but doesn't buy blind anymore because I am sick of getting burned. I download tons of Anime, and the stuff that's great or better gets purchased. In my case illegal downloading actually makes them thousands of pounds from me. Though I appreciate this may not be the norm, not everyone either buys everything or buys nothing.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
... I was skimming the indictment last night and it quoting emails from megaupload executives to ignore take down requests that didn't come from sources that were major U.S. companies. They also limited the number of requests companies can file with them. I'm sure that grounds to say they are not meeting the requirements to be a DMCA safe harbor.

Well, IANDL (I Aint No Damn Lawyer), but that seems blatant. To be a safe harbor you have to respect all legitimate takedown requests. Filtering by companies that you think are more likely to be able to take you down and companies you think are less likely to be able to take you down is just scummy d-baggery and the greedy SOB's deserve to be taken down.

Quote:
They also used the words "Racketeering Violation” so i think this goes a bit beyond just the content being on their servers at this point. ...

Again, IANDL, but that all seems to be founded on the original copyright infringement as being the illegal activity, and the conspiring to engage in it and the laundering of the money generated as a result of it all hinge on the original activity being illegal.

aeris2001x2 wrote:
... Though I appreciate this may not be the norm, not everyone either buys everything or buys nothing.

Yes, while a majority of bootleg viewers buy nothing, anywhere from 5% to 20% depending on the market and media will buy some of the bootlegs they consume. "All or nothing" stereotypes rarely apply to real world market (and non-market) behavior.

I don't bother with the nuisance of torrent downloads and the generally low quality and limited device support of leech streaming sites, but I also don't normally buy a show unless its already a favorite of mine, either viewed on Netflix rental or via streaming sites. The only exceptions are heavily discounted clearances at times when I am relatively flush.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, this.

The Japanese boxsets are even OOP as well, so there is no way to even buy it legally if one wanted to.

Say goodbye to well made Digimon AMVs as well that aren't crappy quality using the TV versions of Fox Kids.

Stream sites do nothing for me.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
And we needed to pass SOPA? When our current laws work just fine in this situation?

Also, seems the feds seized a pretty extensive expensive toys list. And the founder was keen on [url=http://jalopnik.com/5877749/megaupload-founder-claims-he's-mafia-guilty-and-god-on-his-license-plates] claiming he's ‘Evil,’ ‘Guilty,’ and ‘God’ on his license plates.[/url]

And Anonymous is retaliating.

I'm astounded at how many people ignored this. There's no violation of rights here, they knew illegal activities were going on. Naturally this is common sense, but the fact that they encouraged it makes this an open and shut case. This isn't Napster we're dealing with here, it's just some scummy venture capitalists. Who knows what other what other illegal businesses they are involved in? You don't get 6 million in luxury cars from a file sharing site.

Except.. that's exactly what they did. Megaupload is a file sharing site, nothing more. Was it largely used for illegal file sharing? Maybe. Probably. But any file sharing site will be used for that purpose, it's impossible to stop, so that fact by itself is not a good argument against Megaupload.

And so what if the executives had stupid license plates and liked to spend money? That's not illegal, nor is it proof of wrongdoing. "The guy in charge is an ass" is hardly a good legal argument.

And did megaupload employees know it was used for tons of illegal stuff? Of course they did! Anyone would know that. Just like everyone who works at youtube surely knows that it's full of illegal stuff. (Full anime episodes are a bit rarer now then they used to be, but just try doing a search for any anime/movie/tv-show ost there. You'll find thousands of copyrighted songs. And that's just one of the many ways youtube is still infested with illegal content). Sites like megaupload will always be used for illegal content, it's impossible to stop, and anyone with a basic understanding of the internet and human nature (which would hopefully include most of megaupload's employees) would realize.

Now, the feds are arguing that megaupload was more than just aware of the fact that their site was used for illegal content, that they actively encouraged it and tried to make it hard for rights holders to remove such content. But... just because megaupload has been accused of that does not mean it is actually true. The US government has shown in the past that it has no problem making BS accusations against completely legitimate sites, and don't even get me started on the things various copyright holders have tried to pull.

I'm not saying that megaupload is for sure innocent, or that this is definitely a case of overzealous copyright holders attacking a mostly innocent site. It might not be. But at this point, there's no way to know, and just reading the indictment is not going to for sure reveal the answer, because their is no guarantee that the indictment is actually based on reality.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Thank goodness MegaUpload is shut down, maybe now more people will be buying anime, instead of illegally downloading it for free.

Megaupload is the only way you get your anime, so please, stop. You can just Google "Baby Naruto Megaupload" and there's so much stuff that you've uploaded and also have asked to be uploaded.

I never said I did not use MegaUpload. I guess it's my fault for not adding sarcasm tags.

(besides plenty of other ways, like MediaFire, Torrents, and IRC)
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Checking other forums etc, I see the whining beging "WUUUUUT WHERE DO I GET MY MP3S AND ANIME NOW?!" -_-.... It's like, once one site goes down (MangaFox for example) suddenly it's the end of the world, and no other website exists... I don't know why I even bother reading some of their comments...
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I was talking about the FIRST season.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I had 7 gigabytes of original story material on there. Ranging from Concept Art, to chapters, to original music lyrics (complete with the music) to actual storyboards.

Mind you, all of this was uploaded prior to my laptop dying.
Alas, I didn't think it would go down so I don't have any backups (As this was 2 plus years ago)

Welp. There goes four years of hard work down the drain.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Checking other forums etc, I see the whining beging "WUUUUUT WHERE DO I GET MY MP3S AND ANIME NOW?!" -_-.... It's like, once one site goes down (MangaFox for example) suddenly it's the end of the world, and no other website exists... I don't know why I even bother reading some of their comments...

You'll keep reading the comments so that you can continue to put words the their mouths and ignore the valid issue that the content, legal or not, on that site is no longer available.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
I had 7 gigabytes of original story material on there. Ranging from Concept Art, to chapters, to original music lyrics (complete with the music) to actual storyboards.

Mind you, all of this was uploaded prior to my laptop dying.
Alas, I didn't think it would go down so I don't have any backups (As this was 2 plus years ago)

Welp. There goes four years of hard work down the drain.

While losing work is extremely annoying, you have nothing to blame but your own irresponsibility for that. If you value something, you back it up, preferably in more than one place. 7 gigabytes is a trivial amount to back up, either by external HD, burning to DVDs, or online backup. If you chose not to back things up, you really have no right to complain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9