• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Siliconera: Final Fantasy XIII-2 to Have Mass Effect 3 Costume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
When I just read this, I was like "Whoa, really???" Is Square Enix trying to help Mass Effect 3 get a good sales? ME3 is coming out in Japan March 15. Yes ME3 is coming out the same month in Japan as the US and Europe unlike how the first one came out in Japan 2 years after the US release. Also this is the same Square Enix that help gave Call of Duty popularity in Japan. I wonder what SE (and EA) will gain for this?

What's next: Star Ocean 5 developed by Tri-Ace and Bioware??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arisato-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Fund it.

This news is awesome. Square Enix already has my money.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I hope Bioware doesn't go anywhere near a Star Ocean game honestly. They should probably focus on fixing their MMO first.

Also, this is probably more for western gamers since Mass Effect isn't really popular in Japan.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Also, this is probably more for western gamers since Mass Effect isn't really popular in Japan.

Well...both ME games debuted at #3 on release, according to Media Create

Last edited by Shenl742 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Funny, you can say it's mutually beneficial but unless ME3 or AC does a FF tie-in then this is more like SE looking for ways to raise interest in FF XIII-2.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

uh, the first game debuted at #3 in Japanwhen it first came out. Mass Effect 2 bombed in Japan on 360, not even the PS3 versioneven came this far to being best seller. When I heard that Mass Effect 2 was ported to PS3, I was so happy because I wanted to play it badly and not only that, I thought Mass Effect could reach to a bigger audience in Japan because western game that sell well in Japan are on the PS3. Despite hopes and additional contents (the 3 DLCs included on the PS3 version) and tweak (using the ME3 game engine for the PS3 version) they did for the PS3 version, it didn't help the game sell in Japan, I wonder why?? maybe if ME2 had a dub (Takehito Koyasu for Male Commander Sheperd, and Megumi Hayashibara for Femshep, anyone?), would that have made a different. It is not known if ME3 will have a dub for the Japanese release.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Guess I confused the charts. Whoops
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
If you can replace the losers in your party with Wrex or Garrus, I'm there.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
My first reaction was what?? why?!?!??? lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I wish people would stop using that 'debuting good on release' thing. Slow release week, nothing new came out that week, there's plenty of ways to explain why it may debut that high. What's important is life-time sales, which was only 28,969 copies there. Final Fantasy XIII-2 so far has sold almost a million in Japan alone.

Which means this is either

-Bioware wanting to raise awareness for ME3 in Japan
-Square raising awareness for FFXIII-2 in America.

As for why it didn't do good there, well.. it's a WRPG for one, which tend to get a lot of hate in Japan. But it's not even as good as other WRPGs; even Biowares other stuff like KOTOR is better, because ME is more of a 'shooter with WRPG elements' rather than a straight WRPG. It's really dumbed down in comparison.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I wish people would stop using that 'debuting good on release' thing. Slow release week, nothing new came out that week, there's plenty of ways to explain why it may debut that high. What's important is life-time sales, which was only 28,969 copies there. Final Fantasy XIII-2 so far has sold almost a million in Japan alone.

As for why it didn't do good there, well.. it's a WRPG for one, which tend to get a lot of hate in Japan. But it's not even as good as other WRPGs; even Biowares other stuff like KOTOR is better, because ME is more of a 'shooter with WRPG elements' rather than a straight WRPG. It's really dumbed down in comparison.

took the words right out of my mouth Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Square Enix released Final Fantasy XIII-2 in Japan in December and in North America and Europe this month.

They mean the last month, right? Since it was released in NA on the 31st of January.

Quote:
During its first week of release in Japan, Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 524,000 copies with the PlayStation 3 version topping the charts. The Xbox 360 version only reached 48th, largely due to the low number of Xbox 360 customers in Japan. Initial sales have been notably lower than what they were for the game's predecessor which sold 1.5 million units in its first week. By the end of the year, the game had sold 697,146 units, becoming the fifth bestselling 2011 game in Japan.

XIII was released on 12-17-09 and XIII-2 on 12-15-11 in Japan.
NA releases were on 03-09-10 and 01-31-12.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I love KOTOR, and Mass Effect 2 was dumbed down compared to 1, but I'll say this right now, it was a lot more involved than the FF 13 "Walk here and click the A button" gameplay was.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I find the whole 'involved' thing very superficial and arbitrary in a lot of games like that. I mean, it doesn't matter which choices you make, it tends to be the same result anyway, or one line of different. If you saved that one queen you just get one line of a dialog in the next game acknowledging you did; that's it. Nothing major changes, mainly since the technology is limited in what it can do and the game has to continue no matter what you do, and the story always suffers because of it because it has to remain vague and disconnected to accommodate for people who didn't pick that option.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Eh, I find the whole 'involved' thing very superficial and arbitrary in a lot of games like that. I mean, it doesn't matter which choices you make, it tends to be the same result anyway, or one line of different. If you saved that one queen you just get one line of a dialog in the next game acknowledging you did; that's it. Nothing major changes, mainly since the technology is limited in what it can do and the game has to continue no matter what you do, and the story always suffers because of it because it has to remain vague and disconnected to accommodate for people who didn't pick that option.

Really? I found myself much more invested in Mass Effect's story than the story of FF 13. I think half of that was the characters, but half was the control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2