• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - SOPA Cabana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pue-eternity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
like borrowing DVDs from friends

That also qualifies as piracy, just so ya know.
You didn't pay for your view of it, making the company lose *possible* money. I say *possibly* because fervent anti-piracy people say so much $ and jobs are lost by piracy but really, they make those figures up. They can't track that stuff.

So, legally, pretty much everybody is a pirate. Yarr, we be sharin' yer material an' talking about it. I'll hijack yer ship with yer profits!!

I think it's better if they stream everything and make a hard copy available for people to buy. Like TV. Why do you think Transformers made such a profit in toys? Lots and lots of kids watched that show on TV, it was readily available. It's not profitable if it's not popular.Anime catgrin
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
@Kyubei: I sympathize on the Sony front, but the company is simply so gargantuan it might be undeserved to paint all of their products and services with the same brush. In reality, Sony's divisions sometimes vye with each other for success; their portable music and music label divisions are a good example of such conflicting interests.

There are anime DVDs and Blu-rays that have been, in a word, disgraceful, and yet companies like FUNimation have demonstrated that they can respond to criticism and get with the program. That can't happen if they're just written off. Getting the nice HD presentation Blu-ray offers is also not possible without some concession. If the nonsense that comes with it is still a price too high, that's your prerogative, but it is likewise naive to think you can completely escape all nonsense - Sony is far from the only game in town!

The problem with Sony is that "Other OS" wasn't the first time. I've been burned by the PocketStation, PSBBN, Other OS, and Disc Read Errors. I wasn't hit by the rootkit fiasco because there weren't any titles I wanted on the list. It isn't just removing a rarely used feature, it is the forced removal of a feature, and the years of the abuse and lies. It is sad because at 11 PlayStations (4 PS1, 4 PS2 2 PSP and 1 PS3) Sony has gotten a lot of money from me.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I liked that the majority of the focus of the responses was on things that the anime industry can do and not on legislation.

Thank goodness for that, I can only hope that excerpts are similar to others emails as well.

There were some real legitimate points raised. Unfortunately, I think much of those points (like removing DRM or non-skippable piracy warnings) will not be desirable for the industry. The idea of getting involved in the "black" market of the internet is good, but they can't do it under the current system. They potentially forfeit their "rights" in doing so, and so it can't work.

In any case, as one of the evil pirates (who also buys anime), I think this was mostly good. It shows the propaganda is mostly not working.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 pm Reply with quote
pue-eternity wrote:
Quote:
like borrowing DVDs from friends

That also qualifies as piracy, just so ya know. ...

No, of course, it doesn't. Its not viewerright, its copyright. As long as that copy of the DVD was made under a legitimate license, then it can be lent, rented, resold, etc. ... almost anything except displayed in public.

However, an upload is a fresh copy: you do not, for example, upload an actual DVD, you upload a copy of the contents of the DVD. So the person who does the upload has to have permission from the work's creator, or else it violates the copyright of the creator, And if the site makes more copies to download them to customers, those are more copies, and they all have to have permission of the work's creator.

That's also why its widely argued (I don't know if its been tested in court, and IANDL, but it has been widely argued) that the viewer of the stream is not a pirate, because they are not distributing a new copy, they are consuming the copy made by the streaming site.

Ironically, torrents are likely to cause less market spoilage than bootleg leech streaming, but its the torrents where the downloader is in more direct legal jeopardy, if they seed the torrent in turn, because seeding the stream is uploading bits and pieces of the downloaded file to someone else.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
@pue-eternity:

May I ask where you confirmed borrowing is illegal (in the United States, I'm assuming)? To screen content with friends or to lend them legally purchased copies consitutes private use, which in turn has been granted upon the purchase of a legal copy. This is why things like anime clubs can exist; it would only be illegal if one were to make a public exhibition or to charge money for the screening.

Further, even if I woke up tomorrow and I was somehow legally a "pirate", that would not change the ethics of lending and it wouldn't put those actions on the level of someone who contributed nothing.

@Tokimemofan:

I don't think the tragedy of PlayStation 3 should negate all the fun you've had up to this point or onward. Up until now Sony had a great thing going with its consoles (Bushido Blade, Resident Evil, Tekken 2 and Metal Gear Solid will always have a place in my heart!). Sony's Blu-rays are also the reason I have a lot of stuff I want in HD. If the executive Sony chimps hit enough red buttons to change that then I'll have no interest in poor products, but I wonder if that would be the same as boycotting...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Dwel and Agila, Pue was joking.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'd read it as sarcasm about MPAA/RIAA attitudes ... but sarcasm is rarely clear in text, especially without emoticons.

No joke that they tried to make lending a VHS tape into piracy, but that was knocked down by the courts, back in the 70's I think.
pue-eternity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Yarr. Anime catgrin No, matey, we be dead serious when it comes to obeyin' the laws.Wink

Quote:
No joke that they tried to make lending a VHS tape into piracy, but that was knocked down by the courts, back in the 70's I think.

That's probably what I should have looked up... Embarassed
I thought of it in terms of movie tickets, can't share it, can't lend it to a friend.

Quote:
Further, even if I woke up tomorrow and I was somehow legally a "pirate", that would not change the ethics of lending and it wouldn't put those actions on the level of someone who contributed nothing.

Copyright infringement of this kind really seems harmless to me, most people download/watch stuff they don't consider buying in the first place. Unless you recommended it to someone or bought it yourself, you didn't really contribute anything either. Sad
I've also read that some cases of piracy make a product (a band, I know this at least) so popular that it made money for the people who legally owned it. Like I said before, popularity is a big selling point, in this case piracy is better than ads! Anime catgrin Anime catgrin Anime catgrin
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For the first: release content world-wide at the same time, and kill region codes. Make the entire library available, even if it's in Japanese. Create a manga version of Crunchyroll.
Just one problem, you have to make the people pay Japanese prices (As the Japanese will not lower their prices, especially since it's because of those high prices they can make even or do better. Our cheap releases do not make anywhere near as much money.). Remember Kurokami: The Animation's simultaneous release? That was a disaster, they had to make the BD's dubbed-only to prevent reverse-importation.

As for the prices, how many people here do you think would be willing to pay Japanese prices for singles? Bandai Visual USA failed by doing that as they released everything like that. They weren't being like Aniplex USA who is being more wise with imports (I mean KnK sold out, Fate/Zero will sell out, the Baccano! import sold out-back in stock at TSRI with 67 copies for now-and more.).

That's the blockade to worldwide releases, you can't expect your normal R1 fan to pay $90 for a Madoka Magica BD single with 2 episodes. The import crowd will, more passionate fans possibly will, but not your average fan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:29 am Reply with quote
In any event, region coding (and other assorted DRM) is a joke to the otaku or really anyone who could be bothered to google their way to a solution. Be that as it may, I think the humour is lost on this last generation of important suits with people in them. Perhaps they're left scratching their heads, or haughtily retorting "that's not funny!" before retreating to the executive washroom. Either way, it's going to be a tough crowd until orderlies cart them away to nursing golf courses and new blood rejuvinates this limp organ...
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
pue-eternity wrote:
Copyright infringement of this kind really seems harmless to me, most people download/watch stuff they don't consider buying in the first place. Unless you recommended it to someone or bought it yourself, you didn't really contribute anything either. Sad

But at the same time, there will be people downloading stuff to watch who would have bought or rented that show if a bootleg download was not available. The MPAA/RIAA are obviously full of nonsense when they take estimated downloads and multiple by the MSRP to get "lost sales" ~ if maybe 2% would have bought otherwise, and 10%-20% would have rented, that is would be more like like 3% of downloads time MSRP in lost sales.

But internet anarchists who say that there is no market spoiling at all are also exaggerating, Of course some of those bootleg downloads represent lost income to the producers.

But SOPA and PIPA were grossly badly written bills, and were wide open to abuse by big movie studios and record labels, who have already demonstrated their willingness to abuse the current system. And that abuse includes abuse of New Media producers: the MPAA directed a denial-of-service attack against Revision3 for seeding a torrent of their own material.

So SOPA/PIPA spills outside of the long-established, entrenched arguments between supporters and opponents of anime piracy because it lacks due process protections and would allow big political contributors to wave a big stick at new start-up companies.

Quote:
I've also read that some cases of piracy make a product (a band, I know this at least) so popular that it made money for the people who legally owned it. Like I said before, popularity is a big selling point, in this case piracy is better than ads! Anime catgrin Anime catgrin Anime catgrin

For musical groups, who can make money from selling tickets to live performances, this can obviously be true: they can far more easily convert that popularity into money. Its a bit harder for a manga-ka, for example, to make money from live performance: if their work is consumed for free, the only way to earn money from "popularity" is merchandising, and merchandise income concentrates heavily on a few of the very most popular manga, so while it can make a few manga-ka rich, it will not provide a living wage for a large number of manga-ka in a thriving manga industry.

And manga is closest to musical groups in terms of the cost of production of each work. An anime costs $m's to produce a series, so if it was only about to get a penny on average from each consumer, it would need 100m's of people in "popularity" to pay for production costs. A niche medium like anime is not going to be able to maintain that kind of popularity for a large number of series each season.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
pue-eternity wrote:

Copyright infringement of this kind really seems harmless to me, most people download/watch stuff they don't consider buying in the first place.

The "wouldn't have purchased it anyway" argument flew a lot better when the choices were only pirate or purchase.

Now we have people who pirate because not only because they don't want to pay a few dollars a month, but also because they don't want to view ads, want it ASAP, don't like the official subs, and/or think they are entitled to more than 360p/480p for free.

Let face it, pirates will always have an excuse handy to "justify" their actions.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
My letter wasn't picked, but for what its worth, here it is:

Quote:
My suggestion for how to deal with piracy is to make the bodacious move of
taking a page out of history, and the genre: Letters of Marque.

The vast majority of people who create fan-scanilations of manga and fansubs of
anime do it because of love. They have found something that speaks to them so
much that they want to help other people experience it too. Why not encourage
this?

In a sense, one person is already doing this. Ken Akamatsu's J-Comi site has
started posting "Purified" manga scans and is soliciting more.
(animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-13/j-comi-posts-1st-user-submitted-purified-manga-scans)
The idea is to collect illegal scans of manga that are out of print and post
them on an ad supported site, providing revenue for the mangaka and a place
where people can legally read these manga. They are also working on translating
these titles. Why not take it a step further? Provide an online destination
where fans who translate manga can upload their non licensed work and fans can
read those scanilations in an ad supported environment, providing funds to the
mangaka and their publishers while increasing the readership of their titles.
Push it even a bit more and offer faster access to licensed works on a premium
basis, provided that the scans will be taken down once the volume is available
for purchase from the US publisher. These "pirates" are doing this work free of
charge to the license holders. In almost all cases, they make nothing for their
efforts and the groups survive on the basis of donations and volunteer effort.
It seems silly for the publishing industry to not take advantage of this gift of
talent and effort by making them "privateers" instead of "pirates".

With official support from the Japanese and American publishers, works that
have great potential for sales here in the US could be brought to the public
for an astonishingly low level of investment by the rights holders. American
publishers could even use the ad supported, fan translated sites to gauge which
titles would be best suited for official, high resolution and/or paper
publication. The knowledge that a title is well liked in the target market could
only improve the profit margin for a publisher!

This model could be applied to my own pet-peeve of Japanese media where US fans
are extremely under-served: Light Novels! There are so many anime, especially
recently, that are adaptations from the light novel medium, yet the source
material for most of those well loved shows will never become available to the
fans who enjoyed them. Using this model, Japanese publishers could increase
their readership and American Publishers could test the market for this medium
with little to no risk.

For anime, the efficacy of this model is a bit less clear. Many of the same
arguments that I made for manga and light novels still apply, but the source
material in this case is usually recorded broadcast video, which gives it even
less legitimacy. In addition, the industry is already doing such a good job of
providing legal options for viewing shows, at least in the US, that it is much
less necessary. In most cases it seems that a show that is not available for
legal streaming is the result of the Japanese rights holder having some outdated
business model that doesn't recognize the fact that shows that are available on
legitimate streaming services tend to sell more DVDs and BluRays than those that
are not. These companies are the least likely to agree to this kind of
fan-driven distribution network, so it is almost pointless to even suggest it.
The best course for the anime industry to combat piracy is just what they have
been doing: decreasing the need by providing more content to more countries with
faster turn around from broadcast to stream. A big part of this would be to
offer more of the streams with worldwide licenses so the region locks cease to
be an excuse for the lazy rippers to steal their products.
pue-eternity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
The "wouldn't have purchased it anyway" argument flew a lot better when the choices were only pirate or purchase.

Well, that's really the case with a lot of people today. We don't have that kind of money, and something as disposable as entertainment is not worth buying compared to food or clothes. In fact, as an art student, most of my peers download because Photoshop is so damn expensive. Companies expect too much payment, think about it, would you even consider buying an internet browser nowadays?

Quote:
The vast majority of people who create fan-scanilations of manga and fansubs of anime do it because of love. They have found something that speaks to them so much that they want to help other people experience it too. Why not encourage
this?

I feel that I can also equate the pirating of something as less of stealing as more as sharing. I don't see much difference between people sharing/borrowing DVD's and people filesharing with their friends. It's the digital era, people can easily, cheaply, and less wastefully(!) make copies of things. Who knows, maybe that's the whole intention of most pirates, maybe they even bought the copy themselves beforehand... Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
pue-eternity wrote:
I feel that I can also equate the pirating of something as less of stealing as more as sharing. I don't see much difference between people sharing/borrowing DVD's and people filesharing with their friends. ...

The difference is that with legal sharing, the legit copy is only being used by one person at a time, because there is no copying involved.

That's why copyright is a right that we give to creators of original works to give or deny permission to make a copy ~ because lending does not allow hundreds or thousands or millions of copies to be used at one time, on the basis of only one royalty payment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3