• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mission Critical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
If you like gratuitous nudity involving large breasts, I think you'd take both shows.

Nah, I'm a fan of Queen's Blade, and I could barely stand a couple minutes of Manyuu. Manyuu felt like Qwaser (another show I didn't like) turned up to 11.

On top of all the usual reasons one might like one show over another (character design, character personalities, voices, direction, etc.) there's a significant difference in feel between a show that features breasts and a show that's about breasts.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Before I jump into what I need to say I figured I'd have to give a little background info:

As most of you can probably discern from my posts at the left; I am very, very new to these forums as well as the ANN.com scene.

I wanted to get more into the japanese culture as well as manga and anime as I've been collecting and watching it for a long, long time. So as most people would do; I decided to see what was on the internet, which lead me to this awesome site; and also since I love podcasts I realized that there was one for anime which BLEW MY MIND Very Happy I thought to myself "seriously?!?!?!?!!? a podcast that talks about anime, series, trends, licenses, etc??!?? THIS WILL BE GREAT!"

Now as anyone in my position would do, I didn't just start out at the latest podcast; as that would be a great disservice to the podcasters themselves as somewhere in previous podcasts they may answer questions I have, puns I may laugh at, etc. So as the devoted anime geek/nerd that I am, I downloaded the latest 43ish that I could get from "Beyondpod" (Android rss/podcast downloader & player) and OF COURSE listened to all of them.

This is where I take a break from telling my background to throw something out to anyone who may want to reply to this; and mainly I throw this out to Zac, since this is something I have seen him take sides on a lot of the time without going into great detail.

Here it is: Why are you so appalled/horrified or just plain hate fan service anime?

Now before he or anyone else answers that, I already know that some people get turned off by anime portraying girls with skimpy outfits, big boobs, and in some cases "slutty attitudes". I can totally understand that some people just can't stand this; but I don't think that this alone should be the judging factor which leads people to saying that a show is garbage. One case & point that Theron brings up is "ToloveRu" as yes it does have all of these things, but the story was somewhat different, not the BEST writing; but extreeeemely halarious. I also believe that if "ToloveRu" didn't have an interesting story or those halarious jokes, I wouldn't have watched it either.

As we are on the subject anyway; I wanted to talk about "harem" animes, which are being taken a bit to the extreme these days I know, but to count some of these stories out just because they are categorized as "harem" doesn't do the show justice. One such example that I can come up with is "Love Hina". This can be about 75ish% related to "Highschool DxD". Now before people start flipping out on me; please let me explain. 1) First off they are both considered "Harems" as both revolve around 1 guy and many different girls who either are in love with the main charater or come to love him through the series. 2) They both have similar situations where the main character ends up having to life with the girls in an open area/dorm type setting. 3) Both of the main characters are somewhat pervy (although I'll admit DxD takes it to an extreme) & they also have around 2-3 friends that are extremely pervy and jealous of his position. 4) Both have a main character which immediately is in love with one of the girls; and keeps that love throughout the show. 5) Both face an uphill battle whether it be physical or mental, in order to stay at their newly found home.

As you look at these, you should also remember that Love Hina had an extremely good and vibrant story behind it; and even though its not perverse to the extreme like DxD is (and YES it is extreme!) it was a pretty perverse for the times when it came out. from what I've been able to see from DxD; although it is built for some of the more extreme fan service... well... fans, I believe that behind it, the interesting story, as well as those same haralious jokes found in "ToLoveRu" keep me moving through this anime. So don't just look at it as a fan service anime and not try it out; as you'll miss some very interesting stories and some very funny dialog.

Another thing that I came across while listening to the podcast relates to what we just talked about; if not just a little. In one of their previous podcasts I heard Zac talking about how bad DxD was, since it was; and I'm paraphrasing here: basically boobs and a fan service anime. Now this didn't surpise me, but when they started talking about penguin drum; and how great it was is when I got extremely confused. Now I may just be wrong but isn't that anime about... well... basically softcore incest? Both of these brothers love their sister which gets taken over by a penguin alien. (I LOVE this story and plot by the way, it was very interesting) But this is also considered a fan service anime, because of both the facts that both brothers are in love with their sister, and the fact that just about every episode they show the same scene where as she walks down some freakly steps in a dream world, every step she talks a piece of her clothing comes off; to the point where she is naked, standing in front of her brothers and kissing one of them.

Now Zac might just like the story for this which is totally fine, but it just bothered me that he side stepped this part of the anime, even though he seemed to go into various parts of DxD.

Again, I might be wrong in all this, but I just wanted to speak my mind, and voice my opinion. I'm still loving all the podcasts and will continue to listen to them. Keep up the good work Zac & others!

P.S.
Zac / guests of the podcast, for a beginner like me listening to your podcasts I reaaaaaally wish that you could give a like 2-10 seconf synopsis of anime's that you are talking about / comparing to each other as new people like me may not know the anime series by their names, but by their content Very Happy

THANKS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac might have something to say about this, but I have something to say: just like your stuff, dude.

If people think your gratuitous nudity anime is junk, don't try to justify it by trying to make a weak comparison to other anime that are most likely not in the same ballpark as the anime you're into.

Stuff like High School DxD gets the criticism it does because it's junk food. By all means, have your fun with it, but you will find it near impossible to argue the merits of fanservice shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
If people think your gratuitous nudity anime is junk, don't try to justify it by trying to make a weak comparison to other anime that are most likely not in the same ballpark as the anime you're into.

Stuff like High School DxD gets the criticism it does because it's junk food. By all means, have your fun with it, but you will find it near impossible to argue the merits of fanservice shows.

My preferred analogy is this: All anime is comfort food, but not all comfort food is equal. Some, like macaroni and cheese, and simple, base pleasures, but can be made all the better with good ingredients and a well-written recipe. Others are more like hot pockets.

People who like ecchi shows should probably just ignore reviews of them. They don't need them and the reviews aren't for them. People like me do need reviews, because I loathe anything that looks like an ecchi show and ignore those by default, a rule that has almost always served me well, but if one is well reviewed, my attention is taken and interest piqued. I had written off Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei, but after several people praised it an Rebecca Silverman gave it high marks, I ended up ordering it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Zac might have something to say about this, but I have something to say: just like your stuff, dude.

I accept your view, but just like I was explaining up above, you see nudity in anime, and you say it's gratuitous without looking into anything deeper than that. The comparison I made is anything but weak, if you go back and watch Love hina again, you'll realize it's like I said above; less pervy without the nudity because, lets face it back then the public couldn't handle nudity at in any form, whether it be in public broadcastings of anime, or even on the DVD's/VHS's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
I've watched a vast amount of pervy, fan service heavy, harem palooza anime. Some of those anime I will defend as having something worthy to them, but anime that is about exposed body parts typically doesn't have a lot to say.

If it did, then they wouldn't need the boobs and the panties! Ok, sometimes you can get ecchi, but every episode? They're selling perversion, not compelling characters and plots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8