• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mission Critical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Tesla must've known. That's the real reason for their rivalry; alternating current versus direct current was just cover.

rti9 wrote:
Zac mentioned that Lagrange and Bodacious Space Pirates have the same director, but that isn't exactly right. Lately on the encyclopedia section of the forum there has been a discussion on what should be the level of importance and what is the true meaning of the role series director.

I kept thinking that Tatsuo Sato might only be doing supervisory work on one of the series since it seemed odd for a director to work on two series simultaneously and for the two series to provoke such divergent reactions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
here is my ranked list for the season
Shows I have not seen yet but have plans to: Shana 3 (waiting on dub of season 2), brave 10, ano Natsu, Bleach, conan, or naruto
Hunter x Hunter
Chihyafuru
space pirates
Knight in the area (may go down hill very quickly)
Familar of Zero F
InuxBoku (TIED with Zero, knight, and papa 2)
Papa episode 2
Laggare declaration of your heart
Kill me baby (only episode 1)
Recorder and ranshel (dropping lower with every episode)
Future Diary (waiting for dub)
round cat
phi brain(dropped)
another (based on episode 1) (waiting for dub)
Papa episode 1
guilty crown (based on episodes 1-2, and 1-12) (dropped)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess i can support saying this is the weakest season in a couple years, not because the shows are uniformly bad, but because the most inventive show of the season is a sequel, Nisemonogatari, and the highest rated new show isn't praised for being anything new or even a new spin on an old tale but merely because it is a very competently executed show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Natsume Yuujinchou Shi is actually better than the third series, at least thus far. I'm really pleased with how it is doing. The franchise may be aimed at the Fujoshi market but there is no shame in enjoying it; there is serious heartwarming appeal to be found here.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I guess i can support saying this is the weakest season in a couple years, not because the shows are uniformly bad, but because the most inventive show of the season is a sequel, Nisemonogatari, and the highest rated new show isn't praised for being anything new or even a new spin on an old tale but merely because it is a very competently executed show.

Let's just look at the winter anime from 2010 and 2011. Those were pretty weak too. PMMM was original but for the first few weeks people thought of it as just Shinbo being Shinbo and kept on bringing up Nanoha. What was the show from winter 09 people were in love with instantly? Durarara! or Katanagatari. Either way winter 09 wasn't without a fair share of weak links. I think winter 2012 is more uniform than previous winter seasons.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Let's just look at the winter anime from 2010 and 2011. Those were pretty weak too. PMMM was original but for the first few weeks people thought of it as just Shinbo being Shinbo and kept on bringing up Nanoha. What was the show from winter 09 people were in love with instantly? Durarara! or Katanagatari. Either way winter 09 wasn't without a fair share of weak links. I think winter 2012 is more uniform than previous winter seasons.

Actually, I've thought the past couple winters took a couple chances, whether they met expectations is up to your opinion but I feel there were a handful of interesting shows among the safe ones.
'10 had
Hanumaru Kindergarten one of my favorite shows of that year, a great Gainax treatment and what I felt was a great repudiation of loli bait.
Durararara as mentioned, something different and intriguing that mixes genre in a way you don't see.
SoRaNoWoTo Distopian military moe?
and if you're into that sort of thng it even featured some interestingly perverted shows that shame High School DxD and Papakiki- with Qwasar, Vampire Bund, and even Chu-Bra - good? maybe not, but they pushed boundaries and that at least is something.

'11 had
Fractale- forget how it ended, the beginning looked great and held much promise. If you discount PMMM for not being immediately distinctive (which I don't agree with) than you should alternately appreciate a lush looking fantasy.
Wandering Son- Talk about taking chances on a story you aven't seen before and probably won't again
Level E- what many considered one of the best first episodes of the year.
and yes, PMMMadoka- The first episode bloodied up the mascot and provided the fist glimpse at the paper cut-outs and cotton ball animation the sort of which I'd only seen in underground animation before. Shinbo being Shinbo? You mean doing something people haven't seen before? than yes, he was only being himself.

I'm not saying they didn't have their weak spots, but 3 or four show that immediately look intriguing compared to this year? The closest that attempt to do anything even slightly adventurous are a dour horror show the likes of which you don't see much of any more and idol girls singing at the monsters.

AND I'm NOT saying hi year is crap, there are fine shows, I'm even fine with Lagrange, I'm saying it's comparatively weak.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
if you're into that sort of thng it even featured some interestingly perverted shows that shame High School DxD and Papakiki- with Qwasar,

PapaKiki isn't trying to be anywhere near perverse as Qwsasar, I don't think shows that qualify as ecchi all aspire to be the edgiery than the last. DxD the advantage of director's cuts that don't take weeks to be released since Qwasar's biggest problem was the poor censorship/editing that had to be done to make it broadcast worthy.

Anyway my point isn't about how the seasons turned out but the general feel we got in the first few weeks. Except for Area no Kishi I want to see more of every anime from this season. Admittedly there were fewer highs with the new anime but the selection is still strong with fewer immediate lows than other winter seasons. If all you want is a story that is different then I can see your problem with this season but I am not going to discount shows that never had the intention to push the envelope.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't consider it an especially weak Winter, either. I'm watching 14 of the new shows and enjoying them all to varying degrees. I suspect Black Rock Shooter will be a keeper for me when it starts up, too. Thank God most anime tends to appeal to me. I hate to be one of those types who struggles to find a series a season that somehow manages to appeal to his/her oh-so-refined taste.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
if you're into that sort of thng it even featured some interestingly perverted shows that shame High School DxD and Papakiki- with Qwasar,

PapaKiki isn't trying to be anywhere near perverse as Qwsasar, I don't think shows that qualify as ecchi all aspire to be the edgiery than the last.

Papakiki was in the list to be compared with Chu-Bra.

Quote:
Anyway my point isn't about how the seasons turned out but the general feel we got in the first few weeks.

Who are you speaking to? Because it can't be me, who made numerous references to the shows being judged on first impressions. Okay I guess remarks about DRRR and Wandering Son could be seen as season long comments, but it was also evident from their first episodes that these were odd and intriguing treatments.
Quote:
Admittedly there were fewer highs with the new anime

EXACTLY

I, for one, am not talking about lows, I am talking exclusively about highs. Not just shows that I can watch but shows that impress me in some way. I've already thought to myself that by the end of the season that there's a possibility that not a single show that I finish will end up with a rating higher than "good." Comparatively weak but not bad. I hope to never be one of those idiots that say "This is all crap! I can't watch any of it!" but I can be an arsehole who says- "meh- nothing too special here"
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I, for one, am not talking about lows, I am talking exclusively about highs. Not just shows that I can watch but shows that impress me in some way.

And I am saying a few highs don't make a season and that fewer noticeably bad shows right off the bat made the opening weeks of this season overall stronger than previous winters. The way I judge the strength of a season is the number of shows I commit to watching, not how great any one show is.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Well... Good then. We both have our opinions and neither of us is wrong. It's an odd "argument."

In my opinion:
A season with more highs (but maybe more lows)
is better than
A season with no real highs (but less lows)

As I see it you're more

A season with less lows (but with less stand-outs)
is better than
A season with more lows (even if it has a couple stand-outs)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Since no fan is obligated to watch crappy Anime, I would rather have a season with lots of crappy shows but lots of good shows too over a season with lots of middling shows but nothing really standout (in a good way or a bad way).

See, in five years' time few people will remember all of the crappy shows, instead they'll look back fondly at a season with lots of good shows. Long-term it's lots of pleasure, little pain. That's why I'd rather have that sort of season than the other one, where everything is a straight "meh".
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Well... Good then. We both have our opinions and neither of us is wrong. It's an odd "argument."

If you say so.

Quote:

Since no fan is obligated to watch crappy Anime, I would rather have a season with lots of crappy shows but lots of good shows too over a season with lots of middling shows but nothing really standout (in a good way or a bad way).

You'd rather have a season with lots of crappy shows over a season with lots of good ones. Now that's an odd argument. It gets even odder because you assume good=middling. At least on ANN "Good" is in the upper part of the quality curve and I would guess anime fans would welcome a season with mostly good series because it would give them more shows to watch rather than not watch.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

See, in five years' time few people will remember all of the crappy shows, instead they'll look back fondly at a season with lots of good shows. Long-term it's lots of pleasure, little pain. That's why I'd rather have that sort of season than the other one, where everything is a straight "meh".

I beg to differ on that 2005-8 where my all time favorite years/seasons for anime last decade. So many great shows came out of that small time frame that are still talked about now and are even still getting 3rd or 4th seasons. No one is obliged to watch a shitty anime by an means but it's a matter of opinion, taste and personal preference. I am a horror/mystery fan so any show that pops up on my radar is going to be given the benefit of the doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You'd rather have a season with lots of crappy shows over a season with lots of good ones. Now that's an odd argument. It gets even odder because you assume good=middling. At least on ANN "Good" is in the upper part of the quality curve and I would guess anime fans would welcome a season with mostly good series because it would give them more shows to watch rather than not watch.

What. The. F*ck???

I know that you know what I meant, so all I can say is keep trolling, it just makes you look even worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8