• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sekirei: Pure Engagement Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Why didn't Richard J. Thompson review this?

Nothing against Carl but Richard seemed to understand the show better

Quote:
an ending that satisfies

I disagree and I'm sure any fan of the manga does too. The ending was not satisfying because after episode 7 it was different from the manga (filler plot and made an important character's death underwhelming and rushed).

The anime screwed up pretty bad here.

I've never taken reviews all that seriously but this is one of those times where I feel like voicing my opinion (even if nobody else cares).

Sekirei is definitely one of the better fanservice/romance/harem shows so if the grades are based on "compared to other shows in the respective genre" the score should be much higher.

I'd say at least an "A" but I'd settle for a "B" since an "A" would probably feel too generous for most ANN reviewers (most who dislike ecchi based on the preview guides every season) even though this show definitely earned it.

*EDIT*

I've also never even heard of Mahoromatic or even My-HiME. Very Happy
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
hmm maybe i should check this out when i get the time/money. A little mind numbing oppai fun with some plot is what I need atm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:

Quote:
an ending that satisfies

I disagree and I'm sure any fan of the manga does too. The ending was not satisfying because after episode 7 it was different from the manga (filler plot and made an important character's death underwhelming and rushed).

The anime screwed up pretty bad here.

I've also never even heard of Mahoromatic or even My-HiME. Very Happy

You have to remember that a review of a product is based strictly on its own merits and direct comparison to the manga is generally not the goal. I had similar gripes against Claymore the anime series since it diverged significantly from the manga. The anime chose to fabricate the last 3 or so episodes to give the series some closure since the manga is still ongoing.

I get it though. It is galling to see the fate of a major character changed so significantly during the translation of one media to another. Out of curiosity I did look into it a bit (I don't read the manga) and it seems like they did cheap out. But given the constraints of time, and possibly not knowing which direction the story would go (Timing issues between manga and anime stories), I did not find the ending of Pure Engagement unreasonable. If anything it was frustrating to me where it ended.

I enjoyed Sekirei even without all the over-the-top fan service, although the fan service was certainly fun in this series. But even so I don't think Carl's opinion is that far off the mark. It was entertaining, but not what I would consider a title worthy of an A (a corresponding 9 or 10). And remember, if the manga is significantly better, that still shouldn't elevate the anime by association. The anime has to stand on its own feet. And this case, feet topped with physics defying breasts.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

And that's a real shame. Because Sekirei wants very much to be one of those series whose surprising depth belies its puerile surface, and if its puerile surface keeps shanking its surprising depth it'll never make it. Not that it would necessarily have worked anyway. Even if it didn't have ill-placed booby-bombs to sink important scenes, the series still does enough things wrong to lay waste to those that it does right

Like I have mentioned, people with an aversion to certain things should not be reviewing shows like this. You admit there's something more, but just can't get over teh-boobies, much less enjoy it as was it's intent. In fact, such mutually exclusive ideology prevents you from evaluating its intent of enjoying both the fan service and its story. There's nothing, no law at all that states one must choose one over the other or that somehow one must diminish the other.
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
Regardless of who should have reviewed the series, I think Carl's review is fair. Despite the heavy fanservice, Carl noticed the positive aspects of the show as well and gave them their due.

Since I did enjoy the show, I did feel the score was a tad harsh but from a reviewer's POV, I think Carl held back a little. On the other hand, Zac might have killed and dropped the show the very first season.
Volibear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
From a pure enjoyment perspective, not analysing it and just grading in my initial reaction when i watched it, i'd give this a B+

however breaking it down and taking a proper look at it it is easy to see why a C is all the review got, this series does have its flaws:

More harem members were added, taking up another half a series
Tsukuimi's dub is done well, but is inappropriate and would have been better off done without the "ye olde" additions
An anime only ending, whilst ok and appropriate, it was still an anime only ending and didn't really resolve anything at all plot-wise, it just filled the need for a final battle
Sometimes inappropriate fanservice dulls important moments (it didn't really for me but i can see why it would for a more casual fan of the series)

That being said, as a fan of the series i didn't find it hard to overlook these things and enjoy the series but i was still left with the feeling that Sekirei's biggest issue is time. The series has a proper plot to play out but only having 24 episodes total to do so meant it couldn't properly get into it because of the way the series develops (admittedly that is rather odd), only really starting to get properly into the main story after the 18th episode (6th of PE) by which point it's too late to start it and an alternate ending is required.

To properly spread its wings and show off thats it is more than just boobs the show really needed another 24 episodes (or at least 12) to get some serious plot down and show itself off, and i kinda thought a show with this much fanservice might have gotten it that way too but sadly ~PE~ seems more like a way to capitalize on the success of the first series rather than build on it

Good, accurate review of the series though i feel, even though i enjoyed it more than a C, the review takes a balanced assessment of the series and gives it a fair grade in the end, although you may enjoy it more than it should be given credit for (although that in itself deserves credit)
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen the show and probably never will, but I really enjoyed reading the review. Great writing!
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I haven't seen the show and probably never will, but I really enjoyed reading the review. Great writing!

Same here. I like to read reviews of series I'm not especially interested in because (a) sometimes I end up changing my mind, and (b) even if I don't, there's a chance of stumbling across fun moments like this one:
Quote:
Because Sekirei wants very much to be one of those series whose surprising depth belies its puerile surface, and if its puerile surface keeps shanking its surprising depth it'll never make it.

That made my morning.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Regardless of who should have reviewed the series, I think Carl's review is fair. Despite the heavy fanservice, Carl noticed the positive aspects of the show as well and gave them their due.

Since I did enjoy the show, I did feel the score was a tad harsh but from a reviewer's POV, I think Carl held back a little. On the other hand, Zac might have killed and dropped the show the very first season.
Straight F's all over the review is probably what would happen.Laughing I wonder if he'd like it more than High School DxD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Like I have mentioned, people with an aversion to certain things should not be reviewing shows like this. You admit there's something more, but just can't get over teh-boobies, much less enjoy it as was it's intent. In fact, such mutually exclusive ideology prevents you from evaluating its intent of enjoying both the fan service and its story. There's nothing, no law at all that states one must choose one over the other or that somehow one must diminish the other.

but there's a time and place for both fan service and seriousness in some cases. they can be inter mingled and still achieve the emotional weight desired from the serious topic. Carl never makes a blanket statement about all fan service having to be completely separate from the serious topics. just that in the case of sekirei, it fails to combine the 2 without detriment to 1.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is hard, for instance, to get the full impact of a deathbed request when there is a giant, barely-concealed nipple heaving in the foreground.
I wonder if watching the TV/streaming-censored version (as I did) would be an improvement for scenes like this. I'm reminded of a scene in last episode of the completely-unrelated 2003 anime Lime-iro Senkitan, where the DVD version has a character wearing a breast-baring S&M outfit that wrecks the emotional credibility (thin though it may be) of several minutes' worth of screen time. The more concealing outfit in the TV-censored version at least keeps things semi-respectable.

nechronius wrote:
I agree that the ending wasn't satisfying, and I've never even read the manga. Of course, it's pretty much expected these days that 13-episode ecchi/harem series won't have a conclusive ending, but Sekirei manages to magnify that dissatisfaction by doing the same thing in the sequel.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, as much as I dislike harem, fan-service heavy shows, I honestly liked watching Sekirei. And I liked My-Hime; Mahoromatic was okay.

The action is well done, the humor can be silly without too many naughty undertones, and I ended up liking three members of Minato's harem: Tsukimi, Kusano, and Homura. When the series starts to get more serious, I paid attention and even thought its attempts at adding depth were surprising.

That said, there are flaws but I honestly didn't care about the numerous boobs (after a while, you learn to ignore it).

Quote:
But in the long run, it's the romance that has the most corrosive effect. The simple fact is that the series is terrible at it. No one in Minato's harem has an iota of chemistry with him, and none of the other Ashikabi/Sekirei pairs can boast much more.

I sort of agree~ The 'harem' seemed more like a family or a friendship pact opposed to a group of ladies wanting to become Minato's wife. One instance, in Ep. 7 I think, Matsu is helping Minato studying habits, I saw them like two close friends. But that's just me. ^^;

Not a horrible show but I won't buy the series anytime soon.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Like I have mentioned, people with an aversion to certain things should not be reviewing shows like this. You admit there's something more, but just can't get over teh-boobies, much less enjoy it as was it's intent. In fact, such mutually exclusive ideology prevents you from evaluating its intent of enjoying both the fan service and its story.

In other words, you want a reviewer to review a show like a fan would: With no criticism for "certain things". This is silly. It`s not the reviewer`s job to conform to your tastes or ways of appreciating a show, it`s your job to follow the writings of reviewers which share your tastes.

Quote:
There's nothing, no law at all that states one must choose one over the other or that somehow one must diminish the other.

That`s irrelevant here. Fact is, some people dislike fanservice, and it`s the reviewer`s job to mention it if there`s some in a show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
hmm, is mai hime in the same category? lol
I put this along side like ah, my buddha! or maybe samurai girls?

a good harem show which is also a classic is love hina.
lets just pretend negima never happened.

I think sekirei suffered alot from market hype.
I remember seeing pictures of sekirei posters all over japan.
I think the producers were also under preassure to make decisions in the anime that they probably didn't want.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Carl never makes a blanket statement about all fan service having to be completely separate from the serious topics. just that in the case of sekirei, it fails to combine the 2 without detriment to 1.
Well that's certainly not a fact, but you are entitled to your opinion of course. However for the former issue, Carl automatically beats up on a show whenever it has fan service or sexuality intended to titillate (or if he thinks it does). The only type tolerated by him is the type that's played purely for laughs and/or he thinks is not lascivious.

Swissman wrote:
configspace wrote:
Like I have mentioned, people with an aversion to certain things should not be reviewing shows like this. You admit there's something more, but just can't get over teh-boobies, much less enjoy it as was it's intent. In fact, such mutually exclusive ideology prevents you from evaluating its intent of enjoying both the fan service and its story.

In other words, you want a reviewer to review a show like a fan would: With no criticism for "certain things". This is silly. It`s not the reviewer`s job to conform to your tastes or ways of appreciating a show, it`s your job to follow the writings of reviewers which share your tastes.

No. A review should be helpful to its target audience, for its criticism to be centered around its intent, NOT to be criticized for its intent--that's what you call a rant. In other words reviews should actually be useful. What you are advocating for is like having someone who doesn't listen to hip-hop review a song and conclude, the chorus has a nice melody, but there are repetitive beats and just talking and no singing therefore recommends against it.

Quote:

Quote:
There's nothing, no law at all that states one must choose one over the other or that somehow one must diminish the other.

That`s irrelevant here. Fact is, some people dislike fanservice, and it`s the reviewer`s job to mention it if there`s some in a show.

A reviewer's job is to provide a service. You don't need an actual review to know if it aligns with your taste or not. A brief synopsis with some descriptions and pics (i.e. show cliff notes) would provide all the information you need in that case. It is ironic because your argument here is irrelevant since if you're not going to watch it, just like my example above if you're not ever going to buy a hip-hop cd, then why bother? Some of the posters here who aren't freaking out over teh-boobies actually provide more useful info, including highlighting flaws (e.g. comparison to manga, story, etc) to potential viewers and fans than the review
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2