• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds The Venus Wars Science-Fiction Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Venus Wars another title I haven't watched in years. I have the CPM release but I saw some of it on Sci-Fi back in the day. Saying that makes me feel old. I might go watch it tomorrow before giants game. I am glad another hard to find out of print dvd is being re released. Smile
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You all realize that the "English dub" for this new Venus Wars DVD is probably going to be the previously existing one, right?

Of course they'll use the Manga UK dub for Venus Wars. It's far cheaper to use an existing audio track than to record a new one.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
It amuses me to note that one of the people who wrote the screenplay for Venus Wars was Yuichi Sasamoto, the author of the Miniskirt Space Pirates books that this season's surprise critical success Bodacious Space Pirates is adapted from.

penguintruth wrote:
Bamble wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You all realize that the "English dub" for this new Venus Wars DVD is probably going to be the previously existing one, right?

Of course; all the dubs on Discotek anime releases have been pre-existing productions. In Venus Wars' case, this is a bonus, since one of the voices is Peter Marinker.

I totally forgot that Marinker is in it!

He was a great Gotoh in the Patlabor movies.

I loved Peter Marinker's portrayal of Captain Gotoh's voice; it's one of my favorite English dub performances. I could do without most of the 'classic' Manga video cast, but I'd love to have Peter Marinker actively working on anime again (Blair Fairman too, while I'm at it)

Apollo-kun wrote:
With all this hullabaloo about getting back a lot of old CPM titles, it's about high time we see a special Blu-Ray edition of "Harmageddon" and "The Humanoid", am I right?

Anybody? Anybody? ;D

A new release of The Humanoid would be great for cross-promotion if they were trying to launch a coffee shop chain as a side business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh. My. GOD.

Venus Wars is in my top 5 Anime Films of all time list. I attribute it to MAKING ME A FAN OF ANIME.

Finally. FINALLY. Seeing it get a new release with ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN has got me seeing stars I'm so happy.

The only thing that could make this better. Is if it got a Blu-ray release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
I've never seen this movie, but it looks interesting! It would be awesome for Discotek to license more pre-2000 anime (*cough*1979Cyborg009*cough*).

Quote:
I wonder if it would be possible for them to release the original Mach Go Go Go (i.e., in it's original Japanese)? It's not like Lionsgate has exclusive rights to it or anything. I mean Speed Racer Enterprises (who has all non-Japanese int'l rights to the show) could license (either version of) the show to anybody they wanted.

Not happening. Aside from the Japanese opening as a special feature (IIRC) on a DVD, nothing Speed Racer related has been released in Japanese in America... or Japan for that matter. The show is all but forgotten over there, while it's been a classic in the US for decades. Heck, the Japanese dub of the live action movie used the English names. The series is also unavailable on DVD in Japan. But it would be interesting to hear the Japanese voices, etc!
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I do have quite a few ex-CPM titles in my collection, between both the rescued shows and the stuff that's still in limbo:

[List of excellent CPM titles everyone should see]

CPM could have avoided this if they just sold the company to, say, FUNimation.

I was going to say you're my new hero but then you said that last line. I'm not sure such a sale would have even been feasible. Assuming it was somewhat realistic I doubt Funimation would have wanted to buy CPM. They haven't licensed rescued anything from CPM since Slayers AFAIA. And we learned from some of the bankruptcy information released that Central Park Media owed 1.2 million to their creditors. Why would Funimation want to inherit this debt? Still I like your overall theme, and wish that through some miracle they could have stayed alive in one form or another. Be it absorbed into some other company as you suggestion, however unlike that is, or on their own, or being bought by some other party etc. They rebranded and re-tooled themselves so many times in the final years I was half-hoping I'd see them do it again. John O'Donnell did so much to keep them alive far beyond anyone would have imagined, I'm sure if some type of sale or partnership was possible he would have tried it.

At any rate I do wish CPM was still around. Anime just is not the same without John O'Donnell in the industry. And I miss seeing the types of shows they'd go for over here. CPM would pick up a lot of titles no one else would dream of, and most of it was either really really good, or so bad it was hilarious, both are fine with me!

A Wind Named Amnesia is my all time favorite anime movie. And yes that dub on The Heroic Legend of Arslan. THAT BRITISH CAST IS AMAZING. uh-hem...

Anyway glad this title got saved, like I already said. And I hope they rescue more golden oldies like Gall Force, A Wind Namned Amnesia, They Were Eleven, Black Jack, Cyber City Oedo (they don't make em like this NO MORE), Cat Soup, and especially Dominion: Tank Police . Dominon really needs a nice blu-ray, with an unscrewed up ending theme segment, that includes both the english dub and the japanese with subtitles, some excellent extra features, and perfect video quality. A man can dream can't he? A man can dream....

As far as the dub goes on Venus Wars I like it a lot. A few of the minor characters have voices that I wasn't a fan of, but the main cast is more then solid. I absolutely adore Denica Fairman as the reporter from New York City, Susan Somers Razz . She's so spunky in this role, very different from her role in Amnesia. And Peter Marinker is top notch here, preventing the character from turning into a caricature. The rest of the main cast too are great. While I wouldn't say this is Michael Bakewell’s (ADR Director) best work, I like it a lot. I just wish a few of those one liners and small roles had less silly voices Confused
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
I mostly like this movie, my only real issue with it is that soldier character who came off as a rather heterosexist portrayal of a gay man.

I'm not sure I'll buy this, I have the old DVD release, I'll give it another watch to decide whether it's worth double dipping.

What I'd really like to see is a Blu-ray of Night on the Galactic Railroad for Region B (unless I can manage to sort out multi-region playback for my player). I love A Wind Named Amnesia, but while it could certainly do with a rerelease, the animation's so bad that I can see it being written off by a lot of people before they see it.
Prede

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I mostly like this movie, my only real issue with it is that soldier character who came off as a rather heterosexist portrayal of a gay man.

Yeah that was a really odd, unnecessary and weird character. Like there was no reason to have a token gay guy show up 3/4 through the movie. Perhaps they wanted to make the point that EVERYONE (male and female) thought Hiro was attractive. But hey it was the 80's, wasn't someone gay in "Top Gun" or something? Maybe that's what they were going for *shrug* . It's such a small part of the film, it's easy to overlook.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Courtesy of WTK over on The Fandom Post:

Quote:
via Discotek Media Facebook page
Quote:
We have something else lined up as the first blu ray. But if the DVD does well enough we may do blu ray. The cost vs sales of blu rays just aren't there yet to make a lot of them worth it. And most people still buy dvds. But yeah this movie has some great animation so blu ray is a possibility.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Courtesy of WTK over on The Fandom Post:

Quote:
via Discotek Media Facebook page
Quote:
We have something else lined up as the first blu ray. But if the DVD does well enough we may do blu ray. The cost vs sales of blu rays just aren't there yet to make a lot of them worth it. And most people still buy dvds. But yeah this movie has some great animation so blu ray is a possibility.

I'm really curious if the 'Remaster' is going to involve a new trasnfer from an original source. Or if it'll be a digital remaster of an older master.

Regardless. I will pay fat money cash for The Venus Wars on Blu-ray.

I'm going to buy it on DVD as an investment in DiscoTek's future. I may also try a few additional releases as well (Galaxy Express 999 and Fist of the North Star in particular). But I'm really REALLY happy The Venus Wars on Blu-Ray is at least being tentatively considered for a possible blu release at some future date.

Now I'm wondering what Blu DiscoTek will actually be releasing.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Hopefully up next: E.Y.E.S. of Mars

It's good to know that I'm not the only person that remembers that movie. I remember watching it on SciFi when I was younger and it took me quite a while to find the name and then track down a used VHS on ebay. I would love to have it on DVD, if for nothing else but nostalgia.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
Good pick. At least now we'll be able to replace our copy finally. That's an old title. CPM days, and it was long discontinued before the company. I really pleased some of these older titles making a comeback. Way to go Discotek. Surprised
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I'm really curious if the 'Remaster' is going to involve a new trasnfer from an original source. Or if it'll be a digital remaster of an older master.

I'm going to buy it on DVD as an investment in DiscoTek's future. I may also try a few additional releases as well (Galaxy Express 999 and Fist of the North Star in particular). But I'm really REALLY happy The Venus Wars on Blu-Ray is at least being tentatively considered for a possible blu release at some future date.

I wonder if it's impossible for them to just use the HD remaster that the Japanese BluRay used for their DVD release. I don't see why they'd have to do any mastering work themselves when it's already been done.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

I wonder if it's impossible for them to just use the HD remaster that the Japanese BluRay used for their DVD release. I don't see why they'd have to do any mastering work themselves when it's already been done.

Waaaaaaait.....

There is a Japanese Blu-ray for Venus Wars?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Waaaaaaait.....

There is a Japanese Blu-ray for Venus Wars?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?!

I thought everyone in the thread was aware of this... I checked it out in 720p, and it looks fantastic, so a real BD must be quite something. Yeah it's not huge budgeted, so it something comparable to BGC's BD, where you still get all of the nice benefits of sharp lines, color correction, and TONS of dynamic grain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4