• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype Readers Unhappy with DVD change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquidBilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
I dunno... I'm a relatively new reader, but I like Newtype USA. I think it's a consistently better magazine than Insider (good information but...talk about low quality art and crappy paper) or *cough* Animerica.

Quote:
I mean come-on, how many articles on Kiddy Grade must I endure. There's a ton of new shows that get only a tiny blurb in the magazine, that I would like to know about. They are clearly more interested in serving their advertisers wishes than actually providing a service to the true anime fan.

Well, the articles they have run on Kiddy Grade seem to be lifted from the Japanese edition. (It's pretty easy to tell which are U.S.-produced and which are from the Japanese Newtype.) I don't get how this is pandering to advertisers -- do you know that this is the case, or are you just assuming? Granted I don't have a complete collection of Newtypes, but I have only noticed one or two FUNimation ads in the most recent of issues. And since Kiddy Grade is a *current* U.S. release, it seems fair to me that they're running something on it. Heck, at least it's not more Yu-Gi-Oh. Very Happy

Quote:
I don't know about anybody else, but it seems to me that Newtype USA has slowly been decreasing its page count since Issue 1. If they dropped the DVD, but kept the 200-page format that they had in the beginning, I would probably continue to buy.

I just picked up the September issue tonight and it's still 200 pages. The last couple issues that I have are 200. *shrug*

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like Newtype and I think the last few issues have gotten steadily better. While I'm sad to see the DVD go, the only affect on me is that now I won't be tempted to buy additional ADV shows that I wasn't planning on buying. (Looks at library: Kaleido Star, Kino's Journey, Azumanga, etc.) So in the end, no DVD is saving me money!

Last edited by SquidBilly on Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:30 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
As long as we're talking about polls, In a November 11, 2003 ANN poll, 67.8% said the anime mag they're most likely to read regularly was Newtype USA. Suddenly everyone here is bashing Newtype. What happned within one year besides the loss of the DVD insert in retail copies could have changed all those opinions?

A variety of reasons, as noted above by some. But the DVD pretty much sealed the fate of Newtype.

Which is sad, because It was a good magazine. I actually bought several anime from ADV because of those freebie disks. But now it's not in there, ADV might also see their Anime sales drop because there is no way to preview some series.

So far, they have two DVD's that I really don't wanna see in their "subscriber-option" (Super Milk Chan and Get Backers), but I seriously hope that Newtype returns their DVD's fast enough. I like ADV, but without those preview DVD's, my money is seriously gonna go elsewhere. Right now, i'm partaking in Geneon and Bandai stuff, so my money might go to them or other folks.

I like to sample first before I buy.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:33 am Reply with quote
SquidBilly wrote:

Well, the articles they have run on Kiddy Grade seem to be lifted from the Japanese edition. (It's pretty easy to tell which are U.S.-produced and which are from the Japanese Newtype.) I don't get how this is pandering to advertisers -- do you know that this is the case, or are you just assuming?

This doesn't make sense, seeing that Kiddy Grade is a Bandai Product, while Newtype is a ADV product (american Wise...dunno Japanese wise). It's not really favortism in any sense of the word.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:39 am Reply with quote
SquidBilly wrote:
I dunno... I'm a relatively new reader, but I like Newtype USA. I think it's a consistently better magazine than Insider (good information but...talk about low quality art and crappy paper) or *cough* Animerica.

That's rather idiotic, buying a magazine becuase you think the paper quality is better even though the other magazine has better information and is cheaper.
Isaaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:51 am Reply with quote
I checked that older poll out, and suddenly i remember why I like Newtype USA. If its gonna have advertiser push, I would rather thier articles and features would on properties that ADV, Bandai, or whoever are pushing. Thats better than them catering to whats "popular" like Yu Gi Oh, DBZ, and whatever, and throwing that stuff on the cover like Wizard Magazine does with Wolverine/Spider-man just to meet thier monthly quotas. I also think Newtype gives more info on new and overseas properties than any other magazine out there. However, the articles have been getting weaker in later issues. I love the full color pics too, and even though they the quality can be crap sometimes, it's still eye candy next to my free DVD. However, I dislike coverage of popular stuff that I can get info on other places (Lord of the Rings, Kill Bill, etc.), and I tire of Gundam Seed on many covers (it's good but its not really a huge hit here, so whats up with that). Anyhoo, if Newtype is still a great magazine and IF they lower the price with no DVD, then I will support that, and Animerica.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Which is sad, because It was a good magazine. I actually bought several anime from ADV because of those freebie disks. But now it's not in there, ADV might also see their Anime sales drop because there is no way to preview some series.

Not to sound like the "Unoffical ADV Spokesman" again.. but...

Perhaps ADV has decided to drop the DVD in order to lure people over to TAN. They've said they're planning to start airing new series on it before they are released on DVD.

Personally, I like Newtype-USA and would buy it without the DVD anyway. One of the reasons it costs more is that it's more expensive to print than other Anime magz (Type of paper, size of paper, lots of color, etc. [that's not what justifies the cost to me, but it is a fact]) I'm not gonna knock the other magz though, because I read them too.

As far at the latest news from Japan goes, it does say Newtype-USA on the cover right? Of course they would cover what's being released here and/or what is currently popular more than what's in Japan. They do devote a large portion of the mag to series playing in Japan, even if they don't write an in-depth review. The closer a series is to being released here, the more they cover it.

Oh and Isaaru: Do you know how many times SEED has been on the cover of Newtype? (Japan not USA)
SquidBilly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's rather idiotic, buying a magazine becuase you think the paper quality is better even though the other magazine has better information and is cheaper.

Huh? That's not what I said. I said that I prefer the content, depth and nice big spreads of original artwork in Newtype over Insider, which has good information but I dislike their kiddy slant and presentation, the fact that their paper is thin (like toilet paper) and their image quality is often washed-out or the same stock art I've seen a half-dozen times in ads.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:15 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

Not to sound like the "Unoffical ADV Spokesman" again.. but...

Perhaps ADV has decided to drop the DVD in order to lure people over to TAN. They've said they're planning to start airing new series on it before they are released on DVD.

Can't get TAN on my satellite provider. ADV needs to expand to even get my love for TAN. Otherwise, I'll only love Newtype with DVD's.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quote
SquidBilly wrote:
Quote:

Huh? That's not what I said. I said that I prefer the content, depth and nice big spreads of original artwork in Newtype over Insider, which has good information but I dislike their kiddy slant and presentation, the fact that their paper is thin (like toilet paper) and their image quality is often washed-out or the same stock art I've seen a half-dozen times in ads.

Kiddy slant? I'm afraid I don't see what you're talking about. I just picked up an issue off of my magazine stack, and it has a 4 page comparison of the Akira movie and the manga, including a picture of a character being shot in the head. Another issue talks about all the religous elements in Evangelion. The same issue has a full synopsis of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh which was "Too Violent For America" and after reading it, I believe it. Not to mention that the Evangelion article is accomapied by a very nice two page spread of artwork of three EVA suits and Shinji, Rei and Asuka. Yeah, the paper quality isn't the best, but are you starting a library or reading an anime magazine?
Newtype USA also tends to give good reviews to ADV products, whether they are any good or not. Plus Anime Insider has a few pages of manga to sample every month, with different ones each time, as compared to Newtype where you could go buy a volume of the manga and have every chapter they'd put in there for six months.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:13 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:

Plus Anime Insider has a few pages of manga to sample every month, with different ones each time, as compared to Newtype where you could go buy a volume of the manga and have every chapter they'd put in there for six months.

Oh boy, Zac is gonna sic Answercat Jr. onto me for this.....

Anime Insider's Manga preview....I have to say the last few were pretty blah. The current one is, how shall I say, really ******?

Simply put, the Manga Previews leave little to be desired. Most of them were bad. Not titles I won't buy in the future.
MugenKing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:29 am Reply with quote
I wasn't suggesting that there is a "Kiddy Grade slant" I was merely using the show as an example of how the magazine rehashes the same news over and over again. I agree when a new US product is released we should hear about it, but not every other month. An article every six months, or one if there is a noteworthy plot twist, is sufficient enough. This type of advertising as news or entertainment has been going on for ages. Take for example the neverending 30 minute toy commercial known as "Transformers". Its the American way and no one does it better than the japanese!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:53 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Anime Insider's Manga preview....I have to say the last few were pretty blah. The current one is, how shall I say, really ******?

Simply put, the Manga Previews leave little to be desired. Most of them were bad. Not titles I won't buy in the future.

Can I ask for a little clarification on this? We're always interested in what our readers think of the magazine. Were the titles themselves bad, or the pages alone were bad, or what? I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. If you didn't like the titles we had for the manga preview, then, I mean, that's why we have the manga preview; to help you determine whether or not you're going to buy that manga when it comes out.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Can I ask for a little clarification on this? We're always interested in what our readers think of the magazine. Were the titles themselves bad, or the pages alone were bad, or what? I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. If you didn't like the titles we had for the manga preview, then, I mean, that's why we have the manga preview; to help you determine whether or not you're going to buy that manga when it comes out.

I read AI every month, and I don't know what he's talking about. I've liked every preview so far (except I missed the last issue). Also, you said in a chat the next issue was coming out soon, can you tell me what date it's supposed to come out so I don't miss this one too?
Jkid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote
Unless they have a good reason for getting rid of the DVD's, since they have TAN. They could have better ideas. As a matter of fact, about those ideas for the DVD's why not send the ideas to Newtype-USA by e-mail?
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
Unless they have a good reason for getting rid of the DVD's, since they have TAN. They could have better ideas. As a matter of fact, about those ideas for the DVD's why not send the ideas to Newtype-USA by e-mail?
Normally companies don't take notice to and/or don't respond to e-mails. In order to get them to take notice you should send them "snail mail". Because then they have at least look at it. It is like the same thing as online petitions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4