• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: X-Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Go figure, I thought the music was the best part about the series. Overall I was disappointed with the plot.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
drdr48 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Panon wrote:
People interested in this at all should just go watch Wolverine and the X-Men instead, it's a vastly superior show.

Wolverine and the X-Men utterly sucked.

NO.

YES.

It was light years behind all of DC's comparable offerings, the action was laughably inept, the dialog was childish and not the least bit clever, Wolverine gets the job of leader for no other reason than he's popular, and it had no real ending.

I completely agree with this post.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly disappointed by this show. Storm and Emma were completely out of character, the plot was predictable (and in my opinion, this was partially because they used the "Jean dying as a plot point" cliche), and while some of the fights were good, none of them reached the epic level that I tend to expect from X-men.

I also have to say that despite what the author said, I wouldn't call the plot or story more mature or deep than previous versions of the show. While the animation may be better, and use a lot more shadows, and the action be more fluid, the story wasn't really any better than whats been seen before. If anything, as I said before, the story lacked any sort of epic-ness which i was expecting from a twelve episode series. In all honesty, this whole thing just felt like a mini-arc (3 episodes tops) from a much larger show that just got spread out over 12 episodes.

Final verdict: nice effort, but ultimately a big letdown.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Forgetting the content of the post for a moment--how many times is it possible to misspell Touhoku in a single article?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this one - it made me feel nostalgic for the old show, which means they definitely had something right. And I actually liked Cyclops here more than I usually do, though that may be helped by the fact that his character design was just gorgeous (most of the designs were great, with the exception of Emma's early appearances where her clothing made her look oddly frumpy, IMO).

I do agree that the characterization is a mixed bag though. But I don't think Storm is the worst, since she's just bland ... I actually could not stand Hisako. She just came across as the most generic of Japanese schoolgirls and then, despite being the least experienced member of the team, she ends up being vital when it comes to saving the day, seeing what the others (mainly Cyclops) don't.

I also saw it during the summer so it had the misfortune of being seen at the same time that I saw X-Men First Class, which is easily superior when it comes to storytelling, despite the shorter run time. And sure, the characters are different but the basic themes of the X-Men tend to be the same no matter what generation.

All and all, it's a decent show but not something I would really ever watch a second time. Except perhaps for the opening, that was awesome.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
Forgetting the content of the post for a moment--how many times is it possible to misspell Touhoku in a single article?

I was going to comment that "Tohoku" is equally acceptable but then I realized that the article has it written "Tohaku" so... yeah. Good point.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh hey, this is by the Afro Samurai guy. Hopefully the action sequences are neat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Konopan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Oh hey, this is by the Afro Samurai guy. Hopefully the action sequences are neat.

You could probably consider it the most gratifying "raw action" series of 2011. The designs don't hurt to look at, like, say, Wuberiin, either. The non-stuff-blows-up-and-Wolverine-cuts-things parts were kinda meh, but not insufferable.

Also, Deadpool cameo.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I barely watched any of these G4/Marvel anime(conflicting timeslots, general disinterest), but I noticed a constant among all of them that reeks of uncreativity. The way to do an anime version of a comic is to make up a contrived excuse to bring the heroes to Japan and fight Japanese villains? Even Witchblade's anime did it, though also with the excuse of it being in a flooded earth future and the very nature of the Witchblade allowing it to travel the world throughout time. Couldn't they have done it while setting it in the West where the comic originated? Afro Samurai was made as a dub first, made for English first, but they didn't find some random way to bring Afro to America.

Iron Man, Wolverine, Blade, the X-Men, all of their anime started with a random excuse to bring them to Japan. Granted the anime can easily overcome that and become good on their own. Just some way too common trend in Japanese adaptations of Western comics that was more noticeable in the rapid succession of 4 anime in a row on G4. Can't they do the anime and set them in the West? Gunslinger Girl was set in Italy with no Japanese characters to speak of and had no problems. I'm sure one could think of many examples of anime set outside Japan.

Sorry if I got too rant-y with that, got carried away in my observation of the trend all 4 Marvel Anime(plus Witchblade) had in their transition to anime form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Heroman took place in America.
Let that sink in.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Hrmm.. I liked the X-men anime adaptation, don't mind the personality perks of Storm and Emma and Hisako while a bit generic was an interesting character with a very interesting power.

I think the better half of the series is the lighter first half, the second half just seems too much like an angsty teenager emofest with Takeo being a whiny emo brat and Yui being utterly useless.

I was also annoyed that the two mutants that work with Yui never reveal their powers and get their butts kicked by Neuron so damn easily. I'm not familiar with the comics (only the animated cartoons and the 5 Hollywood movies), but man, some mutants sure are damn weak; even a human with a shot gun and poor aim could kill half of the mutants in the show.

12 episodes was just too little time to put a through plotline so I can understand why Magneto doesn't make much of an appearance in this show, but sadly this show just feels like more of a story arc than a full ride. Would have wanted this show to have had 52 episodes and this arc just another one of several arcs in the show (and dear lord, should have shortened the emo fest to only 6 episodes).

My favorite character in the show was definitely Beast, he's both a kickass and nerdy professor/doctor that wears a bowtie, cool.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
When virtually ever other continuity ever made for the franchise has a consistent portrayal of the character a certain way and this one doesn't, I call that "out of character." It would be like making a James Bond movie where Bond is a social incompetent.

I wouldn't shrug at that. Different continuities and different stories.. I thought that was what comics were all about. No fun if the remake it just the same.. like how they gave Princess and Sedusa actual backgrounds and personalities in Powerpuff Girls Z.

Then again, the only other Storms I know of are

-Halle Barry from the movies with her jokes
-The one from the old 90s cartoon which spoke like a cheesy LARPer/D&D Dungeon Master.

In which case... I'll probably take this one out of the three.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2