• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty Film Promo Streamed with U.S. Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
28076004505531 wrote:
I got carried away watching the one with UK dub. It was a lot better than the US dub. Hope when the dvd comes out the UK dub is included.

As Disney is issuing the US release, I doubt they will also include the UK (Optimum) dub.

Considering how beautiful the original theme song by Cecile Corbel was, I have to wonder why Disney thought it was necessary to include additional songs, other than as a marketing ploy. I'm still leaning heavily in favour of the UK dub version, but I'll still give the US version a fair chance.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Is there some specific reason they have to push these child actors into these roles?

Hahaha, probably the same reason J-talent agencies push their child actors and singers like ClariS for own roles - to make money for themselves, of course. Laughing
SymposiumForGeek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Sho sounds way too old the US dub. -_- At least they made him sound young in the UK dub and kept his Japanese name.

Don't worry, she sounds 14-ish throughout the film.

Hey guys, I actually saw the English, er, NA dub for Arrietty this past weekend at GKID's special pre-screening in NYC. The dub was fairly well done throughout. My only annoyance was the aunt/caretaker woman's voice, but both Arrietty and "Shawn" were very enjoyable.

Also, from what I remember, that song or some other song was used during the credits.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably one of the few who actually liked James van der Beek as Pazu. He did sound like a teenager, true, but I thought he brought a lot of zest and exuberance to the role which worked in favor of the character's personality. I wouldn't say he's my favorite voice of the Disney dub, but aside from the teenage issue, I had no major problems with him. In fact, I had trouble going back to the Japanese version after listening to the Disney dub for the first time, especially after the fantastic orchestral new score and Hamill's outstanding Muska.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
UK dub retained the Japanese name Sho, since the film was set in Japan and all the humans are Japanese. (Sho's family also have Japanese names.)

I did kinda wonder how the British felt about it anyway, I sorta thought of "The Iron Giant" in that respect since Brad Bird set the film in the US instead of England anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2