• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Closed Case Files

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a big busty Santa Claus with giant tits

Egad! A tautology!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
I have to ask, Sammy (if you're reading this) where in the ever living hell did you find that Urd figure?! Shocked I would kill (not literally...but maybe maim a bit) to have one myself. Mind sharing when and where you got that lovely figure?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The point is, Guyver is a giant disappointment. It could've been so much, but it failed. It's boring, it's lame, and it gives Guyver a bad name.

Nope ... the movies are pretty much that way too (only maybe without the pec-attack, it's been so long.)

It really strikes home when a re-release like Santa is sent hurtling into the flaming trash-can, rather than being equally torched but graced with a "misc" tag.

Tweeny v3 has pretty visuals, is dark, and this time with no mention of a pro-environmental theme. If this can be kept up a thinpak could be considered. Though the no-new info (presumably to prevent spoilers) review is a bit disheartening.

What are the boxes in the upper-left corner of pic 2?
triangle_man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Those boxes on the top row in pic 2 are a line of Toynami figures of the Valkyries piloted by the characters shown on the spine. They're apparently pretty hard to find. To have that many of them... wow.

Also, are those Dragon Dice pouches peeking out from behind the Rozen Maiden calendar, or just normal dice bags? It's been quite awhile since I've seen mine, but they look kinda familiar...
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
...someone tell me I'm not the only one amused that the Haruhi Bunny Girls are having their space shared with...Gandalf. Oh, you pervy wizard you.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Nice to see Tweeny Witches as shelf worthy. This series is one of a kind and unfortunately quite unknown v.v

I wonder what happened to the announced sequel? oO

Looking at my updated release schedule notes, Tweeny Witches Adventures is supposed to come out 01/06/2009.

Hopefully Media Blasters can stick to their schedule.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Guyver stars a very normal high school boy who becomes extraordinary by complete accident.

Just once, I would like to see an anime where a very extraordinary man becomes totally normal completely intentionally. Then, he and his various female friends go on a trip to the arctic and wear snow suits that show absolutely no skin for the whole episode. In the end though, he abandons his friends because the power of friendship is just a myth. All the characters are in their mid to late thirties and are not especially attractive. The main character's catch phrase is "that last thing I said isn't actually true so don't believe it." He says it very quietly.

If you think this is a bad idea, you hate Flag Day and will go to hell.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to give Tweeny Witches another try. I couldn't make it past the first two episodes way back when, but it sounds like if I stick with it there will be a definite pay-off.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'm going to have to give Tweeny Witches another try. I couldn't make it past the first two episodes way back when, but it sounds like if I stick with it there will be a definite pay-off.

Story-wise, I found the first volume somewhat boring, but I stuck around for the unique visuals--but the show really improves with the second and third volumes once the show gets more action-oriented and starts focusing on its main plot.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Props to the guy with the shelves. We have a lot of anime in common. Finally, some Solty Rei love! Very Happy

As for the Shelf Life reviews, I did see the first volume of Tweeny Witches and enjoyed it. It has a very Tim Burton-esque feel to it, and since I love Tim Burton, that was totally cool. Wink The only thing I didn't like was how short the episodes were. It felt like the plot was way too rushed at some points.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
The only thing I didn't like was how short the episodes were.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on this, but I thought I remember listening to a past Right Stuf podcast where they explained Tweeny Witches were set up to be short episodes. Apparently they would be placed in between normal-length shows on Japanese tv.

I thought the show timings seemed strange too until it was explained that way.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
The only thing I didn't like was how short the episodes were.

Anyone please feel free to correct me on this, but I thought I remember listening to a past Right Stuf podcast where they explained Tweeny Witches were set up to be short episodes. Apparently they would be placed in between normal-length shows on Japanese tv.

I thought the show timings seemed strange too until it was explained that way.
The length does seem odd for this type of series. First time I've seen a dramatic show done this way, since it's usually for episodic comedies that don't want to drag out the humor or as you say are used to fill odd slots between other shows. I recall reading about it, but not a specific reason why it was done.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
maaya wrote:
Nice to see Tweeny Witches as shelf worthy. This series is one of a kind and unfortunately quite unknown v.v

I wonder what happened to the announced sequel? oO

Looking at my updated release schedule notes, Tweeny Witches Adventures is supposed to come out 01/06/2009.

Hopefully Media Blasters can stick to their schedule.

Last I heard though, Best Buy will have them in early as an exlusive tomorrow (the 25th). So you might be able to pick it up early. Glad, because it was lame they were releasing the complete boxset before the singles were even done.

Note: Those mentioning the short episodes, you do realize MB arranged the episodes into basic 23 minute long episodes, right? They did a good job of it, too.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
In the first shelf picture, third row, does anyone know what box set that is between the ROD TV Collector's Edition and the Rosen Maiden LE set? The one that says "Warning" on it?
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
In the first shelf picture, third row, does anyone know what box set that is between the ROD TV Collector's Edition and the Rosen Maiden LE set? The one that says "Warning" on it?

I'm pretty sure that's Excel Saga. I've never seen the boxset in anything other than slimpack, so correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like Menchi on the side there. And if it says "Warning"? Yeah, that's probably Excel Saga...

And hey, I have that same copy of The Princess Bride!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3