• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever had an anime ruined for you because of over-zealous fans?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Us anime fans can be quite vocal about what new shows we like. Unfortunately, some of us don't know when to shut up, and anime fans seem to be afflicted with the "everyone else OBVIOUSLY has watched my new favorite show and therefore I can leave spoilers unmarked and no one will care" belief more than most.

So, I assume we've all had that time when some new show became popular, and therefore not hearing about it was pretty much impossible. No matter where you went, someone would blatantly spoil it for you and ruin the whole thing. And then they get offended when you say "thanks, asshole, I really like the fact that you just ruined the show by telling me the big plot twist and who dies and whatever".

I've mentioned it on other forums, but this show for is Madoka Magica. Honestly, I've lost all drive to purchase Aniplex's release of it and watch it, when I waited so long for it. Thanks to stupid fans spoiling every part of it, I pretty much know ALL the stuff that happens. Okay, not all, but a lot. What's the point of watching the show when nothing is new?

This is what I get for not watching fansubs. Gee, actually hold out for a legal release and you get this. Anime fandom, you piss me off sometimes.

Anyone else ever had this happen to them?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine this spoiling happening outside of threads committed to each anime. Naturally if I haven't seen a particular anime I don't start reading a thread about that anime. Ofcourse this is in ANN and I'd avoid threads and comments elsewhere. I do however think that all spoilers should tagged, even in threads dedicated to a specific anime even if the thread's title mentioned that spoilers might be present.

I've never ruined my expirience, because I avoid all comments and threads dedicated to animes I haven't seen. I'd only blame myself for spoiling my expirience should I stumble upon a spoiler while reading comments about a particular anime.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks to stupid fans spoiling every part of it, I pretty much know ALL the stuff that happens.

I beg to differ who exactly has been the stupid one here when really if you didn't want something spoiled you should have just avoided the topics and threads to do with madoka. If you engage in a topic where anime plot is going to be discussed be prepared for people to cross reference and discuss major plot points. Knowing which forums to avoid and which to frequent helps a bit aswell. I only discuss anime in this forum as a rule.

It's the internet, what do you exspect. This is a time where everyone everywhere wants the things they enjoy as soon as they can and heaven forbid wants to engage in discussion about them as soon as they can.

Also there will always be someone that leaves spoilers untagged. I 've had this with cowboy beebop but that was becasue I was in a topic where anime plot was being discussed. It was my own fault. You are being unrealistic for exspecting to be able to stay unaware of plot points in a major anime title for 6 months plus if you frequent lots of different anime or anime related forums. Thats just the way it is.

Out of interest what were you reading when you had the plot spoiled for you?
Volibear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
i've had Mirai Nikki ruined for me, not by anyone on here, but by people on youtube (i was listening to the OP when it came out and someone decided to put a bunch of spoilers about the ending in the comments, needless to say alot of people where just as annoyed as me)

i don't think i've ever had anything ruined by people on here before though, the ANN community is alot better than the couple of other forums i follow, i guess partly because its just far better regulated but also the people themselves seem to be better and far more respectful people
shabaz92

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I've mentioned it on other forums, but this show for is Madoka Magica. Honestly, I've lost all drive to purchase Aniplex's release of it and watch it, when I waited so long for it. Thanks to stupid fans spoiling every part of it, I pretty much know ALL the stuff that happens. Okay, not all, but a lot. What's the point of watching the show when nothing is new?
Alot of the fun of Madoka was watching the show week to week and speculating what would happen next. I don't think you would get the same effect watching on DVD even if you weren't spoiled. It's still a great series and you should watch it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46, if you stopped waltzing into PMMM-related threads maybe you wouldn't have been spoiled so much. You say you've been spoiled on almost everything, which implies you were spoiled multiple times. Here's a thought; after the first or second time, stop visiting those places where you're reading the spoilers.

Volibear, your first mistake was to go to YouTube to watch a video relating to a show you haven't finished yet. Your second and bigger mistake was to read the comments section of that video. YouTube is notorious about users spoiling things in the comments, and I can't muster any sympathy for a person who ignored that truth.

Both of you, take some personal responsibility and use some common sense.
sandpuck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't need other fan's help, I often spoil a series for myself by myself by looking it up on TVtropes or reading threads about it before I finish watching it. The only time I remember when I unintenionally get to know an ending of a series on ANN was when the Usagi Drop anime came out and in the preview guide Zac rated it "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ENDING". It took me about 2 seconds to figure out how manga ended and the other comments from people who knew the manga confirmed my suspicion. To be fair, it was manga's ending that got spoiled, not anime's, and nobody described the details without spoiler tags.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I do not often get spoiled because the shows that I like tend to not have many elements, such as plot twists, that are vulnerable to major spoilers, but I still think that spoilers should usually be tagged.
An exception would be in a thread about a specific show, or episode, that is obviously intended as a discussion for people who have seen the show. In those types of threads spoiler tags are usually just an unnecessary nuisance, and I agree with others who say that anybody who has not seen the show and does not want to be spoiled should avoid those threads.

The worst type of spoiler is something that I do not recall ever seeing here in the ANN forums. That is when somebody posts a spoiler that is not related to the topic of the thread. An example would be that in a thread about a particular show somebody posts something like "I hope the main character does not get killed like he did in [insert totally different show here]."
I have actually seen that. I have even seen anime spoilers posted in threads about unrelated manga.
That type of spoiler should definitely be avoided.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Letting a fanbase ruin a show for you is silly.

Now, that's not to say there's not shows out there with clearly the worst fanbases you could ever imagine, but they're shows not really worth watching in the first place so it doesn't concern me much unless they invade threads and start spewing junk about it.

(Though honestly, in terms of spoilers, there's a clear line of statutory. There's no real reason for you not to have seen Madoka by now if you're legitimately interested in it)
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
unless they invade threads and start spewing junk about it.

Or they post in a thread titled something like "Memorable deaths," "memorable <whatever>" and decide that they don't need to post spoiler tags because "the thread title already suggests that there will be spoilers" not getting the fact that the thread title is so open that that logic would only be sound if everyone who went into it had seen every anime series ever made before going into it.
*catches breath*

That happened to me with a few titles.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
(Though honestly, in terms of spoilers, there's a clear line of statutory. There's no real reason for you not to have seen Madoka by now if you're legitimately interested in it)

I'm interested in seeing it. Why haven't I? Because it's not legally available to watch in the US. As soon as it goes up on a streaming site, I'll be able to watch it. So yes, there is a real reason for someone interested in it to not have seen it.

And honestly, I don't believe in a "statute" of spoiler territory. Yes, there are places which will have spoilers (discussion threads, etc) that should be avoided, but there's also common courtesy. Just the other night, I was in a chat room for a game I'm in, and I mentioned where I was at in G Gundam. Someone proceeded to try to discuss things that happen later, and I said to stop, because I'm not there yet, and I haven't seen the series before. When they tried to argue, the rest of the chat jumped on them. There's no "statute" when someone flat-out says they haven't seen something and don't want spoilers. It's all about respect.

I personally have less problems with spoilers from the fandom, and more with the fans themselves. I enjoyed Gundam Wing enough when I initially saw it, and would probably at least put it in the same category as G Gundam (enjoyable enough to watch, but not something I'd ever want to waste money on), if not for the fans, which have completely turned me off from it. The other would be Hetalia, in which the fans have made me ashamed to admit I've ever seen the show, lest I be associated with them.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chagen46, if you stopped waltzing into PMMM-related threads maybe you wouldn't have been spoiled so much. You say you've been spoiled on almost everything, which implies you were spoiled multiple times. Here's a thought; after the first or second time, stop visiting those places where you're reading the spoilers.

Except quite often, I was never in a PPMM thread in the first place. PPMM fans have this incredible ability to ram their favorite show into godddamn everything and then never SHUT UP about it. I've been spoiled on the damn show from things ranging from discussion of other anime to god knows what else. For god's sake, someone's sig on another forum spoiled that scene. A GODDAMN SIG.

Gurren Lagann is one my favorite shows of all time, but you don't see me talking about spoiler[Kamina's death] every two f**king seconds. PPMM fans, on the other hand, cannot talk about ANYTHING without mentioning spoiler[Mami's death].

Quote:

Sorry, but I prefer waiting for official releases. I have never watched fansubs, not once.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
A very close call: I actually ended up dropping Usagi Drop for a while because of all the mentions of the manga's end, though I ended up watching(and enjoying) the last episode about four months later.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The suggestion "stay out of threads that may contain spoilers" is incorrect. It goes against the nature of dedicated title discussion threads, and it goes against the nature of anime discussion communities. It is such poor advice because it fails to take into account common sources of spoilers.

The nature of a thread dedicated to a particular title is to discuss it. Moreover, "this is a time where everyone everywhere wants the things they enjoy as soon as they can and heaven forbid wants to engage in discussion about them as soon as they can." Thus, the point of the thread is also to discuss it as soon as possible. Now, the few days of schedule differences between raw, fansub, and official stream may fall under "as soon as possible," but waiting for the series to finish airing does not. The "stay out..." suggestion defeats the purpose of such dedicated threads where the anime is an adaptation. The Fate/Zero thread is an excellent example of this problem: There is a small group of people who casually throw out spoilers from the finished novel series without properly identifying the information, leading to the possibility that someone would find out information from the last book on the first page of the thread. Nor is this phenomenon isolated to Fate/Zero. The Mirai Nikki thread has similar problems. If the point of dedicated title threads is for people to "engage in discussion about them as soon as they can," then it is contradictory to also blame the thread visitors for failing to avoid the topics that contain potential spoilers.

The Fate/Zero thread illustrates a second problem with the "stay out..." suggestion: A franchise. We commonly have people who did not follow other titles in a franchise entering at a new title. How the posters treat spoilers from Fate/Stay Night in the Fate/Zero thread were different. This franchise is a grey area in that it may not be wrong to expect people to know the original title when watching the prequel. The issue is less grey when the franchise consists of largely unrelated titles. For example, it's almost impossible to discuss Stella and Shinn from Gundam Seed Destiny without someone bringing up spoilers from Zeta Gundam, a quirk of the franchise that I would not expect newcomers to the franchise to know or research. It would certainly be a violation of the "as soon as possible" principle to expect a fan to watch the entire franchise before entering a discussion thread dedicated to an entry in a franchise.

The existence of threads dedicated to plots indicates one purpose of a general anime thread: To discuss common elements in a medium. An anime forum, especially one like ANN, is not merely a collection of threads dedicated to particular anime titles or franchises. It is a synthesis of the medium. The nature of such threads is not a license to fail to properly mark spoilers, because it is unrealistic to expect a visitor to have seen every anime; it is against the nature of a discussion forum in general to expect people to not read the thread before posting; and it is against the nature of a general anime forum.

Ultimately, being spoiled because someone has posted improperly marked spoilers is the fault of the person who posted the spoiler. There are certain precautions that a reader can take, but the idea that he should stay out of discussion threads or read spoilers at his own risk does not properly distribute responsibilities in a forum with rules.

That being said, I can't recall off hand where an anime was ruined because overzealous fans posted spoilers. Most of the time, I read the spoiler because I didn't think I'd become interested in the anime or because I read too much in places other than a dedicated anime forum. In such cases, I can often still make the best of the situation by changing my interest to how something is accomplished.

However, it's not uncommon for overzealous fans to ruin a title for me in a different way: By repeatedly bringing up a title's alleged superiority when I am indifferent to a title, slightly interested in it, or slightly against it. I find the repeated praise of the title to be a nuisance, one that is understandable and thus tolerable if it is an icon of the medium like Cowboy Bebop, but one that is merely off-putting if it's a niche title like Nanoha. Recall that "this is a time where everyone [...] wants to engage in discussion about them." The corollary of this claim is that if I don't want to discuss the anime, then I'm less likely to want to watch it. I do not want to discuss an anime if I find its fandom to be a nuisance. Thus, I am unlikely to watch titles like Legend of the Galactic Heroes or any more Nanoha titles.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the things that Raftina and Dessa have said.

Some of you seem to forget it is not just forum threads where people carelessly post spoilers. Let's use Funimation's Facebook page for example - Fans would make stupid posts such as this: "OMG RANDOM ANIME CHARACTER JUST DIED ON EPISODE 46!!! AND RANDOM GUY BECAME A MAGICAL GIRL WHO DECIDED TO MAKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD A MAGICAL GIRL AND TOGETHER THEY DEFEATED THE EVIL SOUL SUCKING TEDDY BEARS ENVADING EARTH! DID EVERYONE SEE THAT EPISODE THAT ONLY CAME OUT HALF AN HOUR AGO?!". Are you seriously saying that people shouldn't go on any Anime related site because some idiot fan can't keep their mouth shut or give some warning that they are about to post spoilers? That is ridiculous. Can we not try to teach the fans to learn something called "common courtesy"?

Why is it that people are allowed to be so disrespectful towards other fans? Why are you defending these people? It would not kill them to use their brains for a moment and consider the fact that not everyone in the world has seen their favorite Anime or read their favorite manga series. It is even worse when they use the excuse "Oh, it has been out for a decade so EVERYONE has seen it". Uh, no. Babies are born every second, minute, hour, and day so how could they have possibly watched something like Cowboy Bebop? New fans are also born every day and plenty of them never heard of such shows that we consider "mainstream".

But I remember having about 2 Anime shows ruined for me in one go here on the forums. That was because they didn't use spoiler tags and the title of the post didn't indicate that there were spoilers present. And what was worse is that they posted endings to 6 different Anime shows so it was not just me that they ruined a show for. Are you saying that is my fault for not knowing that a massive amount of spoilers were in that post? I'd say it is the poster's fault for not using that nifty little spoiler tag button. They were a somewhat frequent poster at the time too so they knew better. But man was I ever pissed to have Air's ending spoiled for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3