• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Apollon Reunites Cowboy Bebop Director, Composer Kanno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal September

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
HHHHYYYYYYPPPPEEEE!!!!!!!

But seriously. The last time when expectations were this high about a Noitamina show, it ended up being Guilty f***in' Crown.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
That's a fair point. I think those expectations are comparatively more justified right now, to be honest, but those who are celebrating the loudest should hopefully take the time to watch the trailer and read what the new show is actually going to be about before the hype comes back around to bite them. Even the presence of highly talented staff doesn't necessarily mean that their newest work will appeal to everyone who, say, enjoyed Cowboy Bebop back in the day.

Having said that, I'm still going to watch this project and see how things turn out. The director and composer are excellent, no doubt, and the story sounds like it could be a very good character/period piece. Anything else? I have no idea and would rather avoid making too many assumptions.
Eternal September

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a love triangle.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Sweet Jesus yes. Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
So not only does Watanabe finally make his return to anime, he does it alongside Kanno, on the noitamina block, for a show about jazz? I'm sorry. I think that statement might be just a little too awesome for my brain to process this early in the day.

Saffire wrote:
I was just scratching my head over that, but based on the teaser, I think the article meant that Nakamura's show will air alongside Apollon. As in, it's the second spring Noitamina show. Nakamura's project is supposed to be announced next week.

Wait. So we're getting a new Watanabe project and a new Nakamura project all in the same season!? My faith in noitamina has officially been restored.

nightjuan wrote:
That's a fair point.

That's not a "fair point" at all. Guilty Crown looked like shit from the minute it was announced.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
A very solid set of staff names, so far. This is the first time I've actually focused on this title, though I know ANN has mentioned it in the past. The promo video piques my interest, and I couldn't help but think of Beck while watching it. I'm sure it will be quite different. That the manga has an ending is also a bonus.

Eternal September wrote:
Quote:
It looks like a love triangle.

I was thinking that myself.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series.
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Whats with all the Guilty Crown hate?? I'm actually quite enjoying it.
opn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Whats with all the Guilty Crown hate?? I'm actually quite enjoying it.

maybe because either A) the trailers were awesome and many people myself included had high expectations for the show and those expectations were utterly utterly crushed B) its cliche hell or C) both. as for apollo i was skeptical at first but after looking at the promo plus konno doing the music makes me very excited and even though i think cowboy bebob is overrated i did however enjoye champloo quite a bit.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
This is fantastic! It will be criminal if it's not streamed.

Hell yeah! I was sold as soon as I saw Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno listed. But the trailer is enticing - I'm digging that drum solo! I cannot wait to check this series out.

As far as streaming is concerned, I'm sure it will be. If not *sad panda eyes*
macloud

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
You had me at Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

That's not a "fair point" at all. Guilty Crown looked like shit from the minute it was announced.

No, your opinion is wrong and mine is right! We must settle this in personal combat! Laughing

In all seriousness...my view is that it was always going to be very cliched, to say the least, but even the promotional videos alone suggested Guilty Crown could have been better than what it turned out to be. The creative staff had a mixed record, true, but I have still enjoyed some of their other productions. The concept had a couple of interesting elements and, in short, being cautiously optimistic should never be a sin. For some very brief moments -perhaps 2.5 episodes here and there, in retrospect- the series arguably tried...until it, quite frankly, stopped giving a damn and so did I.

More importantly, this upcoming show will likely be much better, even at its worst, so let's not get too far from Apollon here.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely on for this one.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually more interested in the fact that this technically reunites Noboteru Yuki and Yoko Kanno, since Escaflowne is the only anime with a soundtrack I really like that I associate with Kanno. Perhaps if Maaya Sakamoto sings a theme song, it will be a much more notable distinction.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
[...] [........] [.............!!!!!!] [!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

(the above is the closest approximations that I can come to transliterating the sounds I was making a second ago into something approximating the english language. Difficult, as they were mostly gurgles and off-key hissing)

Oh man! Oh, that video! Oh, that staff!

... Oh, Noitamina ...

Please, Please don't be another Fractale ...
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kodamayuki/

i think you guys want to link to that kodama yuki instead of this other kodama yuki listed in this article.

http://jelly-fuckers.com/

Looking at the encyclopedia pages, this mistake has happened already once before. it's confusing because the other kodama also has a manga and that is also getting an anime probably this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5