• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[JP/HK/TW/KR] DVD/Blu-ray Release List with [EngSub] and/or [EngDub]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below)

via YesAsia.com
Quote:

• Release Date: 2012-03-23
  • Language: Cantonese, Japanese
  • Subtitles: English, Traditional Chinese
  • Sound Information: Dolby Digital 2.0, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1

• Japanese (DTS 5.1)
    • Japanese (Dolby Digital 2.0)
    • Cantanese (Dolby Digital 2.0)
    • Japanese (Dolby Digital 2.0 - audio commentary)

• Disc Format(s): Blu-ray, 25 GB - Single Layer
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p (1920 x 1080 progressive scan)
  • Video Codecs: AVC (MPEG-4 Part 10)
  • Duration: 116 (mins)
  • Publisher: Asia Video (HK)

Quote:
Blu-ray (LE):

• picture album, film strip, a set of 4 postcards
  • Disc 1 (Movie): about 116 minutes
  • Disc 2 (Special Features): about 130 minutes (Chinese subtitles) [Note: expect this to be on DVD only]
DVD versions (R3) with English subs also available: Reg (US$15.99) / 2-DVD LE [Note: 2nd disc only has Chinese Subs] (US$19.49)
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The Bandai Visual link now confirms English sub.

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

via muhootsaver | Amazon Japan listing: Vol.1
Quote:
Vol.1 - 7140yen, 5/25

Includes the first two episodes.

- first press limited sleeve
- OP storyboard collection
- booklet
- audio commentary
- non-credit OP

(source)
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Here are some HK BD covers for Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below).

jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe I spent $100 on the JP LE. Laughing
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Might want to unbold Castle in the Sky/Laputa and Whisper of the Heart as it was recently announced that they will be getting a Blu-ray releases in North America. Smile

Also, couple more things:

Funimation released a Blu-ray version (or Combo pack I should say) of Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ on January 31, 2012. And Sentai Filmworks is releasing Planzet on Blu-ray and DVD on May 22nd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
Ninja Scroll (movie) Blu-ray release | 8190yen, 5/23

via muhootsaver
Quote:
JP Ninja Scroll BD will include English dub. Audio commentary track is included as well link
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
[R2J DVD] Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi [EngDub]

Amazon Japan listings: Vol.1, Vol.2, Vol.3, Vol.4, Vol.5, Vol.6, Vol.7, Vol.8, Vol.9

Vol.1 - 1800yen (2940yen each for Vol.2 to Vol.9), 50 minutes, 6/22

ANN: A computed-animated Japanese co-production with Singapore's Sparky Animation.

via CD Japan
Quote:
First DVD release of Arashi no Yoru ni Himitsu no Tomodachi anime series based on Yuichi Kimura novel. Plot: It tells the impossible friendship between a wolf, Kabu, and the goat Mei. Includes episodes 1 and 2.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Eureka Seven AO [JP Blu-ray] [EngSub]

Amazon Japan links:

via Bandai Visual
  • LE: Vol.1 - 2 eps., 5250yen, 6/22
  • Reg: Vol.1 - 2 eps., 4725yen, 6/22

LE: Vol.2 (7/27), Vol.3 (8/24), Vol.4 (9/21), Vol.5 (10/26), Vol.6 (11/22), Vol.7 (12/21), Vol.8 (1/29), Vol.9 (2/22) -> 7350yen each
Reg: Vol.2 to Vol.9 -> 6525yen each

via CD Japan
  • LE: Vol.1
    Quote:
    Includes badge, design works 1, booklet.
    Special Features: introduction movie, TV spot, promotional video, audio commentary for episode 1

• Reg: Vol.1
    Quote:
    Special Features: introduction movie, TV spot, promotional video, audio commentary for episode 1

Last edited by WTK on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
I've never ordered a BD from Japan before, but I've a question regarding the listings with "Yes" optioned under "English Dub".

Does this mean our local VA talent is hired and audio tracks are shipped over before pressing or am I expecting to hear "low low low you boat gentry down re stream"?

Don't laugh. It's actually how it sounds in an episode of High School of the Dead.

Basically put: what should I expect if I do import when it comes to the English dub?
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
The dubs are the ones from the R1 releases, so it's ones from Funimation, BangZoom, etc...

The only exception is Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi, which is apparently using foreigners living in Japan according to this post on TFP. I wouldn't trust that dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The dubs are the ones from the R1 releases, so it's ones from Funimation, BangZoom, etc...

I'm sorry, but I'm confused.

In looking at the list, I see Strike Witches 2 has an English dub. Based on how I'm reading the list, if I order this bluray from Japan, I should get the dub.

This makes no sense to me, because one of the reasons I'd order this is because FUNimation can't seem to get the series to finish it dubbed.

Am I reading the list wrong?
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
In looking at the list, I see Strike Witches 2 has an English dub. Based on how I'm reading the list, if I order this bluray from Japan, I should get the dub.

This makes no sense to me, because one of the reasons I'd order this is because FUNimation can't seem to get the series to finish it dubbed.

Am I reading the list wrong?

This particular release will include both English subtitles and English dubbing. Every once in a while, select JP BD releases are released like this. An upcoming example would be Durarara!!
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
This particular release will include both English subtitles and English dubbing.

So to clarify: I can order this, direct from Japan right now, with an English dub, and beat out FUNimation's currently delayed release?

There's something very wrong with this.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
WTK wrote:
This particular release will include both English subtitles and English dubbing.

So to clarify: I can order this, direct from Japan right now, with an English dub, and beat out FUNimation's currently delayed release?

There's something very wrong with this.

Yes you can import the BD-box and it will include the English dub.

Even though FUNimation won't/can't say it, this JP BD-Box is pretty much the main reason for their release delay. A previous example would be Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. The grace (wait) period was about a year before FUNimation can release it after the JP BD-Box (that had both Eng sub & dub).
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Wasn't S2 originally going to be released DVD only but was updated to include the blu-ray later on?

My guess is that this is contractual obligations. In order for Funimation to be allowed to sell the blu-ray later on, they have to wait X months after the Japanese blu-ray release in order to avoid reverse importation. And I guess it's in the contract for them to provide the Japanese with their English dub. Under this assumption, Japan just wants to get more bang for their buck - potentially more purchases from people in America unwilling to wait for the "really delayed" Funimation release.

Of course, this is all assuming that this is in the contract between the Japanese license holder and Funimation. But it makes sense to me.

I wonder if contract obligations like this (potentially is) is going to be more common in the future to avoid reverse importing and to get more Americans to purchase Japanese releases. Wouldn't that hurt the American companies? What are they potentially getting out of it? Is the cost of dubbing shared?

Of course, I'm probably overanalyzing the situation. But it has me intrigued.

(Edit: Explained myself better)

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 42