• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You: I Think Therefore I Rant

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
With that kind of dedication, you should be getting a Master Degree in law or something, lol.

That's the most offensive thing you've said in this thread yet. Laughing I am a Development Engineer working for a tissue-engineering medical device company who is going for her Masters in Biomedical Engineering. I demand you redact any statements regarding me and law all together - it spits a gooey, congested glop into my fiercely proud engineering profession and equally fiercely proud aversion of law studies. I have nothing against those who enjoy it, but I'd garrot myself first before trying to go for such a profession.

Bending over backwards for FDA and jumping at their every crack of the whip is enough for me. Laughing

[/not entirely serious rebuff]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Miitan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Back on topic then, did anyone else think that Zac and the 'guy who hates haters' section sounded like one big circlejerk? (assuming you can have a circlejerk with only two people)

The whole section turned into haters hating on haters hating on haters and boiled down to Zac saying "I dislike it when people suggest that my score wasn't right" and the other guy saying the same thing over and over again. If it was a quick 5 minute section I could have overlooked it, but it was 30 minutes of scratched record.

At the end of the day, haters are gonna hate, but to rant for 30 minutes on the topic does no-one any good.

NB: I'm not hating on haters hating on haters hating on haters hating on haters, I'm just saying it was unnecessary.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, another homosexuality debate and us bisexuals aren't even MENTIONED.

I'm used to it at this point, but come on, give us Bi's a least a cursory mention.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
Back on topic then, did anyone else think that Zac and the 'guy who hates haters' section sounded like one big circlejerk? (assuming you can have a circlejerk with only two people)

The whole section turned into haters hating on haters hating on haters and boiled down to Zac saying "I dislike it when people suggest that my score wasn't right" and the other guy saying the same thing over and over again. If it was a quick 5 minute section I could have overlooked it, but it was 30 minutes of scratched record....

As I heard it, Zac was not talking about "I did not have the same response as you, I felt X because of Y" ... but about people who try to "objectively" prove that a review that they disagree with is false / untrue / incorrect. ([!!!!!!!] add some ! from this ! shaker to taste).

It did drag on ... every time it seemed like Zac was trying to wrap it up, there was another "well, not quite exactly like that, but kinda a little like this, you know?" to draaaaaaag it out. I wonder what it would have been like if it was during Zac's AnswerManBurnOut (TM) period ... "Dude, just ignore them and move on, end of story. Next!".
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
I wonder what it would have been like if it was during Zac's AnswerManBurnOut (TM) period ... "Dude, just ignore them and move on, end of story. Next!".

A case for suffering for art if there ever was one!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Oh look, another homosexuality debate and us bisexuals aren't even MENTIONED.

I'm used to it at this point, but come on, give us Bi's a least a cursory mention.
I said GLBT several times. Besides we all know bisexuals don't exist, in fact this post I'm responding to is just a figment of my imagination.
j/k Wink
arromdee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
My reply--a reply to the podcast, not to the 19 pages of discussion about homosexuality here--is that often fans of fanservice shows try to convince themselves that they show they like isn't something as crude as fanservice--oh no, it has real merit to it, it's not like those trashy things that other people like.

So the answer may be "yes, it's fanservice. That's why everyone calls it fanservice. You're trying too hard to see it as not being fanservice because you would rather believe the show is serious literature."

And no, the fact that the story is about a relationship rather than about naked people doesn't mean it's not fanservice.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Except arromdee I know that a lot of users 'round here take pride in the fact that they're watching fanservice-laden shows. They speak about what they'd do to the young nubile ladies in not-so-oblique terms. They use racy Avatars and whatnot. And they don't care what people think. Well, mostly.

Heck, my own father's favourite genre is 'Chicks with Guns' (or swords, or knives, or using martial arts . . . you get the point). The sexier the girls and the skimpier the outfits and the cooler the weapons the better, as far as he's concerned. He makes no attempts to hide his preferences and makes no apologies for liking that sort of thing, even though he's fully aware of how trashy those sorts of shows and movies are.
arromdee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Claiming your fanservice show is serious is the anime equivalent of "I read Playboy for the articles". Certainly, there are plenty of people who admit they read Playboy for the naked women, but the reason we even have such a phrase is that the attitude does exist.

I also think the idea "this isn't fanservice because the characters are in relationships" is a big part of this. I hate to make a generalization about sexes, but the reason we even have such a category as "chick flick" is that a lot of women like such things. Putting relationships in to pander to the audience is still pandering to the audience; something doesn't turn into serious literature just because it's a chick flick where the couple is two hot guys.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
@arromdee - dtm42 has already pointed this out, but let me re-explicate: the sort of thing you seem to be suggesting - that there are fan service fans who don't want to admit that fanservice exists in certain shows - doesn't really exist. At least not here at ANN which is pretty much my only window in the soul of anime fandom.

Now, what I think you may be struggling to articulate is that, for example, loli enthusiasts will argue that a loli-fanservice show has more merit than simply being pedo-fap material. They may also argue that the loli element is not as pervasive as critics claim. But as for your hazy generalization that fanservice fans will claim that their fanservice show is "serious" ... I don't really see that at all.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But as for your hazy generalization that fanservice fans will claim that their fanservice show is "serious" ... I don't really see that at all.

I've defended both Queen's Blade and Strike Witches before when people want to toss them into the trash heap with the likes of Kanokan and Akane-iro. There's no way I'd deny the fact that there's lots and lots of fanservice in those shows, I'd be an idiot to do so, but to say they have no merit outside of that and they're trashy, no-good shows is an absurd statement. You may not like the story and you may feel the character development is poorly done, but if someone were to say that those elements were tacked on and that the fanservice is the only key element, they'd be wrong. Some may not be able to see passed the fanservice, and that's fine and I understand that since it's very in-your-face, but there is more than meets the eye with those shows and there are those like myself who enjoy the other elements besides the fanservice.

I don't get angry over people's opinion often, but when people trash Queen's Blade and throw it to the curve, I do get a little pissed off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
But again, what you are outlining, TKoH, doesn't seem to be what arromdee is claiming he or she sees. It's one thing for somebody to say, "Yeah, QB is a fanservice-heavy show, but there's more going on than that" which is your position (and my own), but arromdee seems to be claiming that there are fans out there who would deny the existence of fanservice in QB, which I don't think is the case.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
The way I read his post seems to sound like "People who like fanservice are trying way too hard to defend themselves when they say crazy things like 'fanservice shows can be more than eye candy.'"

It kind of sounds like he's saying fanservice fans don't know what they're talking about when they say Queen's Blade is a legitimately good show and is more than the fanservice.

Although, honestly, I'm not 100% what he's trying to say.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Although, honestly, I'm not 100% what he's trying to say.

Yeah, I think that is the crux of the problem here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
There is a certain segment of the population of fanservice show fans who will twist themselves into knots trying to convince people that not only is "Boob School Monogatari" or whatever not really about boobs but it's totally about the deep relationship between two characters or the "hilarious comedy" or whatever it is they've decided the show is actually about instead of the breasts being pushed into the camera every 15 seconds.

It gets to the point where they'll deny that even basic descriptions of a fanservice show's premise are accurate, insisting that everyone only refer to the series based on whatever terminology they've come up with. Happens all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18