Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, January 15-21




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tenbyakugon



Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 725
Location: Michigan, United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Naruto volume 53's fourth week on the top 10! Keep going! <3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
baadaku12345



Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that Viz volumes has a less expensive US price than Sailor Moon, but SM has a cheaper Canadian price than Viz.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marie-antoinette



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 4136
Location: Ottawa, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
I find it odd that Viz volumes has a less expensive US price than Sailor Moon, but SM has a cheaper Canadian price than Viz.


The price for SM was probably set at a time when the Canadian dollar was doing better? Only explanation I can think of. Viz probably wants to keep the price on its books pretty much stable as well, especially on long-running series, so I imagine they wouldn't change the Canadian price without also changing the American one for some market reason.

Anyway, so thrilled to see the two Sailor Moon books on top of the chart, especially seeing vol 2 still be up so high. It also reminds me that I really need to read it (and pick up vol 3 for myself).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1646
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
^ I think Kodansha prints its books in Canada, so that's probably a big factor.

Glad to see SM back up there! Vol 1 was up for so long, it was amazing to see the other volumes ever drop off the list! Still, there's been ALOT of titles released lately!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 989
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon strikes back! Nice Kodansha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TsukasaElkKite



Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 3388
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Sailor Moon is doing so well, considering that the adaptations are absolute sh!t. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Sunderland, England, UK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I am glad they are and while yes the translation choices in places have been a bit regrettable (the translator got an attack name wrong - Spark Ring Wide Pressure should be Sparkling Wide Pressure as it's スパークリング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supākuringu waido puresshā) not スパーク・リング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supāku ringu waido puresshā) just going by what other fans have said on the subject, not knowing an awful lot of Japanse myself but スパークリング is used in Japan for the 'sparkling' in 'sparkling drink') I would rather see this release be supported by fans to hopefully show there is a precedent for a release of the anime in the west again, rather than have people flock to scanlations and put TOEI off. I just wish that Kodansha would go back and do some fixes where mistakes have been pointed out for there reprints but apparently they aren't listening. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2360
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
I am glad they are and while yes the translation choices in places have been a bit regrettable (the translator got an attack name wrong - Spark Ring Wide Pressure should be Sparkling Wide Pressure as it's スパークリング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supākuringu waido puresshā) not スパーク・リング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supāku ringu waido puresshā) just going by what other fans have said on the subject, not knowing an awful lot of Japanse myself but スパークリング is used in Japan for the 'sparkling' in 'sparkling drink') I would rather see this release be supported by fans to hopefully show there is a precedent for a release of the anime in the west again, rather than have people flock to scanlations and put TOEI off. I just wish that Kodansha would go back and do some fixes where mistakes have been pointed out for there reprints but apparently they aren't listening. Rolling Eyes


They also botched one of the villians' name in this volume.

Japanese: プリンス・デマンド (Prince Demand)

Kodansha: Prince Demande

ADV: Prince Dimande

DiC & Tokyopop: Prince Diamond
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marie-antoinette



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 4136
Location: Ottawa, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
^ I think Kodansha prints its books in Canada, so that's probably a big factor.


So they do. That's rather unusual, actually. But yes, it would have to play a factor as well, since that would help with some of the distribution costs that are higher in Canada since here they have to send fewer books farther.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Wiesteria



Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 141
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not all of the works are produced in Japan.


Which ones would these be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GracieLizzy



Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Sunderland, England, UK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
I am glad they are and while yes the translation choices in places have been a bit regrettable (the translator got an attack name wrong - Spark Ring Wide Pressure should be Sparkling Wide Pressure as it's スパークリング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supākuringu waido puresshā) not スパーク・リング・ワイド・プレッシャー (supāku ringu waido puresshā) just going by what other fans have said on the subject, not knowing an awful lot of Japanse myself but スパークリング is used in Japan for the 'sparkling' in 'sparkling drink') I would rather see this release be supported by fans to hopefully show there is a precedent for a release of the anime in the west again, rather than have people flock to scanlations and put TOEI off. I just wish that Kodansha would go back and do some fixes where mistakes have been pointed out for there reprints but apparently they aren't listening. Rolling Eyes


They also botched one of the villians' name in this volume.

Japanese: プリンス・デマンド (Prince Demand)

Kodansha: Prince Demande

ADV: Prince Dimande

DiC & Tokyopop: Prince Diamond


I noticed that too, nobody get's the guys name right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group