• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cease & Desist Letters for Eva: 1.0, Soul Eater Fansubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
mythus wrote:
These Japanese companies have a flawed assessment on why their sales in other countries are declining.
<snip>
$30 a volume is budget for the Japanese audience, yet that's because they have the ability to differentiate.

Let's get the numbers right.
$30 is the standard US MSRP price tag for a single volume of anime with 3-5 eps. It is not dictated directly by the Japanese companies. (It is dictated by market conditions.)
~4800 yen ($45ish) is the standard MSRP for a Japanese release with 2-4 episodes.
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't care about the laws, I don't care about the R1 industry (I hope it collapses), I don't care about ethics.

Question No offence sir but this is what has allways confused me when people call themselves fans, in that context cud you explain to me how you are a fan so I can get a better understanding.

From wikipedia: "A fan is someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm for a sporting club, person (usually a celebrity), group of persons, company, product, work of art, idea, or trend."

As I have an "intense, occasionally overwhelming liking and enthusiasm" for anime, I am an anime fan, by deffinition.

Nowhere does it say that to be a fan of anime you must buy anime DVDs.

PS: I didn't say I don't buy anime DVDs. I said I don't buy R1 anime DVDs, out of principle. In Romania, it cost the same to import, wether it's an R1 or R2 (the shipping, I mean, as R2 are more expensive) I will NEVER support the R1 industry.

Thankyou for clearing that up sir, I was under the assumption that you were a 100% leech making up excuses not to buy anything, Tho I personally would not go as far as saying I hope the R1 industery collpases myself, but hey each to there own and some people are more demanding than others.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:

Check it out here:
www.funimation.com/survey

Cool, I was always wondering about those reply cards. I don't like going to get postage, I don't mail anything in my life, ever, but I will fill this out since I have bought many Funimation titles.

As far as your other comments, I don't really hold the C&D letters against you for the most part. The vast majority of what Funimation has sent C&D letters on has been out in the wild for a long time so most who were interested had a good opportunity to go watch the fansub. To be honest, I still don't care about the C&D and will download whatever show I can find online that isn't readily available for purchase/etc. Or, I'll download it if I really am not sure (ex: Shuffle, which I downloaded the fansub of after I knew the show was going to be released to make a decision on it. I did buy the entire show/artbox/etc. due to that download).

I do see that you are doing more online and I think that's a good thing, but not every show that got a C&D is available yet, and I think this is why people are irritated about the letters. The Japanese companies do still have a right to request they be sent in the current environment though, and I think Funimation is likely doing this to maintain good relations. So while I don't agree with it, I'm not going to be a hater about it and refuse to buy titles/etc.

The best thing I think would be if these C&Ds at least came with a release date or announcement. The fact they come with "this doesn't mean we are licensing" is actually the annoying bit. I really want to see a release for Spice & Wolf, but there is no date/etc.

(Just filled out survey, I couldn't say this on there but I put I would not be buying Blu-ray. This isn't necessarily true. I will be buying them once the PC drives are < 100$ and once the format is sufficiently cracked to allow play/backup in Ubuntu at reasonable speed with a reasonably low amount of difficulty. I recently had to rip the copy of Ghosthunt I bought because it refused to play on my main PC. Thankfully it could be ripped on one of the other DVD drives. I'm pretty sure this was probably due to a use of bad/weak sector copy protection. Obviously this protection wasn't effective, but it did serve very well to waste my time and annoy me. I'd appreciate if Funimation would stop using these protections).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Thankyou for clearing that up sir, I was under the assumption that you were a 100% leech making up excuses not to buy anything, Tho I personally would not go as far as saying I hope the R1 industery collpases myself, but hey each to there own and some people are more demanding than others.

OK, maybe I went a little overboard with the "hope R1 collapses" comment, but I do hate R1s. The quality is most of the time pretty bad. There's a reason R2s have 2-3 episodes MAX per disk. It's all about the quality, and when you cram 4-6 episodes on a DVD and add an english dub as well, the quality is going to go straight to hell. That's why I don't minf paying an extra 10-20$ per disk, even if there are less episodes. I want quality, and the R1 industry is not poviding me with that.

I was one of the sad foold who bought Haruhi R1. The video quality was beyond any hope of redemption.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

It does make it less likely that certain future titles will be made. Creating an anime is a big risk. If the Japanese industry can only recover its costs from Japan, it is likely to be more conservative with the amount and kind of shows it makes. I'm fine with this, personally, because I like the kind of anime popular with those who buy Japanese R2 DVDs. I suspect most people will not be. Of course, anime will still be made, even if our options become more limited.

configspace wrote:

I doubt that shows like Hell Girl 1,2,3 and Baccano are among those producers pitched at investors/publishers using its marketability in other countries when negotiating their budgets.

Based on the information publically available, R2 DVD sales for Baccano averaged in the 3,000s per volume; Hell girl was in the 2,000 range. While not bad, neither one sold particularly well either (in Japan--no public data for R1, of course). It would seem likely that both properties need overseas revenue more than say Kanon (average upper 10,000s per volume). Granted the unknown factor--how much it costs to produce those shows--makes all the difference. Still, it does seem that both Baccano and Hell Girl could have been made with the idea that there would be some overseas revenue.

I think that's about expected for R2 dvd sales aside from big titles like Code Geass or Lucky Star. I'll grant you that future funding may become more limited for certain shows, most of the costs from smaller titles are recouped from TV deals. I mean, we're already well into the third season of Hell Girl, so I don't think they waited for R1 figures to come in before producing the second or third season.

Draneor wrote:

Future sales, future overseas licensing revenue, and the fact that overseas methods of illegal distribution are easier and more prominent than the arcane ones Japan has. Japanese people do download fansubs or use the infrastructure foreign fans created for fansubs to distribute other things. This impacts R2 DVD sales and also rentals, not to mention TV ratings.

You have that the other way around actually Very Happy I can tell you the local crowd could care less about the torrents and networks dedicated to english fansub since they have their own much faster and more accessible networks (without the annoyance of subtitles). It is we who rely on them for fansubbing.

If anything, what the Japenese want--what we have and they don't--are cheap dvd box sets Cool I hear reverse importation of these occur and why shouldn't it? I can't fathom paying per R1-DVD anymore so nearly all of my collection are box sets, particularly the older, cheaper titles. With the prices they way they are for 2 (occasionally 3) eps per R2 dvd, I'm surprised they even have any sales to begin with lol.

Draneor wrote:

We know R1 license fees have come down in recent years, based on public comments by FUNimation. While this is (perhaps) good for the R1 industry, this is likely bad for the Japanese industry.

err.. I don't see how it's bad for the Japanese industry if the cost savings can be passed to us resulting in more sales and thus more titles licensed. Ones that they might never had if prices were high.

Draneor wrote:

Honestly, the Japanese industry has their reasons, the North American industry has their reasons, and fansub watchers have their reasons. It's not so much a matter of there being a party who is acting irrationally. Instead, while our interests overlap and are intertwined, they also sometimes compete with each other. I can never fault someone for acting in their own interests, even if they are counter to mine.

Agreed and well said
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Exactly. Japan, those people who actually make anime, is having FUNi do this for them. This is Japan telling people to knock it off.

Between this Viz censoring over half of their Manga stock (Viz is owned by two JAPANESE companies by the way), and the way Toei had dubtitled releases of their Slam Dunk and Air Master properties, makes me think Japan either doesn't care about region 1 fans or thinks we are all stupid.

Well, some of the posts in this thread are giving them ammunition. Laughing

configspace wrote:

First, it's good to get a reply (really Smile ) Like I mentioned before, MFI, d-rights, etc. copyright holders != creators, with a few exceptions. The actual staff are already paid. And their pay is not contingent upon overseas licensing; royalties for some perhaps, but not for production costs.

Well, the staff may have already been paid, but if the business is not doing well, they could be laid off in the future as the business cuts back. That means fewer productions too.

From some Japanese reports a few years ago (unfortunately, last I checked months ago, the links were taken down), the studios are pretty much just breaking even or taking a small loss per production (the sponsors make their money from related merchandise). The studios get their profits from overseas video licenses. What used to be icing on the cake is now just part of the cake itself.

DmonHiro wrote:

PS: I didn't say I don't buy anime DVDs. I said I don't buy R1 anime DVDs, out of principle. In Romania, it cost the same to import, wether it's an R1 or R2 (the shipping, I mean, as R2 are more expensive) I will NEVER support the R1 industry.

Well, many R1 fansubbers and R1 fans actually want to support their own R1 industry. So, with these C&Ds being mainly a R1 issue between the industry, fansubbers, and fans, I dunno why they should consider your position into account then if you don't have their well-being in mind. Laughing

Shadowlord wrote:
Draneor wrote:

Bottom line is watching anime on broadcast TV is not the same as watching a popular TV show on say ABC. Unlike ABC's programs, Most anime are not designed to earn money from broadcast TV but DVD sales.[/url]

OK, you may be right, but I'm 100% sure a lot of people in Japan record anime on TV and collect it that way and don't buy DVDs. Especially when it airs late at night.

Actually, it's the reverse. People who don't buy DVDs tend to be those of mainstream anime, which earn much of their money away from DVDs (like Sazae-san). It's especially the late-night anime people who buy DVDs (even if they also record it off TV) because those are otaku anime.

Draneor wrote:

I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just keep in mind that someone else is paying for the anime you watch. As such, you really don't have a voice in what gets made or how it is treated. If you like a show and want to see more of it, it's in your best interests to buy official products related to it. And if you don't buy anything, the industry really shouldn't care if you want to watch anime for free either. If you want your opinion to matter, you need to help the industry make money somehow.

That's actually the most sensible thing I've read so far. Cool

mythus wrote:

Gonzo is a prime example of what to do to sell your series. Stream them on 0day to others.

Well, with Gonzo being in financial trouble, getting bought, then halving their annual output, I don't think they're getting any love from the buyers, 0day or not. Laughing

DmonHiro wrote:

OK, maybe I went a little overboard with the "hope R1 collapses" comment, but I do hate R1s. The quality is most of the time pretty bad. There's a reason R2s have 2-3 episodes MAX per disk. It's all about the quality, and when you cram 4-6 episodes on a DVD and add an english dub as well, the quality is going to go straight to hell. That's why I don't minf paying an extra 10-20$ per disk, even if there are less episodes. I want quality, and the R1 industry is not poviding me with that.

R1 buyers tend to be more sensitive about price than quality though. Notice what happened to Bandai Visual - premium quality for premium price, like the Japanese releases. Didn't exactly work out well for them.

Maybe there should be a regular 4-5 ep per $20 DVD edition and a 2-3 ep per $40 DVD edition. But I don't think that's financially feasible, at least in R1. Maybe it's better to depend on your own regions' local businesses.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:14 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

...do you really understand how the DVD format works? Your standard single-layer DVD has something like 4.5 GB of available space, with that doubling to around 9 GB for a dual-layer disk. If you're trying to tell me that that sort of space can't support 6-7 properly-encoded episodes without sacrificing quality, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. I'd imagine that most R2 releases have a significant amount of wasted space on them, or else encode their episodes at a ridiculously unnecessary bitrate.

And like enurtsol said, I could give a damn less if the DVDs I buy have encoding flaws that are utterly imperceptible to my eyes. I'm more concerned about actually watching the show than wanking over its disk's technical merits. Last time I checked, every single DVD I own looks just fine to me.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
The best thing I think would be if these C&Ds at least came with a release date or announcement. The fact they come with "this doesn't mean we are licensing" is actually the annoying bit. I really want to see a release for Spice & Wolf, but there is no date/etc.
This is the end point. Less saying "No" and more saying "When".
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

...do you really understand how the DVD format works? Your standard single-layer DVD has something like 4.5 GB of available space, with that doubling to around 9 GB for a dual-layer disk. If you're trying to tell me that that sort of space can't support 6-7 properly-encoded episodes without sacrificing quality, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. I'd imagine that most R2 releases have a significant amount of wasted space on them, or else encode their episodes at a ridiculously unnecessary bitrate.

And like enurtsol said, I could give a damn less if the DVDs I buy have encoding flaws that are utterly imperceptible to my eyes. I'm more concerned about actually watching the show than wanking over its disk's technical merits. Last time I checked, every single DVD I own looks just fine to me.

It may look "fine" to you, but some of us have better eyesight, and like to see real quality.

Also, enurtsol is right. And if the R1 does not hold my interest, then screw it. Bring on the fansubs.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I'll grant you that future funding may become more limited for certain shows, most of the costs from smaller titles are recouped from TV deals.

Not exactly. As I mentioned before, the production committee generally pays money to place most anime on broadcast TV--they do not generally recoup their costs from it. The smaller titles only air because they're effectively infomercials to a dedicated fanbase. The problem is the kind of titles the dedicated fanbase in Japan likes aren't titles like Hell Girl.
configspace wrote:
You have that the other way around actually Very Happy I can tell you the local crowd could care less about the torrents and networks dedicated to english fansub since they have their own much faster and more accessible networks (without the annoyance of subtitles).

You might be surprised at the percentage of users with Japanese IP addresses on torrents and streaming video. They cannot all be ex-pats. I think it's fairly obvious YouTube, for example, has had an impact worldwide--including Japan. Mostly because it (and Nico Nico) are easier to use than certain arcane methods.

configspace wrote:

If anything, what the Japenese want--what we have and they don't--are cheap dvd box sets Cool I hear reverse importation of these occur and why shouldn't it? I can't fathom paying per R1-DVD anymore so nearly all of my collection are box sets, particularly the older, cheaper titles. With the prices they way they are for 2 (occasionally 3) eps per R2 dvd, I'm surprised they even have any sales to begin with lol.

The core market does not appear to want cheap boxsets if quality suffers. Keep in mind that all DVDs are more expensive in Japan--not just anime. In addition, special and limited editions almost always outsell cheaper, normal editions. Certainly, some of the population does want them, which is where the reverse importation comes into play. The sales model, however, is built around the core collectors market (and rentals). Cheaper R2 boxsets do eventually come out, but they are still expensive compared to R1 releases. Bottom line is the average Japanese DVD buyer is more concerned with quality than price compared to the average R1 buyer and DVD. It's a different culture, basically.

configspace wrote:
err.. I don't see how it's bad for the Japanese industry if the cost savings can be passed to us resulting in more sales and thus more titles licensed. Ones that they might never had if prices were high.

My understanding is license fees are down because sales are down and also there is less competition for titles that will sell. If sales could merit say $50,000+ an episode as the industry was rumored to be paying during the boom, it would be better for both parties, I think. In any case, contracts are rarely equally favorable to both parties. Certainly, I admit the situation is more complex than this. Regardless, lower license fees is an issue for the Japanese industry because it decreases its revenue (see how the percentage of GDH's revenue from overseas has declined in the past four years).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mythus wrote:

Gonzo is a prime example of what to do to sell your series. Stream them on 0day to others.

Well, with Gonzo being in financial trouble, getting bought, then halving their annual output, I don't think they're getting any love from the buyers, 0day or not. Laughing

Actually.. one of those 0day titles, Strike Witches, was one of their best ever sellers on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

It may look "fine" to you, but some of us have better eyesight, and like to see real quality.

Also, enurtsol is right. And if the R1 does not hold my interest, then screw it. Bring on the fansubs.

Ah, but as I mentioned, that goes both ways. You couldn't meddle when the R1 parties sort out their issues, particularly if you're depending on R1 fansubs/fandom.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mythus wrote:

Actually.. one of those 0day titles, Strike Witches, was one of their best ever sellers on DVD.

Well, true how ever it is, still wasn't enough for their bottom line. They're losing more than they're getting back. Confused
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Ah, but as I mentioned, that goes both ways. You couldn't meddle when the R1 parties sort out their issues, particularly if you're depending on R1 fansubs/fandom.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mythus wrote:

Well, true how ever it is, still wasn't enough for their bottom line. They're losing more than they're getting back. Confused

No one cares. GONZO is a terrible studio who haven't put out anything worthwhile since Gankutsuou, so we wouldn't mind seeing them go down the drain.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No one cares. GONZO is a terrible studio who haven't put out anything worthwhile since Gankutsuou, so we wouldn't mind seeing them go down the drain.

For what it's worth, I rather enjoyed Strike Witches, and wouldn't mind a second season. Though that Linebarrels or Iron blows...hard.
holybell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, on the positive side, I support the actions of Funimation on behalf of the Japanese animation companies. Koodos (sp?) to you, Funimation. On the other hand, as much as I would like to support the anime industry if any (of these) titles do get licensed, my policy of buying any anime DVD is if I have seen the entire series beforehand before deciding to buy them. Online streaming sites won't do if they are not provided elsewhere other than the U.S (Yes, I'm looking at you Hulu.com >_>). Imports, cable and watching the raws are out of the question.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11