• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Good Witch of the West GN 3-4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Never read the graphic novels, but the short anime version was pretty good, though at points the condenseness made me go wait, what? Though still good Smile
Ligene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Was debating about whenever or not to buy this (considering my friend didn't like the first volume all that much), glad to see it gets much better later on. And ditching the moe style, definitely.

I'll have to make sure to check it out now, always had a soft spot of fantasy titles. And the void Sugar Sugar Rune left is still there. Sad
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Having read the whole series I would consider these two plus the fifth volume to be the strongest in terms of art and story telling. The style gets a little too wispy later on and it becomes difficult at times telling characters apart. The story too suddenly gets compacted towards the end with some plot holes left open at the end, like the mangaka was trying to squeeze too much information from the novel into the manga before it ended. Still, it was a nice series and it'd be interesting to see what others think when the series reaches the last three volumes.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Has been added to my wishlist. Thanks for the review.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The Good Witch manga and novel series are among my top favorites. It's a shame that they're not as popular as they are. They deserve more attention.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
I also didn't like the first volume and wanted to drop buying this series but no I might reconsider.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
Well. I've got the novels, I've seen the anime... if it's as good as you say.. hrm!! [best get it before another bloody tokyopop series goes OOP]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Awesome review and I agree with most points, especially the improvement on the art. I'm a Goodwitch addict currently bugging Tokyopop on their forum demanding to know if they even plan on continuing with the novels. I want more of the novels god dammit! It's never fair when they give us something so good and then stop giving us more once we get addicted, just because it's not selling insanely popular, but then again that's how business goes.

So I shall wait, and check weekly for the announcement of the next manga and novel, even if it's never made.
johwee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Great review. This is one of my favorite series so it's good to see some exposure, especially because it's so unknown. Here's hoping for the rest of the novels and volume 7 someday...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
It's not looking good for the series. I just got Tokyopop's Summer catalogue for the store, and Good Witch isn't mentioned at all, graphic novel or regular novel, and it's not even listed in the backlist order section.

Woe to us niche fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1