• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore "I need more"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangalore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello just watched this Anime series and I devoured it like I rarely do. Is there any chance this series will get another season or how far ahead is the manga to the anime?

It reminded me alot about Berserk, but while Gatts is the same kind of tragic supermonster hero (ok, he is beyond monstrous) Claymore was kind of more multilevelled in how every individual Claymore had this sad past and sad future before her eyes. Well, and Claymore is not quite as nasty, evil and full of despair like Berserk is. There is at least some sparkle of hope in the storyline...

It just appeared the series ended pretty open though (again a parallel) this is kind of how the Berserk anime worked as well.

It just was finally another breathtaking fantasy anime to me after alot of ok but to much run of the mill stuff that was nicely narrated and wellmade but did not make much of an impression beyond that (Scrapped Princess, Uruk Aegis (sp?), Full metal Alchimist )

I guess the anime is pretty much too young to make a guess about a continuation, but I figured people probably would know what's going on in the mangas...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Theres nothing to confirm or deny. I'm guessing we won't see anything until after Madhouse finishes Black Lagoon 3 sometime next year. In the meantime read the manga it goes beyond the point the series ended.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm under the impression Madhouse has multiple teams and they can manage more than one show at once, although I can only back that up with "I heard that somewhere and I think that's how all studios operate, right?"

Claymore is a light of hope in this era desolate of violent action fluff. I really hope they make more shows like this. At the same time though, I wouldn't say this is as good as Berserk as a story. I think the way they executed the material in the series often made characters too juvenile and neglected to really give a sense of atmosphere. Berserk had a much more developed literary side to it and I think it owes this to the already quite excellent source material and that creator's heavy involvement in the anime's production and his input for Susumu Hirasawa's musical score.

But you know what, I'd watch more Claymore all the same because I rarely find that a show can even manage to just make interesting and gore-tastic fight scenes. In and of itself it's time well spent, I just wouldn't put it on the best anime of all time list or anything.
mangalore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm certainly a big fan of Berserk though I always find it hard to compare stories. For me Claymore works just as much as Berserk. The character building might not be as much, but the amount of variety achieved just with the various Claymore characters and their respective quirks and problems is very nice because it deals with how broken you have to be to choose such a life voluntarily (which most Claymores seems to have done).

Somehow I have a thing for serious that if they display violence they do not sugarcoat it (I also like 12 Kingdoms or Guardian of the Sacred Spirit but imo the goal of those series is distinctively different). That's why I also love Black Lagoon as well because it kind of deals with the fact how fucked up your life must be to be a gunho action hero (aka Revy).

Anyway I read on Wiki that the last two episodes of the Anime differ from the Manga. I hope they didn't do that because there won't be any more of it.
ZeroAE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The last 2 episodes differ from the manga because at the time of production the anime was getting made faster then the manga was getting produced...

I'm sure they'll make another season..but you'll probably have to wait a while so that the manga has a lot more volumes out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Plus the changes are not that drastic, anyway. It won't take much to get the story "back on track" with the manga.

Anyway, I would be in absolute anime heaven if we ended up with dualing Black Lagoon and Claymore sequels next year. Shocked But I'd rather have them wait on Claymore to give the manga more of a lead before adapting more material.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the last two episodes of the anime should have been cut out and they should have ended the anime the way chapter 61 ended. If I remember correctly chapter 61 was out before the last two episodes. I don't think the spoiler[ time skip chapters] were out yet, so can't have that. I'll freely admit that that ending would irritate me, but I'd prefer that over what we got instead. The last couple of episodes just feel...wrong.
As for a second season, it's doubtful we'll see it soon, at least, if it wants to stay consistent with the manga. First 26 episodes roughly covered the first 60 chapters. There's only been 25 (29 if you count the extra scenes or whatever the deuce they're called) more released since. And as much as a like Claymore (the story is pretty entertain, as with the fights) I think the story is being told poorly. Good concepts and everything, just the plot progression needs to be refined a bit more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1