• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara's Japanese BDs to Include English Dub/Sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Durarararararararararararara, but not quite enough to pay import prices (The ending could have been better. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it definitely could have been stronger. They really had to rush to wrap everything up, and they forgot about some stuff in the process). I do think that it is worth buying, but not for the billions of dollars for getting it from japan. I wouldn't pay more than $120 total for a set with those kinds of extras.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Durarararararararararararara, but not quite enough to pay import prices (The ending could have been better. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it definitely could have been stronger. They really had to rush to wrap everything up, and they forgot about some stuff in the process). I do think that it is worth buying, but not for the billions of dollars for getting it from japan. I wouldn't pay more than $120 total for a set with those kinds of extras.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
The ending could have been better. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it definitely could have been stronger. They really had to rush to wrap everything up, and they forgot about some stuff in the process.

Well, the thing is.... it wasn't wrapping everything up. The show is based on an ongoing series of novels and it didn't attempt to conclude the entire story, it just wrapped up the storyline that the last third or so of the series had been focusing on. I haven't heard anything to indicate the anime changed anything significant or removed anything major from the final episodes. What did they "forget"? It was probably just parts of the storyline that get continued in future novels.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
On a different note, after the blu-ray rereleases of Baccano and Read or Die have been sold at semi-reasonable prices, why has Aniplex suddenly decided that DRRR must be sold at several times the price of one of those sets? Would not the English-speaking fans who will pay hundreds for DRRR now would have paid hundreds for Baccano then (as the dub is clearly meant to cater to "us")?

Simple, AoA hasn't released an "American version" for "us" yet and you're unreasonably nitpicking a product that isn't intended to cater to "us."
Ah, the forum's generally grammatically-challenged faux-intellectual. It's been a while since we've clashed, but it looks like you're doing well, still raining down haughty judgment and condescension upon other forum denizens from "on high". Wink

Would you kindly tell me then, oh great purveyor of anime knowledge, for whom the English dub on these pricey blu-rays is intended? Perhaps your vituperative and ill-worded posts are manifestations of your "genius", and I can put up with some heckling to get answers, so if you could be troubled to reach down from your lofty perch and bestow a modicum of your knowledge upon the "plebes" of the forums I'd appreciate it.

The dub clearly isn't for the Japanese, unless I've truly missed something, and it isn't for the general rabid anime fan, who despises dubs and whose kind largely populate the ANN forum, so it must be meant for the online anime minority which imports Japanese goods at high prices and actually likes dubs (gasp). I'm firmly in this minority, yet this product fails to cater to me. Thus I question.

Quote:
And like I said in the edit to my previous post, the DRRR set is already "more opulent" than KnK's. KnK had the show itself, English subs and a booklet. This has the same, plus three drama CDs, plus a dub.
Funny, I get the feeling that most people here on ANN would consider the dub to be a tick against the show. As was pointed--by ANN itself--back when Fate/Zero debuted here, this forum is strong with the weeaboos. Anyhow, until it is confirmed that DRRR will come in a box at least as awesomely sueded and lovingly crafted as the Kara no Kyoukai box was, it is automatically less opulent.

Did you feel the KnK box? If so, then you also cannot abide by cheap-o cardboard packaging, and for this price, you shouldn't have to. Laughing Opulence is more about presentation than content, form over function.

I feel I should be seeing from Aniplex a release so grand as so I have to buy it, a truly momentous and worthy endeavor from the people who made the product. Instead I'm seeing something that Funimation could produce and publish at a much lower cost. That doesn't inspire me here.

DRRR wasn't the greatest show on Earth (neither was the Ringling Bros, but I digress) but it deserves more than this for its limited edition blu-ray release.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that this release means we might get a second season soon, though.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, the forum's generally grammatically-challenged faux-intellectual. It's been a while since we've clashed, but it looks like you're doing well, still raining down haughty judgment and condescension upon other forum denizens from "on high".

I never know how to properly deal with direct insults on this forum. Whenever I attempt to address them I end up with mods on my butt. It must be nice to able to insult me at will.

Quote:
Would you kindly tell me then, oh great purveyor of anime knowledge, for whom the English dub on these pricey blu-rays is intended?

You've already concluded this release isn't for "us" and have been trying to compare this release to "American versions" of other BD collections. You have already decided who this product is for in every one of your post.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess its not weird that the Japanese bd has dubs but how is the Japanese bd not actually intended for America?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

The dub clearly isn't for the Japanese, unless I've truly missed something, and it isn't for the general rabid anime fan, who despises dubs and whose kind largely populate the ANN forum, so it must be meant for the online anime minority which imports Japanese goods at high prices and actually likes dubs (gasp). I'm firmly in this minority, yet this product fails to cater to me. Thus I question.

Again, a number of Japanese sets have dubs and only two so far have had a U.S. release. There is at least a small portion of Japanese fans that like Japanese dubs, so that would be a plus for them, at virtually no extra cost for the Japanese producers.

Quote:
Funny, I get the feeling that most people here on ANN would consider the dub to be a tick against the show. As was pointed--by ANN itself--back when Fate/Zero debuted here, this forum is strong with the weeaboos.

Irrelevent. It's something the KnK set didn't have and there are clearly people who want. And its especially silly to argue that it somehow doesn't count after what you said above.

Quote:
Anyhow, until it is confirmed that DRRR will come in a box at least as awesomely sueded and lovingly crafted as the Kara no Kyoukai box was, it is automatically less opulent.

Did you feel the KnK box? If so, then you also cannot abide by cheap-o cardboard packaging, and for this price, you shouldn't have to. Laughing Opulence is more about presentation than content, form over function.

I didn't like what I saw of the box (the size and shape makes it completely impossible to put on a shelf and it just generally didn't impress from what I saw of it, though I am aware that everyone who bought it seemed quite pleased with it), which made it easier to pass up. So no, I haven't felt it. On the other hand, I *have* felt my Toradora BD set and its certainly far from cheap.

And since we have absolutely no idea what kind of packaging it will use, its more than a bit premature to use that as a point of complaint. And again, this is drastically cheaper than the KnK set so if you think higher price means it needs better packaging, Durarara actually "should" have less impressive packaging than KnK.

JustinGallimore wrote:
I guess its not weird that the Japanese bd has dubs but how is the Japanese bd not actually intended for America?

Unless it has the kind of release KnK and Fate/Zero had, its not intended for American consumers because its a Japanese Blu-Ray release.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
If I'm mistaken, please correct me, but I think a japanese release with an english dub would use their own voice-actors, rather than the typical US VA's. If so, I can fantasize they'll use the same voices they did for, what was it, episode 13? The special between the two halves? Just dub the whole show like that, please.

I don't think they would, but I can hope. I'd import it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
If I'm mistaken, please correct me, but I think a japanese release with an english dub would use their own voice-actors, rather than the typical US VA's. If so, I can fantasize they'll use the same voices they did for, what was it, episode 13? The special between the two halves? Just dub the whole show like that, please.

Japanese releases with English dubs use the dubs that were used for the R1 release. Using the R1 dub costs them nothing. It would be insane to spend the money to create their own English dub.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Would you kindly tell me then, oh great purveyor of anime knowledge, for whom the English dub on these pricey blu-rays is intended?

Probably for the Japanese who would view (hear?) it as a curiosity or perhaps as a (poor) assist in learning English? Perhaps with the possibility of being able to use the same BD masters for a future US release. Currently, I view the DRRR!! BDs having the dub just like the My-HiME BD set and the Zeta-HiME BD set having Bandai's English dub.

Quote:
The dub clearly isn't for the Japanese, unless I've truly missed something, and it isn't for the general rabid anime fan, who despises dubs and whose kind largely populate the ANN forum, so it must be meant for the online anime minority which imports Japanese goods at high prices and actually likes dubs (gasp). I'm firmly in this minority, yet this product fails to cater to me.

It's not (yet?) catering to you. The Japanese Baccano! BD release had the English dub, but that set was not aimed at the US, either. Instead, the US got a release a few months afterwards at 25-30% of the price of the Japanese set. It was the same discs with new, cheaper packaging. Perhaps DRRR!! will be handled similarly, or if the US DVD sales were as underwhelming as someone was implying, then maybe it might not get a release over here.

Quote:
Funny, I get the feeling that most people here on ANN would consider the dub to be a tick against the show.

I don't mind if a dub is produced for a US release, but I don't want titles not to get released over here because companies feel that they can't support the costs of a dub (and I've seen a few people here on ANN express desires for that).

Quote:
As was pointed--by ANN itself--back when Fate/Zero debuted here, this forum is strong with the weeaboos. Anyhow, until it is confirmed that DRRR will come in a box at least as awesomely sueded and lovingly crafted as the Kara no Kyoukai box was, it is automatically less opulent.

I'll wait for more news about the DRRR!! set's packaging, but I'm likely to import it. I didn't import the R2 DVD release, because DRRR!! was a HD production, but I did buy the cheaper US sets in case it never got to Blu-ray. If Baccano!'s US price was $60-70, then maybe DRRR!! will get a $150 US release. That would conflict price-wise with the DVD release, though, so maybe not. I don't remember what the Japanese Baccano! set cost at the moment, although I did buy it.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

GokuMew2 wrote:

lem wrote:
With the drama cds included, a color booklet, everything on blu and all of it in one box, this sounds like it's going to be in the 20,000 to 30,000 y price range (260 to almost 400$). If it had a stronger 2nd half, I might be tempted to get the blu, but as it is, I'm more than satisfied with the 3 sets on dvd.

The set retails for 36750 yen, so closer to $500.

But remember that the TRSI prices for Aniplex imports are roughly equivalent to what the Amazon.jp discount prices are, so if Aniplex does an import release here, it should be around $350.

whatever the magic number is, paying retail price for a blu version of a first season I already have on dvd isn't going to happen for this particular show. If I was the intended audience, of which I'm obviously not (I'm just another baka gaijin posting here), then it'd probably have a different meaning and of course I'd be viewing it in a different context. As it is, it looked to be interesting before I bought it; I enjoyed Baccano!, and I liked the character designs so I decided to give it a shot. At the end of the day I ended up finding the characters Shizuo and Izaya worth the price of admission. They had a lot of fun with what Shizuo was capable of, and as a result I did too. And Izaya, he's great as an S.O.B. kinda character that you just have fun hatin' on.Very Happy

GokuMew2 wrote:
I'm hoping that this release means we might get a second season soon, though.

if a 2nd season is ever made available for pre-order... I would definitely like to see where they take it spoiler[ if it's more of the younger characters and the color gang stuff ] I'll pass.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
I so want this thing whether Aniplex USA brings this over or not. This is a show I really wish had a second season, and good sales for the Blu-ray box can make it happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Out of plane unadulterated curiosity, I have a question. Why does the Japanese pricing system irk people (foreign fans) so much? Is it because they are just not used to paying such large amounts for BDs/DVDs?

Because if the Japanese can afford it, there's no reason anybody else can't... Unless for some reason the people living in Japan just earn more or have a lower cost of living (which is obviously not the case...).
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Out of plane unadulterated curiosity, I have a question. Why does the Japanese pricing system irk people (foreign fans) so much? Is it because they are just not used to paying such large amounts for BDs/DVDs?

Because if the Japanese can afford it, there's no reason anybody else can't... Unless for some reason the people living in Japan just earn more or have a lower cost of living (which is obviously not the case...).

Its a sense of entitlement by western fans. I'm not sure where it came from, but in the past five or so years it has become really really annoyingly prevalent. I remember back in the day when we paid $35 for two episodes of Ranma 1/2, dub only, on magnetic tape in a huge plastic cassette. We also walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways.

And we liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6