Forum - View topic
PR: Sentai Filmworks Licenses "Psychic Squad"




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The American Average



Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 630
Location: Jehuty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
No dub? well can't always get what you want
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
outlawwolf



Joined: 25 Dec 2004
Posts: 645
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21326
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?


The bolded part is your answer. Dubbing a 52-episode series would be quite expensive (no doubt that's why another Sentai title like Ghost Sweeper Mikami is also sub-only). However, they are still interested in reaching as wide an audience as possible even with the disadvantage of a sub-only release. Purists might thrill to the Zettai Karen Children title, but a more general potential buyer likely won't. Sentai is no doubt betting that they'll attract more buyers with "Psychic Squad" as a title than they will lose from purists put off by the title change and they're probably right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2556
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The bolded part is your answer. Dubbing a 52-episode series would be quite expensive (no doubt that's why another Sentai title like Ghost Sweeper Mikami is also sub-only).


With Ghost Sweeper Mikami it's also because the M&E tracks are no longer available. This is why when Manga had the movie, they produced new music & sound effects for that dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tylerr



Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 475
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
Meh series isn't all that great, tried to watch it awhile back and only got through about 5 episodes before i doped it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?

Zombie ADV not knowing thier arse from a hole in the ground?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21326
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:31 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?

Zombie ADV not knowing thier arse from a hole in the ground?


Oh good, another poster who knows shit about shit! Yeah, Zombie ADV is really struggling these days due to their lack of business savvy. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mdreura



Joined: 04 Nov 2010
Posts: 106
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh good, another poster who knows shit about shit! Yeah, Zombie ADV is really struggling these days due to their lack of business savvy. Rolling Eyes


Are you 12? If you think that profanity and emoticons Rolling Eyes make you look like a more sophisticated industry expert... Surprise! Not so much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?

Zombie ADV not knowing thier arse from a hole in the ground?


Oh good, another poster who knows shit about shit! Yeah, Zombie ADV is really struggling these days due to their lack of business savvy. Rolling Eyes

Well, no. They kinda don't, the only reason they still exist is the explotiation of Texas Tax law.

So they're business savy, sure. But anime wise, they can't business out of a wet paper bag that's on fire and already open.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21326
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
outlawwolf wrote:
If they aren't going to dub it, why bother changing the title? A changed title basically means they are trying to reach for a wider audience but not judging it means they are trying to play to the purist crowd (or not enough money in the budget/hope for profit in the series), so what's going on here?

Zombie ADV not knowing thier arse from a hole in the ground?


Oh good, another poster who knows shit about shit! Yeah, Zombie ADV is really struggling these days due to their lack of business savvy. Rolling Eyes

Well, no. They kinda don't, the only reason they still exist is the explotiation of Texas Tax law.

So they're business savy, sure. But anime wise, they can't business out of a wet paper bag that's on fire and already open.


I have no idea what point you are trying to make - nor, I suspect, do you. Sentai is one of the few R1 distribs that is a going concern these days. Ascribing that to an exploitation of Texas tax law is just your way of communicating that you have zero idea what you are talking about. They are a going concern because they are licensing and marketing anime that people are buying. They are a going concern because they understand changing a title to "Psychic Squad" will, in all likelihood, put more money in their pocket than sticking with Zettai Karen Children. But yeah, I guess part of the purpose of this forum is to allow posters like you who have no business knowledge or sense to spout nonsense, so have at it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Well, no. They kinda don't, the only reason they still exist is the explotiation of Texas Tax law.

So they're business savy, sure. But anime wise, they can't business out of a wet paper bag that's on fire and already open.

I think you are presenting evidence to undermine your argument rather than support it. The need to get out from under the Sojitz deal suggests a lack of business savvy when signing the Sojitz deal, and their performance since they restructured suggests that they have an effective understanding of the North American anime market.

While its obviously the kind of thing that someone is going to complain about in forums, the idea that any appreciable number of people who actually would have bought it under the Japanese title would refuse to buy it under a different title is an awfully strained assumption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure this is going to be ignored as evidence but It certainly is a good reason why I didn't start buying [s]Karin[/s] Chibi Vampire.
One sounds like a story about a girl, the other sounds like fun times with Chris Hansen.

Here, Psychic Squad sounds like an adaptation title when nothing of the sort is being done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Meh series isn't all that great, tried to watch it awhile back and only got through about 5 episodes before i doped it.


Maybe since it's not that great of a series Sentai decided it was only good enough to a sub release. I've only heard of this series because of the license and the complaints about the name have sparked my interest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mad mac



Joined: 04 Jul 2009
Posts: 186
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meh series isn't all that great, tried to watch it awhile back and only got through about 5 episodes before i doped it.


The early episodes are pretty underwhelming (The first one is almost pure filler) but it picks up quite a bit later on. They also pushed the central story hook of the series to episode 26, (In the manga, it's part of the first storyline.) which makes a certain amount of sense in terms of pacing but it means you don't get what the series is really about unless you stick with it.

I do like the manga better, though. Among other things they had to really tone it down in places so it could air in a kids show timeslot.

Quote:
Maybe since it's not that great of a series Sentai decided it was only good enough to a sub release. I've only heard of this series because of the license and the complaints about the name have sparked my interest.


It's a good show! Very underrated I think. Improves a lot as it goes along, too. I'd kill for a second season covering the post timeskip material.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kill-chan



Joined: 19 Nov 2008
Posts: 131
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
this series is 52 eps long ( + the useless OVA)...
I wonder what format they'll choose to release it ( 13x4 , 26x2 , 52x1 etc)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group