• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 1 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Limited episode count and high price of entry make the show inaccessible to an audience unwilling to shell out.

Sums it up for me. I'd love to spend money on this, and I have with Aniplex in the past, but this one the bar is set too high.

Mark Gosdin
macloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
It'd have been nice if they'd charged $100 for the complete series in one box with no frills, but that isn't how their particular business model operates, so we all get to wait.

It'd probubly also be the only way it'd get a UK release.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my butt is still recuperating from the violation that Aniplex laid on me when I pre-ordered all three installments, but Zac's review reminds me why, ultimately, I feel it will be totally worth it.
Fifth B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought I was done abusing my bank accounts this month. Guess I was wrong. Buying this thing as I speak!
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
But you're paying for a lot more than just the episodes. You're getting a lot of goodies, as well.

Some of us only want to pay for the episodes, and at a reasonable price to boot. I understand Aniplex's strategy here, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll wait until they release a complete twelve-episode set on BD at a reasonable price. If they don't want to do that, that's their choice, just as it's my choice not to buy it. No twelve-episode series on BD should ever cost more than $100. That's still over $8/episode and two to four times what I'm usually willing to pay for most series. If Japanese pricing is the future for R1, it will drive the non-collectors like me out of the anime marketplace.

I'm still annoyed that Aniplex hasn't made any effort to distribute Nodame Cantabile in R1. Their machinations with Madoka don't make me like them any better.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
[Mod Edit: You can disagree with people, but do so with respect at least and without the prejudicial comments. - Keonyn]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
But you're paying for a lot more than just the episodes. You're getting a lot of goodies, as well.

Some of us only want to pay for the episodes, and at a reasonable price to boot. I understand Aniplex's strategy here, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'll wait until they release a complete twelve-episode set on BD at a reasonable price. If they don't want to do that, that's their choice, just as it's my choice not to buy it. No twelve-episode series on BD should ever cost more than $100. That's still over $8/episode and two to four times what I'm usually willing to pay for most series. If Japanese pricing is the future for R1, it will drive the non-collectors like me out of the anime marketplace.

I'm still annoyed that Aniplex hasn't made any effort to distribute Nodame Cantabile in R1. Their machinations with Madoka don't make me like them any better.

It really depends on where you buy it from i have seen preorder prices as low as 60-80 dollars per volume at right stuf's store. I plan on ordering just the first volume in limited edition and buying the rest on regular editions.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/LOdLA=0-msF9hDuHwG/browse/item/93314/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/LOdLA=0-msF9hDuHwG/browse/item/93315/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/LOdLA=0-msF9hDuHwG/browse/item/93318/4/0/0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat interested in seeing this now, but there's no way I'm shelling out so much money for four episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Quote:
Limited episode count and high price of entry make the show inaccessible to an audience unwilling to shell out.

Sums it up for me. I'd love to spend money on this, and I have with Aniplex in the past, but this one the bar is set too high.

Mark Gosdin

yuna49 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
MSRP may be $95, but it's really $75, considering you can only get it from RightStuf or the official site, and both places have it marked down.
If you go for just the regular DVD edition, it's $30, and $40 for the Blu-ray only.

Good review, but admittedly, I'm perturbed by how it makes it seem like the LE is the only version of the show that is being made available (which, like most LEs, is aimed at the big fans of the show). As Dorcas_Aurelia pointed out, there are normal-priced regular versions for people that don't want all the bells-and-whistles. The review's not disingenuous in this regard, but it is misleading…

As for Aniplex and Nodame Cantabile, you might be better off taking that up with Sony Music/Home Entertainment, who probably have more a hold on the license than Aniplex in R1. And let's be honest, Madoka Magica is the bigger and hotter of the two series by a mile--they're going to focus on that before they ever touch NC.

Last edited by Sam Murai on Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not exactly like withg Garden of Sinners where there was no other options aside from PSN rentals, this time they did make it available for the non-LE-savvy crowd. They're still pricier than you're average series from other companies, but they do exist.

That being said, I'm extremely happy to read what Zac had to say about the packaging, since that's what I was the most anxious about. Can't wait to get my copy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
What sort of deal did you make with the devil and/or Kyubey to get this so early? I am currently trying to avoid going to England release week, because I want this so much.

I think Madoka is a "post-moe" show, which is what I call a show that combines moe marketability with things like good writing, character development and actual plot. I feel that as moe fades into the past, shows like this will be the next big thing.

The third episode is what sold it to me, where the show transitions from sinister Nanoha mode to "this will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it" mode. And quite honestly, Nanoha is nothing like Madoka. Nanoha was Shinbo's attempt to the win the coveted Most Gratuitous Use of Third Grade Nipples in a Serious Screenplay award. Nanoha is not even a deconstruction of the magical girl, it's a normal magical girl story with more drama that usual. Madoka has this horrible tension to it, where every scene extrudes this vague sense of calamity.

Anyway, I have to say this review is spot on (I was surprised too, since I though Zac would hate this show for some reason) and not just because I like the show. I think Madoka does have some flaws in it's storytelling (mostly at the end) and I was more forgiving of the animation, but it is the tone that reigns supreme in the first episodes, and that review describes the tone the way I wish I could have. I will be looking forward to reviews of the next two releases.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, wasn't Zac's review of this while it was airing basically a blunt dismissal along the lines of "otaku targeted moe tripe with a predictable story that's been done before"
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
I'm curious, wasn't Zac's review of this while it was airing basically a blunt dismissal along the lines of "otaku targeted moe tripe with a predictable story that's been done before"

After which episode was that comment made?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

No twelve-episode series on BD should ever cost more than $100.

The Regular Edition BDs add up to $120 for the whole series.

I'm glad you're enjoying Madoka, Zac. I knew you'd like it once you got past the first episode. Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Trustilotous wrote:
Panon wrote:

After which episode was that comment made?

That probably refers to his review of episode one in his section of the Winter 2011 Preview Guide.

The nearest line to that in the review is as follows:

Zac Bertschy wrote:
In terms of plot, this is no different from your standard “late night magical girl show” where there's obnoxious loli fanservice in the opening credits (although surprisingly none in the episode itself) and the characters are mostly pasted-together moe archetypes.

Perhaps upon reconsideration or in a large context, his opinion became different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30