• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga to Enter Final Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
how long do u guys think the final arc is gonna be ?? im hoping that its pretty long lol i like bleach the soul society arc was the best
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so Bleach and Naruto are both ending huh. Looks like I picked up Bleach at just the right time, I started watching the anime last week. Feels like an era in anime history is coming to a close =)
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

Anyway, I get that some people aren't following these series for all 10+ of the years that they're on the shelves, but honestly for me anyway, after a while I start to desire closure, expedient closure, not that meandering milk till it's dry closure. It's get to the point where I stop caring, which is unfortunate for many of these long running stories that had great starts, but not at all unexpected given the history of these kind of serials.

Kakoishii, I'm assuming you're not a big fan of American TV shows, 'because "milking it 'till its dry" seems to be the standard in that industry. Razz

Throwing my 2 cents in about Bleach and making this thread even longer: The only thing I really want to see in the final arc is Isshin's backstory. A whole bunch of other characters and plot points being settled would be nice (what happened to Nell, for example) but my hopes with Bleach are never high.

Kubo, if you're looking here for vocational advice, I think you'd make an awesome fashion illustrator! Good luck!

Edited to add: Teriaki Terrier, the reason I still follow Bleach is because I have a burning desire to see a decent conclusion for certain characters, such as Isshin, Urahara, Ryuken and Uryuu (maybe Orihime as well). I also actually enjoy the humor/omakes/parodies (most of the time, anyway).
bunnyhopper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
about damn time someone stood up to Kubo and finally refused to eat his ****
selchis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 am Reply with quote
bunnyhopper wrote:

This shit is much better than your conversations. And nobody is forcing you to watch or to read Bleach.

The public around Bleach is shit (i don't say fans. Because it's not fans. It's haters.). People hating Bleach are always trying to spoil mood to the fans. And this the one and only Bleach's problem
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
selchis wrote:
bunnyhopper wrote:

This shit is much better than your conversations. And nobody is forcing you to watch or to read Bleach.

He never said that he still reads or watches Bleach. People can still dislike something even when they've stopped following it.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, because I vaguely remember a manga artist remarking that if Bleach, Naruto or One Piece were to end it could have serious effects on the manga industry. I recall Ken Akamatsu saying that, but I very well could be wrong. I wonder if ending those series would, indeed, have a serious influence on subscribership to Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan. If I'm not mistaken, this did occur when Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z ended as a series. However, it might also provide space for the next overarching series to take over, so I'm not sure if I should yet be overly concerned from an economic standpoint. When one thing goes away, people always have the opportunity to spend their newly liberated money on something else.
Trick5ter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
After spending a good 45 minutes reading this entire post and having been attached to Bleach for a third of my life, I felt like I should contribute my 2 cents.

I'll never forget the first day I discovered Bleach. After having grown up playing Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! and watching the beginning of what was then Toonami, Dragonball Z being my very first non-collectables anime to get into, my progression only seems natural. Being a huge Star Wars graphic novels fan led me to discover series like Elf Quest and Usagi Yojimbo but not soon after I was introduced to Ranma 1/2 and my life changed. Ranma was the first manga series I ever read besides the stories of that oh-so-famous Rabbit Samurai. A friend of mine interested in Japanese from a very young age brought Ranma to my attention and in the same vein, in 2004 he introduced me to Bleach.

The whole reason I wanted to read Bleach Vol 1 anyways wa to figure out what the hell was up with the title. Bleach, really? Is it about a bunch of janitors or something? Keep in mind my only introduction to anime from this point was DBZ, SM, YYH, Tenchi-Muyo, DB, YDM, Pokemon; pretty much only what was on Cartoon Network or the WB as before we had lightning fast internet no one had really heard of a site where you could watch shows from any part of the world. But I digress, point being I had no idea what a 'battle-anime' was. Boy was a (expletive) surprised when I found out Bleach was a lot like Dragon Ball Z with swords. Now don't go attacking I'm just looking at this from the standpoint of people with different powers fighting eachother, which of course could be said for anything ranging from Marvel to science fiction to even going so far back as Brothers Grimm and their inspiration for their cautionary yarns, the very first fairy tales.

Shortly after starting Bleach my friend again came to me with yet another series to try, Naruto. Hooked, line and sinker, and I only started reading the manga during the Zabuza arc. I continued reading more and more manga and started watching anime. I started watching Bleach when I was told that you could watch anime with subtitles, because all of my Japanese-learning friends HATED dubs, as I now do lol. Anyways, started watching Bleach in Japanese probably about halfway through the Rescue Rukia arc after only watching about, maybe, 8 episodes from the very beginning. After getting to about 3/4 of the way through the Soul Society arc in the manga I decided I wanted to watch it in action as well. Couldn't have been happier and in that same year Bleach became my ritual followed shortly by Naruto.

Looking back now I can't very well recall on what specific day those both used to come out on before they changed (possibly multiple times) but I do remember those were Bleach and Naruto days and no matter what I was doing I would always make sure to see the next episode. During these last almost 8 years there have been several times where lack of internet connection has forced me to take a resentful hiatus from two of my favorite things to do, but I've always popped back. At one point I even stopped watching Naruto for 2 arcs just so I could go back and catch up on them. And honestly I haven't seen probably 1 or 2 of Bleach's fillers as I would just get dissapointed being able to tell 'oh yeah, this isn't a big deal.'

BUT

There is one simple phrase that Always had me, and continues to entice me into, coming back for more, and if you have ever been a fan of anything as epic as this series you'll recognize it immediately,"Only a few more weeks until we get back to the Main Story." Regardless of how crappy I think the shows got or how terrible the fillers I was always beaming everytime I read that statement. It's inspired in me thedesire to want to learn more about these fascinating worlds that came from some dude's head! It's enchanted me to the point that as I read the opening replies of this post my heart sank because I feel like I'm losing some of my best friends. As I've not been able to strongly connect with anyone over anime ever since I graduated high school in 2006 and have absolutely no idea what happened to the Japanese 3 & 4 kids who opened my eyes to this fantastical new world, Bleach and Naruto have been there for me. It's my own personal heaven every Tuesday and Thursday when I either stay up till early in the morning the night before, or get off work to rush home to see the next animated chapter of these amazing sagas. As a book lover back in my elementary and high school days reading such series as The Forgotten Realms, The Sword of Shannara, The Left Behind novels, The Dark Tower, Enders Game, Animorphs, The Rose of the Prophet, The Darksword Trilogy, The Wheel of Time, the Redwall books, and countless others, anime has rooted itself deep into my being as I'm sure it has into many of yours.

Now take into consideration that I've had 2 years at university, a DJ, Graphic Designer, painter, and more, and that I'm 24 years of age and you'll come to understand that I lead an extremely busy life, of which anime is but a minute portion. I only mean to end in saying that almost 150 anime series later and 2 ongoing since my humble beginnings, every season I look forward to the prospect of finding another epic, which imo right now (maybe not long run) is Fairy Tail. Each season however, though I certainly find gems here and there I can always fall back on my tried and true friends Ichigo, Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, Orihime, Chad, Rukia, Kakashi, and all the other characters from either universe, and with heavy heart (though not quite that melodramatic) I'll be sad to bid them adieu. I don't believe I'll find anything as episodically epic again but I'm sure gonna try.

Maybe in another 8 years I'll look back on this all and laugh as I wait for the newest episodes of the latest epic sagas to be posted.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Bell02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first started reading bleach! Word around the net was that a manga was going to start from a supposed "cool" and "niche" up and coming mangaka of the cancelled Zombie Poweder... so I checked it out when it premiered (in Jump) and liked it.

dtm42 wrote:
Oh, I hated what Bleach became. Honestly, the Manga was (and still is) awful, and the Anime dragged everything out further and inserted abominable attempts at humour. Kubo admitted to not having an ounce of a plan and just making up stuff as he went along. Basically, in the beginning he had a couple of good (though hardly original) ideas, and then heaped on energy and heart. That's why people like myself got into it. But even the Rescue Rukia arc was inconsistent, and that was the high point of the entire story. If we ignore Anime- and movie-only fillers the story seems to hold up for a while after that, but it didn't really. The Espada's backstories were poorly handled (too many got their backstories told as they were dying, an incompetent way of doing it). Aizen was quite simply broken. Combatant strengths were wildly inconsistent; spoiler[Kenpachi drew against Shikai Ichigo but defeated Nnoitra, who was higher-ranked than Grimmjow, a guy whom Bankai Ichigo with Hollow Mask barely defeated.] Does. Not. Compute. The humour was cringe-inducing, though how much was the fault of the Manga and how much was the fault of the Anime I don't know. The Deicide chapters were so poorly done and drawn out they became a (long-) running joke. In the Anime, i took as long to rescue Inoue as the Saiyan, Frieza and Cell Sagas put together. Groan. And the show stopped having a heart and was just focused on poorly-animated battles.

Sigh. I used to love Bleach. It used to be good. Then it just got dumb and lost its way. When our pet is fatally injured we put it down to stop it suffering any longer. But simple greed and an author who merely lucked onto popularity and couldn't back it up kept this title going long after the tumour should have killed it. It's been a zombie since before the final battle with Aizen. Time to put it to rest.

Except of course, this new arc will probably take up a year or two. How much more will this nightmare last?

This is really spot on (mostly), but I think I will defend Bleach a bit because the first season was more original than you gave it credit. It had archetypes and cleches, but it used them in different ways:

The series was written more like a Horror manga with Hallow that could appear anywhere at any time, with terrifying designs, and a cast of side un-powered characters to have as potential victim roles. I've read a lot of shonen, but it was the first horror shonen/kid's manga I've read. (Most are seinen for obvious reasons)

It also took a very new and westernized approach to Shinigami, basically turning them from looking like demons and Boton from Yuyu hakusho (which was newish at the time... to me it felt like the idea was from uruseii yatsura, and other series that did similar cutification of supposedly scary things that was popular at the time), putting them in black coat kimono and making them protagonist. There were little details to make the universe feel like a world with the purification of demons, explanation of hell and penitence, the shinigami lore, and the hallow lore.

It also had that added western rocker and urban style loo which made it an eye catch (Which was trendy at the time). It also seemed to have start that western occultism fad in the 2000s.

Still I agree, after that first arc it fell hard! Going off to save Rukia was forgivable... but the soul society arc basically changed the series into a Samurai Drama... which is probably tied with Demon fighting Monk and Ninja for most common Manga themes (if it doesn't beat them, there are definitely more live action tales as well to make going into a samurai drama feel like it's been there done that). From then on it took way too long, and it didn't feel as perplexing as it felt it wanted to be. Having Aizen as the secret true boss felt like it was pulled out of a hat and so many characters were introduced, all with interesting designs and personalities, but zero with good story or something to back them up for not feeling like more than an archetype.

It also fell back on Dragonball's pitfalls where only the main character would win, side characters became useless (I feel that kubo changes at least this), and everything is solved with a fight, even when it didn't seem like it should. (It also felt like non-stop excuses to fight, non-stop fighting turned me off in Bleach, and now that I look back on it, it bugs me that it abuses the "Super" effect: never mind every arc, every fight Ichigo got a new form. It's silly at this point)

But I thought the first arc was an original take on Shonen Manga.
occkid1989

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
so that is it of Bleach. Does anyone really want to know what is really going to happen to Bleach, well lets just say this they got the name right for the 3rd. movie. Because that is what really going to happen to Bleach it is going to fade to black and everyone is going to forget all about Ichigo Kurosaki and everyone else in Bleach. Crying or Very sad Anime cry Sad
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Worse things have happened to better manga.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I would disagree that people forget about series when they end. I've actually been having this conversation with a lot of Star Trek fans lately. Star Trek survived for years without any real major official media presence. With the proposal for a sequel to the reboot film on the horizon, fans are debating what should be done with the series and whether it would actually loose its popularity if it were to end.

When a new version of something is made many years later, it often divides the fanbase. Series will always find new people to discover them. Some individuals are just watching Dragon Ball Z for the first time. Some of the great anime epics from the 1970s are being rediscovered. I don't believe that Bleach's conclusion is the end of its popularity or success.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
If it's ending I might pick it up. I rather liked Bleach from the first one or two volumes I had read.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think Bleach gets too much negativity towards the later half, sure its far from perfect, but pretty much ALL long running comics & manga go down hill. Yes Bleach's fall was more noticeable then others, but its still a sold & enjoyable manga overall, at least in my book. But hey, if people wanna bash or complain about it, let em. I'll still enjoy it all the same.

But yeah, admitingly glad it & Naruto are ending, just for the hope that fans of both will stop overly complaining &/or praising. Now if only One Piece would end as well , lol *shot repeatedly by rabid One Piece fans*

But yeah, also glad VIZ is doing a speed-up of the manga in the states so I can finally read the rest of the Battle with Aizen and the Fullbring arc!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
recent i start watch Naruto Shippuden again. Skip to 245, Naruto is bad as people said. lol They must not watch the anime, just complain about it for no season.

4th hokage is godlike. It's much much better than the beginning of Naruto.

I think I might go back and finish Bleach. I believe people just make up stuffs on how bad is Bleach.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12