• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Mega Matters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

Edit (again):
Just for the record, Lilly's route was really pedestrian (I'd put it in the same tier as Shizune's: boring tier)

Speaking of the Shizune route, it's a lot deeper than people give it credit for. As a bookworm, I am truly humbled for not realizing this earlier.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Konopan wrote:
That part where you tried to use Wikipedia as a legitimate source of information might be where it failed you.

Do you suggest something better and free instead?

Generally ask other people for their opinion on the subject, then gather some facts to see if it stands?? Me as a huge visual novel lover for all types in the genre, they can tell a wonderful in full detail that most anime can not deliver on and you have the option to see how it ends most of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Agree with Todd about moe, but agree with him even more for giving Katawa Shoujo a fair chance. It's one thing to have an opinion, but it's a rare honesty and maturity that steps outside personal subjectivity to give even a long shot a shot. Very Happy

TitanXL wrote:
The only people who think Capcom hates Rockman is Dash fans, simple as that. They seem to ignore the plethora of other Rockman games and stuff that comes out over the years, sometimes even considering it a jab at them (like this Mega Man inclusion) based on the notion that 'It's not Dash, therefore they're making fun at us' and seems to speak from a deluded persecution complex to me. To keep saying that Capcom hates one of their big franchises is facepalm worthy.

Dash fans have a good axe to grind, considering many of them spent the good part of a year helping to develop a game they were never told was in a probationary period, and was ultimately cancelled shortly thereafter (it was an open community project after all, so many nights were wasted working away at designs, discussions, research, reverie, etc.). Not to mention how high Capcom pointlessly raised their hopes only to completely drop them, considering many fans had been waiting over a decade for the resolution to an ending cliffhanger in MML2. Capcom pretty much fanned the flames of anger here, and I don't blame Dash fans for being PO'ed.

And if that were the only thing that happened in recent history for Megaman you might have a point, but don't forget that Megaman Universe was also cancelled, and though Megaman was the most requested fan-favorite playable character for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 they rather saliently left him out of the party, relegating him to cameo appearances as incidental art in special modes... and this is the company mascot? Confused And now he finally does appear in a game... but as a pot-bellied, goofy-looking Internet-age self-mocking caricature catering to teh cynically ironic lulz culture, with a character bio that appears to subtly jab at Legends fans? (though TBH... pot-belly Megaman is kinda funny Razz )

It's hard to think given recent history that Capcom's recent actions regarding the franchise aren't some kinda portent for the Blue Bomber... but who knows what they've got planned? I hear they've assembled a committee to decide on the franchises' future, so we'll just have to wait and see.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Hahaha......... I wonder what the original Western Megaman artist would think of his creation now.......... If there were royalties, he'd be rich! Shocked

Ah, The Simpsons arcade game........ how many cups of quarters we threw at thee............ and that TMNT game.......... which we only finished on XBLA since it has infinite continues....... Laughing

PipingHotTea wrote:

Quote:

Katawa Shoujo and VN's in general are dumb.

I once felt that way also just like you, but then I took a VN to the heart. I wouldn't fully say that all VNs are dumb nor say KS is dumb. There are few good bunches in the VN genre.

He must be careful not to fall into the same trap as "FPS are dumb" pitfall. Laughing

Animerican14 wrote:

When I bring it up to her next time, maybe I should liken it to reading a narratively competent choose-your-own adventure novel geared at the young-adult-&-over crowd.

I used to have books of that; that and Wizards, Warriors, & You! And my first basic game program was one, and my first played MMORPG too (Carrionfields - MUD). Laughing

That reminds me, why don't they make visual novels of those books? The script scenario is pretty much written for them already - all they need are to draw the characters as hooks!

OTOH, I wonder what the Japanese VN players would think of Katawa Shoujo......... They'd probably think it's just average, given the breadth of eroge VNs released over there every year...........
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

OTOH, I wonder what the Japanese VN players would think of Katawa Shoujo......... They'd probably think it's just average, given the breadth of eroge VNs released over there every year...........

Here's a quote I got from someone from hongfire.
steveman wrote:

Speaking with a few Japanese friends I have, the "dislike" that has been expressed by Japanese VN fans is that the game is too good, but not perfect enough. The general sentiment that they express to me is that the fans over there would not accept anything less than perfection, but could accept abject failure as well, since they could simply write it off as "silly foreigner not understanding our storytelling style". By releasing something that is on par and even better than some VNs that have had anime made from them, 4LS showed they do get it, and that their VN's are not as unique as they thought.

In other words, they know it's not the best VN ever, but they are pretty impressed. Because in all honesty, the average eroge is quite terrible.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Speaking of the Shizune route, it's a lot deeper than people give it credit for. As a bookworm, I am truly humbled for not realizing this earlier.
You're right, it is, but I did understand her route the first time through. I got what the story was doing, and I could appreciate it (if anything, Misha's "third wheel" situation--though not the spoiler[homosexual situation]--was one of the things I could relate to the most out of the entire game). That doesn't make the events and dialog any less boring to read. The route takes the kind of "slice of life" approach, so the characters spend time doing and talking about really normal high school things, which is fine, even fitting considering the setting, and that type of slow pacing helps to convey the amount of time the characters are spending together, but it's kind of a slog to read through.

Shizune route is not badly structured, I actually think it is well structured, like how that 4chan quote mentions, but it's poorly paced and the writing itself was boring (the prose was boring, and the dialog, while more often than not serving its purpose, frequently just felt like padding). I think it's telling that my favorite part of the route was when Hisao and Misha take that little walk around the campus and chat: Misha was the most interesting character in the route to me, and I mean that sincerely (not in a "boo hoo y no misha route" way).

Shizune is a good example of a character who kinda gets more character development by what's not written instead of by what is, so you do need to slow down and read between the lines more than the other routes, but understandably a lot of people sitting down to read any story (VN or otherwise) are going to be focusing on what is written more than what isn't.

enurtsol wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1947023#1947023
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The only people who think Capcom hates Rockman is Dash fans, simple as that. They seem to ignore the plethora of other Rockman games and stuff that comes out over the years, sometimes even considering it a jab at them (like this Mega Man inclusion) based on the notion that 'It's not Dash, therefore they're making fun at us' and seems to speak from a deluded persecution complex to me. To keep saying that Capcom hates one of their big franchises is facepalm worthy.

That's actually wrong though.

ZX got canned after Advent, despite having that huge cliffhanger ending. X got canned after X8 leaving the whole Lumine thing vague and no lead up to the Zero stuff and instead of a proper X9, we get a crappy port of X1 for iOS. Command Mission doesn't count as that was in between X7 and X8 and more of an AU as well.

Quote:
Katawa Shoujo and VN's in general are dumb.

Go play the Muv Luv trilogy. I freaking dare you. Come back to me once your finished and say that to me again.

As for new releases; I'll probably try that Simpson Arcade game if I have enough time and cash from my game budget as I'll be picking up Final Fantasy XIII-2 (I actually enjoyed the first game) and Soul Calibur V this week.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Because in all honesty, the average eroge is quite terrible.

true dat brotha. True dat.

Funny how its mostly 'average' eroge that gets licensed here... fantranslators fill in the gaps but...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Here's a quote I got from someone from hongfire.
steveman wrote:

Speaking with a few Japanese friends I have, the "dislike" that has been expressed by Japanese VN fans is that the game is too good, but not perfect enough. The general sentiment that they express to me is that the fans over there would not accept anything less than perfection, but could accept abject failure as well, since they could simply write it off as "silly foreigner not understanding our storytelling style". By releasing something that is on par and even better than some VNs that have had anime made from them, 4LS showed they do get it, and that their VN's are not as unique as they thought.

Veers wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1947023#1947023

Thanks guys, those are some of the funnier lines I've read. Like these ones: Laughing

“I just remembered that now… At middle school there was a girl with an artificial arm. I flipped her skirt and got slapped with her silicone hand… it hurt at the time, but now I think of it, it’s a fond memory.”

“It may be a fond memory to you, but to her it may be an indelible lifelong scar!”

“She was probably secretly delighted to be treated just like any other girl.”
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
And if that were the only thing that happened in recent history for Megaman you might have a point, but don't forget that Megaman Universe was also cancelled, and though Megaman was the most requested fan-favorite playable character for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 they rather saliently left him out of the party, relegating him to cameo appearances as incidental art in special modes... and this is the company mascot? Confused And now he finally does appear in a game... but as a pot-bellied, goofy-looking Internet-age self-mocking caricature catering to teh cynically ironic lulz culture, with a character bio that appears to subtly jab at Legends fans? (though TBH... pot-belly Megaman is kinda funny Razz )

While I can see it if they put time into developing it it would be frustrating, sometimes things just happen. As for Marvel VS Capcom 3, wasn't Zero in that game though? And Tron Bonne? It's not as if they're ignoring the franchise completely, fans just didn't get exactly what they wanted. Two characters representing the franchises a lot more than what most franchises got out of that game (Breath of Fire where?). Sort of like now when they get Mega Fatman instead of the classic boy blue bomber. By all logic, Mega Man shouldn't even be in a Street Fighter x Tekken game.

Lynx Amali wrote:
ZX got canned after Advent, despite having that huge cliffhanger ending. X got canned after X8 leaving the whole Lumine thing vague and no lead up to the Zero stuff and instead of a proper X9, we get a crappy port of X1 for iOS. Command Mission doesn't count as that was in between X7 and X8 and more of an AU as well.

To be honest, are we taking X series' plot seriously enough for this to be a main fault? The one where Zero dies in literally every game and comes back in the next one and Sigma is always behind everything? At least for the first 6 games I played. I really don't see X series not getting any resolution as a big deal, just like the classic series never got any even with the new 9 and 10. I don't think they'll ever get a proper ending since the story literally just amounts to 'beat 8 bosses, then face Wily/Sigma, and save the day' and those two series are more about the gameplay than the story. Plus it kind of ruins the chances for them to pop out another game down the line if they want (though I suppose they can just retcon it if they felt like it)

The only Rockman games where I actually cared about the story was the EXE and Ryuusei series, which are also the only ones that got anime series, probably because they're the only ones with enough story and characters to support an anime (though I could see a Tron Bonne spin-off comedy anime working like the game she got).
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Thanks guys, those are some of the funnier lines I've read. Like these ones: Laughing

“I just remembered that now… At middle school there was a girl with an artificial arm. I flipped her skirt and got slapped with her silicone hand… it hurt at the time, but now I think of it, it’s a fond memory.”

“It may be a fond memory to you, but to her it may be an indelible lifelong scar!”

“She was probably secretly delighted to be treated just like any other girl.”
I remember seeing those posts in Japanese. Took me a couple passes to figure out what he was saying but as soon as I did I started cracking up.
DJcream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to take a risky attempt in this thread to not talk about Megaman and my definition of what a VN and just finally start the conversation of what we're all playing this week.

First I'd like to give this indie game called Analogue: A Hate Story a special shoutout. Like other games created by known indie game developer Christine Love (Digital: A love story), the game takes a unique approach in storytelling.

As an unnamed protagonist in the distant future, you are instructed to extract and read surviving data logs of this space colony ruled by this Korean family. With the help of the onboard AI, named *Hyun-ae, the player is immersed in piecing together this colony's history by learning its culture, marriage traditions, acts of loneliness and kindness, and other points of interest through those logs.

I haven't really finished the game just yet, but it definitely makes for an interesting night's read (unless you have problems with Korean names and cultural values). A downside of this game is that it's priced at $15, which is considerably steep since Digital (although Love's first successful game) was free and had just as much interactivity with its story.

For those interested in a demo, I'd hit up this link: http://ahatestory.com/

I've also been hesitant to pick up Soul Calibur 5 since it feels like the game has made a lot of dramatic changes in its core gameplay by adding but mostly removing most of its core cast from the previous game. This worries me since I was an Amy player.

Finally being able to play the game for the first time last night was a bit frustrating to do that "soul search" for a new main. Unlike a lot of 2D fighters, I feel like 3D fighters like Tekken, SC lacks what I call character archetypes that specialize in a specific playstyle (I tend to gravitate towards mixup characters as apposed to strong rushdown or zoning ones).

Instead, Soul Calibur in general works on how much space you want to control to a certain level of effectiveness, and this sounds incredibly bland to me. I may have a different opinion once I figure out the one character to adopt this time around but until then playing this game almost makes me want to pull my hair out.

Also I've been meaning to pick up FF13-2 but I wanna hold off on that after hitting up this major Blazblue tournament happening in the Bay Area (california). This is kind of a longshot but if anyone is going to NorCal Install this Saturday, stop by and say "hi". I'm either going to be the only Carl player in the whole arcade or probably in the back room playing W.Len on Melty Blood .
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm still trying to finish up Hyperdimension Neptunia before mark 2 comes out. I just came across a reference to a Neo Geo Front, which I suppose is a reference crossing the game system and Evangelion. I wonder if this was in the original Japanese version, or if it was something NISA invented? Anyway, I'm glad Todd clearly marks out the moe games, even if just for vituperation, so I can pick them up.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I would like to see feedback from Japanese VN players as well. The only feedback I've seen was 2ch not being so fond of the title.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/01/08/2ch-outraged-by-discriminatory-katawa-shoujo/

Speaking of Shizune, I'm in act 2 of her route, but her and Misha's characters have been rubbing me the wrong way. I want to see her side of the story but its her personality that's bugging me a bit.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:

Visual novels are an evolution of old text-based adventure games. Not all VN include romance. Chunsoft has a series of mystery games; horror VN are also popular. Nobody is going to call Higurashi a dating sim. Laughing

Choose your own adventure style books are pretty much the beginnings of visual novels. "Dating sim" is more of a sub-genre of visual novels.

When people say "VNs are dumb" or whatever, I always have to ask if they have ever read choose your own adventure books (like Lone Wolf!) since they are pretty much the same, but via a different medium.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4