• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Multiple Hatsune Miku Videos Being Taken Down Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Furi-Yuri wrote:
2ch says it's an organized group of Koreans.
I am not saying it is but just relaying that.

2ch blaming Koreans is a running joke, don't take it seriously.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
the ones who are doing this need to be impaled, not die, be impaled again, need to sit on an electric chair for eternity.

and I'm ashamed to say that my dad, who hates miku is supporting this.
potassium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's Sony Music Japan.

They're certainly known for their false reports on youtube as well as making multiple reports against the same video that already went through the appeals process and was reinstated.
Saruta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hello, this is Saruta from the VocaloidOtaku.net thread (linked in the article. We're now a source, oops).

People on that thread want to know who is doing it. I would really appreciate if mrsatan could give out details on the notifications that he got. What videos these were, and what the notification said. The same applies to anyone else who got notifications.

We might find out that videos of particular producers get attacked, or something like that. Or we might at least know what producers to try and contact? To file a counter-notification one needs to be sure first...

As for Sony, they do attack under their own name. Several removed accounts have Sony listed among the complaining parties. Unfirtunately we can't know what particular videos Sony has attacked under its own name, as YT only shows "accoiundt has been removed". It *seems* that they are after Project DIVA stuff.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
If my understanding of the DMCA is correct, under US Law, youtube has to take down any video that is reported as a copyright violation if they want to comply with the safe harbor provisions and protect themselves.

Unfortunately, this belief is a huge misunderstanding of the law and you can bet "rights holders" are taking full advantage of it.

The original law actually has the text "reasonable amount of time", and because of this, it was open to interpretation. This changed in 2001 when a court briefing merged two unrelated sections of OCILLA into the common "24 hours" most now contend with. While the defendant's portion of this lawsuit was dismissed, the fear was now set and open for abuse.

The fallout has been incalculable in both lost jobs (real lost jobs, not that shit Hollywood throws around) and true losses of revenue. Anything covered under copyright (music, books, videos, and software) were now threatened by anyone with a "claim".

So, why hasn't this been challenged? Copyright law can impose damages up to $250,000 per infringement, which means every 4 files distributed could cost $1 million.

No one is going to risk it and spend years fighting it when it's truly just easier to take the "Better safe than sorry" approach.

Unfortunately, even this isn't protection as evident with the Viacom v. YouTube lawsuit.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's all the more reasons for more people to upload Vocaloid videos. Let's see whether the anti-Miku group can keep up with the fans.

I feel sorry for the uploaders who got over million views. Hope their videos will be brought back by counter-take down.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
I read at Hatsune Miku's facebook site forum that it was thought that Sony Music Division had ordered loads of these taken down, but when they later denied any involvement Youtube put them back up again. this is just evil when the majority, if not all, of the artists using vocaloid software are individuals not connected or contracted to any businesses, or record labels and Crypton has set up a special licensing arrangment
Crypton Future Media wrote:
For a smoother user experience, we have launched our unique licensing system named "Piapro Character License (PCL)", which is basically an equivalent to the Creative Commons license in copyright clearance. By incorporating the PCL with PIAPRO, every creator can set up a situation for ever-more active collaboration and "peer production."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
The original law actually has the text "reasonable amount of time", and because of this, it was open to interpretation. This changed in 2001 when a court briefing merged two unrelated sections of OCILLA into the common "24 hours" most now contend with. While the defendant's portion of this lawsuit was dismissed, the fear was now set and open for abuse.

Thank you very much, very interesting information.

Any chance the Tea party (which helped stop SOPA/PIPA) might overturn these mistake? IMO the ideal would be overturning the whole DMCA that Clinton signed, but that might be a tad more difficult.
Shii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Furi-Yuri wrote:
2ch says it's an organized group of Koreans.
I am not saying it is but just relaying that.

2ch blaming Koreans is a running joke, don't take it seriously.
Koreans have been posting, in English, on the "savemiku" videos saying that people should use SeeU instead, because it's better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2