Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima! Magister Negi Magi Manga to End in 3 More Chapters


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sunday Silence



Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 2047
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Akamatsu's wife probably demanded a PERMANENT HIATUS.

More than likely, Ken Akamatsu is probably now going to be busy focusing on J-Comi (especially in terms of international availability).


The joke went over your head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 2610
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
Covnam wrote:
I also hope that the end of the series gets animated, that'd be a nice bonus.

Won't happen. The movie was the end of the anime.


Oh yeah, forgot about that. Have you seen it? Since it came out over the summer I'd be curious to know what it covered/how far it went or if it had an original ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4165
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Bastille wrote:
This seems way too short... Either the publisher told him to end it or he will continue the series with a different title.


I suspect the second case senario would happen.

Or a spinoff of some sorts like with Neo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5993
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Well I just finished volume 11 (yeah long way to go, I know). But nice to hear the serie will have a conclusion. I got to start going back reading the serie, I like the manga (and I'm mixed on the anime adaptation).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
burnpsy



Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Have you seen it? Since it came out over the summer I'd be curious to know what it covered/how far it went or if it had an original ending.


The movie was advertised as the original ending Akamatsu planned that would have followed right after the contents of Volume 36 (the Mundus Magicus arc). Looks like we're getting an ending in the 39th volume instead of the 37th.

mdo7 wrote:
Well I just finished volume 11 (yeah long way to go, I know). But nice to hear the serie will have a conclusion. I got to start going back reading the serie, I like the manga (and I'm mixed on the anime adaptation).


General opinion is that the anime is mostly garbage. I would have found it OK if it weren't for how much it pales in comparison to the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 5993
Location: Cypress, Texas, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Well I just finished volume 11 (yeah long way to go, I know). But nice to hear the serie will have a conclusion. I got to start going back reading the serie, I like the manga (and I'm mixed on the anime adaptation).


General opinion is that the anime is mostly garbage. I would have found it OK if it weren't for how much it pales in comparison to the manga.


Well I didn't really hate the anime or thought it was garbage. I'm mixed on how the anime was handled. For the first series, I was glad it follow the manga almost closely. But it's the character design that got my attention because of some of them didn't look close to what they look like in the manga. the episode where they killed off Asuna was just wrong on many level. The second series, I like how the character deisgn look closer to what they look like in the manga. It's the storyline that sort of concern me because they seem a little siliy and not quite up to par in my review. Overall, I thought they were OK but those 2 anime adaptation are not the best I've seen. The OVAs were OK, the spring OVA was the one I like the best.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dardre



Joined: 16 Mar 2006
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Overall, I thought they were OK but those 2 anime adaptation are not the best I've seen. The OVAs were OK, the spring OVA was the one I like the best.


I have to admit to not liking Negima!? all that much. It was nicely animated, and had the typical SHAFT weirdness, but the Pactio system, as it was in this anime, was not something that wizards would have continued to use; nor would it have become wide-spread. A 1-in-3 chance of complete failure and being absolutely useless? Yeah, using that in combat is brilliant; note the sarcasm.


If you want a faithful adaptation of the manga, in both content and character design, then the Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba (3 episodes) and the Mō Hitotsu no Sekai OADs (4 episodes + Yue-centric special episode) are superb. You can actually identify the manga panels that a scene is based on. It's animated by SHAFT, and really shows just how good, and faithful to the material, they can be when they suppress the urge to get creative. Wink

Ala Alba covers the short period of time between the end of the Maharu Festival and spoiler[leaving for the Magical World], with brief glimpses of the training the characters go through; my only real quibble is that Asuna's spoiler["Blizzard Training" isn't fully animated, just a brief scene of being chased by the enormous snowball and then it skips to the end]. But they do have the trip to 'Komiket', for many lulz.

Hitotsu no Sekai is the trip to England and spoiler[the Magical World], and covers up through Negi's spoiler[Magia Erebea] training. The "special" is about Yue and her spoiler[Magic Knight] training and the spoiler[combat race].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
the episode where they spoiler[killed off Asuna] was just wrong on many level.


I think that statement is worthy of a spoiler tag.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
General opinion is that the anime is mostly garbage.


The general opinion where? And by what definition of "garbage"?

The encyclopedia ratings for the anime are well above average.
Of all of the people who rated Negima! and Negima!? fewer than 10% rated them as "not really good" or worse.
Is that the general opinion that considers the anime to be "garbage"?

I will admit that I am biased because I do like both shows. Negima! was one of my top ten shows when I first watched it, and it is still number 15 several years later.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
burnpsy



Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The rating on this site means very little when I've yet to see a single anime that doesn't have mostly positive ratings.

Ask around the fanbase. Most people I've seen refused to buy the first anime, because they hated it with a passion. Negima!? is disliked for not being an adaptation of the actual story, which is what people wanted to see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
The rating on this site means very little when I've yet to see a single anime that doesn't have mostly positive ratings.

You may say that the ratings on this site mean very little, but I say that they mean a whole lot more than
Quote:
Ask around the fanbase.


The ratings here at least have some substance and allow a way to make somewhat objective comparisons of popularity. I say "somewhat objective" because the ratings are just a collection of opinions, but they are not just my opinion and those opinions are quantifiable.
If you have something that is more reliable then please let us know what it is. I hope that it is something other than your "fanbase."

That also brings up the question of which "fanbase" you are talking about. If you ask the fanbase for the Negima! anime I doubt that their general opinion would be that the show is garbage. If you ask the fanbase for the manga then the general opinion might be very different because the anime is not the manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia



Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 5344
Location: Philly
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
General opinion is that the anime is mostly garbage.


The general opinion where? And by what definition of "garbage"?

The encyclopedia ratings for the anime are well above average.
Of all of the people who rated Negima! and Negima!? fewer than 10% rated them as "not really good" or worse.
Is that the general opinion that considers the anime to be "garbage"?

They're not above average. Not mean average, anyway, which is about 7.5 for all rated series in the ANN encyclopedia. Just because a rating scale goes from 0 to 10 doesn't mean that a 5 is average.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Touma wrote:
burnpsy wrote:
General opinion is that the anime is mostly garbage.


The general opinion where? And by what definition of "garbage"?

The encyclopedia ratings for the anime are well above average.
Of all of the people who rated Negima! and Negima!? fewer than 10% rated them as "not really good" or worse.
Is that the general opinion that considers the anime to be "garbage"?

They're not above average. Not mean average, anyway, which is about 7.5 for all rated series in the ANN encyclopedia. Just because a rating scale goes from 0 to 10 doesn't mean that a 5 is average.


I am not sure what your point is but "mean" and "average" are not the same.
If you look at the arithmetic mean for Negima! you will see that it ranks number 1776 out of 5088. That means that 1775 shows are rated higher and 3312 shows are rated lower. I see that as being well above average. Or am I incorrect about what those numbers mean?

In any case the arithmetic mean, weighted mean, and Bayesian estimate for both Negima! and Negima!? are all "good."
So unless "good" is synonymous with "garbage" in your vocabulary my point is still valid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
burnpsy



Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
At the same time, Touma, Dorcas beat me to the punch in saying what I was going to say, except he didn't go as far as I was going to.

7.5 is apparently the mean rating. Does that mean all series are good? No. Now, who would be motivated to actually leave a rating? Not a very significant amount of people, I'm afraid. The simple fact that the mean is so high pretty much gives validity to a theory that says it's mostly people who like a show that bother rating it at all.

So does it really mean anything?

Not to mention we have reason to believe both sold bad for English audiences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
burnpsy wrote:
At the same time, Touma, Dorcas beat me to the punch in saying what I was going to say, except he didn't go as far as I was going to.

7.5 is apparently the mean rating. Does that mean all series are good? No. Now, who would be motivated to actually leave a rating? Not a very significant amount of people, I'm afraid. The simple fact that the mean is so high pretty much gives validity to a theory that says it's most people who like a show that bother rating it at all.

So does it really mean anything?

It does mean something to me for reasons which I have already stated and will not repeat.
I already asked if you have something better.

Quote:
Not to mention we have reason to believe both sold bad for English audiences.

That is a different subject, but I will ask what your "reason" is.
And are you certain that R1 sales are an accurate indicator of an anime's "quality", or even popularity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group