• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Horn in the USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this podcast! It was very interesting to hear from someone who has been involved in anime since the '80s. I loved his enthusiasm! It made me feel nostalgic even though I wasn't into anime then, although I do particularly love '80s and '90s anime now.

I feel like rewatching Evangelion now after hearing him talk about it. Regarding the voice actors, I've always had a particular fondness for both Megumi Ogata and Kotono Mitsuishi because not only are they phenomenal, they were both also Sailor Senshi. You just can't beat that.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This was the coolest episode in a long time! I could listen to Carl Horn talk about Evangelion forever.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Many great stories, but The Wings of Honneamise saga is simply incredible. Just wow.

Thank you very much to Zac and Justin for making this interview. It has been years since I expected the Anime World Order to do an interview with Mr. Horn. I still expect them to do it one day since he probably has thousands of other interesting stories to tell.

Despite being accustomed with long podcast episodes, I felt like this anncast should have been divided into two episodes.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Great episode guys. This podcasts always at its best when interviewing guys like Carl. It reminded me of when i first encountered anime back in my home land of zambia (its in africa) when i watched Voltron and Pokemon back in the late 90s. Good times Wink
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Carl Horn for President.

I wish I could remember 1/10th of the stuff he remembered.

He's also a very good interior designer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
If I had access to a time machine one of the places I'd go would be Japan during the boom years in the '80's. Even up until recently anime has had a romantic nostalgia with that era that just makes me want to experience them--like living in a Duran Duran video set in the not-so-distant future.

What an incredible guest! Well done!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
I had not realized until this podcast how much location mattered in early anime fandom.

In '85-'86, I was a Stanford freshman, and a bunch of us were watching "Robotech" in 240 Branner Hall every afternoon, which is what led me to finding the Comics & Comix branch in Palo Alto, a store got into anime and manga early… likely as a result of the C&C home store in Berkeley that Carl talks about in this podcast.

The Palo Alto store would plop a TV on the counter and run some sort of animation every Friday... usually stuff like the awful "Pryde of the X Men" pilot, but also "Akira" (without subtitles, but the Epic comic was coming out then, so you could follow along tolerably well), and even "Char's Counterattack" (which was subtitled, and unless that got shown on TV in Hawai'i [unlikely], was probably a product of Carl's Amiga friends up in Berkeley).

Also… Animag! I got a bunch of those from Comics & Comix too (gave them away in a recent move, now wishing I hadn't). Good writing in these, including full-on episode guides for "Zeta Gundam", "Bubblegum Crisis", and "Aura Battler Dunbine" (which sounded AWESOME for its time, so it's unfortunate that is has become a punchline for ADV and the bubble). Didn't anime writer/editor Trish Ledeoux get her start on Animag? Was that all part of a late 80's Berkeley scene?

Lots of great info in this episode, helps put stuff in context and connect the dots. Thanks, guys.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much to add to the discussion, but I really wanted to drop by to say that Carl's stories were fascinating. I really enjoyed getting his input on what one could describe as the origin of the fandom in America. Great guest!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
@about 78:00 in: "Lets see, how do we read? Oh yeah, left to right."

LOL! I don't know how many times I have started reading something from the right only to realize it is not Japanese! Smile

I am one of the A!MG/OMG fan community that Carl talks about. It is a very active community. I found my way to the manga from the anime, but I love both! Both of my kids are fans of it as well (10 and 15 years old). It is a great series!
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
This was an excellent podcast.

I can say, without reservation or exaggeration, that the final scene of Honneamise literally moves me to tears.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
My "conversations" with Carl are usually along the lines of this podcast. We come up with a subject, and then I listen to him talk for 45 minutes.

He's the only person I know that I could listen to like that.

-t
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I wish he would have given some indication on whether MPD, Eden, or Ghost Talker will be continuing. Or maybe I missed that? I kind of skimmed through parts. Sad
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Just got around to listening. Great to hear Carl's views on the matter. A lot of good points here and certainly an interesting talk about our country in general.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I got chance to finish this podcast. I must say, Carl Horn has describe his life in the industry and also the history of anime and manga in US since the 80's. Also I wasn't aware that Mamoru Oshii was questioned by the police because the 1995 Tokyo subway sarin gas attack was similar to an episode from Patlabor. I wonder if the Japanese media ever blame the subway gas attack on Patlabor like how they blame Doom and other video game to Colombine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm kind of late to this (this is one of those podcasts that you really need to set aside a chunk of a lazy afternoon for, just so you can soak it all in), but this was a really fascinating one. Carl Horn is practically a walking Wikipedia of anime, including the fact that it's really easy for both to get lost in interesting tangents.

I'm glad to hear that DH is picking up Angelic Layer for an omnibus release - I've loved all the DH CLAMP rereleases, from the improved translations to the additional color splash pages and I look forward to more like those.

I'm also glad to hear that DH hasn't given up on Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. I only discovered that series last year and really loved it, and when I heard that there was no set release date for vol. 12 or beyond, I feared the worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2