• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Halts Releases of Bakuman., Ikki Tousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Welp, that's what happens when you build a house on a foundation of shit like Kanokon, Queens Blade and Dokoro Chan. It colapses into a smelly mess.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Welp, that's what happens when you build a house on a foundation of shit like Kanokon, Queens Blade and Dokoro Chan. It colapses into a smelly mess.

I can't believe I gave Kanokon a chance, and I'll never give Queens Blade a chance, but Dokoro-chan is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know Dokuro-chan sucks in terms of quality, but I guess I like some shows that are over the top and full of shock-value. And I'm sort of a jaded person when it comes to dark-comedy, so it takes a lot for me to crack a laugh in those types of shows, and Dokoro-chan really took me off guard, lol.
But I will say that the second Dokuro-chan OVA was even worse compared to the first OVA.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
On the question of active US anime companies how accurate is the wikipedia list? are any missing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anime_companies
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote
@ Ushio - the list has the main ones, but it is missing a few like Discotek, who just announced they are re-issuing some older titles like The Venus Wars among others; Eastern Star who brought out Fist of the North Star not that long ago; and S'More Entertainment, who just recently announced they were bringing back Galaxy Express 999.
Starsplash Taiwan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I can't believe I gave Kanokon a chance, and I'll never give Queens Blade a chance, but Dokoro-chan is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know Dokuro-chan sucks in terms of quality, but I guess I like some shows that are over the top and full of shock-value. And I'm sort of a jaded person when it comes to dark-comedy, so it takes a lot for me to crack a laugh in those types of shows, and Dokoro-chan really took me off guard, lol.
But I will say that the second Dokuro-chan OVA was even worse compared to the first OVA.

Kanokon is one of my fav animes. Its just a fun anime other than the fan service. Queen's Blade is actually good if you can get past the nudity, and apparently, most people can't. If you can't get past the fan service in Queen's Blade, of course you won't like it. Dokoro-Chan is the first anime I ever watched and its my all time number 1 fav.

So they are canceling Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians? I hope someone picks it up quick or else Ill be forced to buy from malaysia. And I hate it because they censor everything remotly suggestive. but its the only place to get eng subs. please dont force me to buy from Malaysia US anime companies.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Let's just hope John is trying to get their 'now smaller' house in order and is re-organizing what little there's is left. With letting go most of the staff I'm assuming he'll need to farm out work and needs the time to get all that in place, (even though he did say the layoffs wouldn't affect production). Given this announcement, I guess it did. I'm not jumping ship yet, but this cruise-line is Costa Concordia listing.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
N-N-No Great Guardians? Damn it.
Is it alright to say the anime industry is dead in North America? Because that's what I'm getting.

Oh well. Time to burn fansubs onto my R2 DVDs.
Unless, someone else picks it up.

Quote:
I can't believe I gave Kanokon a chance, and I'll never give Queens Blade a chance,

Queen's Blade is actually pretty decent. It's still on the higher end scale of ecchi though. It actually has characters that, wait for it, develop. The plot's there but you mostly watch it for the character interactions and fights. And here I was hoping they'd pick up the Rebellion OVAs when they caught up. Airi is pretty much the only reason I watched considering she was my favorite and was mildly impressed by it.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Ushio - the list has the main ones, but it is missing a few like Discotek, who just announced they are re-issuing some older titles like The Venus Wars among others; Eastern Star who brought out Fist of the North Star not that long ago; and S'More Entertainment, who just recently announced they were bringing back Galaxy Express 999.

Aren't Discotek and Eastern Star the same company?
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I would say the Anime industry is dead, but it certainly is on a rocky path right now. The news about Media Blasters delaying/cancelling titles for February and March is unfortunate, but at least from what I've seen, the Bakuman BD is still on schedule and they have yet to announce they're closing down. Hopefully MB can pull out of this, for I'd hate to see them disappear.
GDFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
If the Squid Girl blu-ray is cancelled, I'll have to rip my hair out and go live in a cave.

I didn't buy the DVDs due to the nightmare with the volume 1 cases (did they ever fix that?) so I've been holding out.

The case for the second set had different style hubs, it still has a really cheap feel, but at leasts they hold the discs in place.

Conan-san wrote:

I have to agree that they are shit, but aren't Kanokon and Queen's Blade big sellers?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
The most surprising thing to me about this thread has been finding out that Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan is so ill-regarded. I didn't even consider it spectacular myself, but I appreciated what it was trying to do and thought it even succeeded on a few points. Besides, Justin Sevakis likes it. (I did, however, prefer Magical Witch Punie-chan)

I really should consider ceasing to equivocate on buying Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Crap. I've holding out for their box sets as I usually do and I have just about every MB release (well, AnimeWorks label anyways) Most of their releases have been always been delayed, sometimes significantly, so I hope this is only temporary..... They haven't announced any cancellations yet, so I can only hope they'll bounce back.

Conan-san wrote:

Rolling Eyes right because somehow everyone shares your opinion
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Couldn't care less about Suckuman (heh) but the indefinite release of GG is AN INTERNATIONAL CATASTROPHE!!!

Too bad, so sad about that... Laughing
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Aren't Discotek and Eastern Star the same company?

Yes they are. They are simply different labels, like Anime Works and Tokyo Shock.

I don't think everyone needs to hit the panic button just yet. Media Blasters is certainly in a rough spot but it's not like this is the first time they've delayed releases. It's not even the first time they've delayed release without giving reasons or a new ETA.
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides, Justin Sevakis likes it.

His taste is freaking terrible. So I guess that's one mark against this show that Bitter Old Man Sevakis likes it.

I don't see how this could have been a failure though considering they went back and dubbed it. That means it's popular. Opinions on forums are kind of meaningless.

I'm sure Media Blasters will be back. I don't see them going out of business even after the staff cut.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5