• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Making the Digital Jump With Viz Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Boco_T wrote:
All these posts about never buying digital manga are great posts, everyone, they are really contributing to the discussion on an article about different digital manga viewers. Can we get about 20 more posts about it? How many bookshelves do you own?

I think it is best to lead by example. *hard stare*

It's a pity the Nook app can't handle two-page spreads properly for right-to-left comics. It would need both to recognize which two pages can form a spread, and to place the earlier page on the right side of the display. I can't quite tell from Carlo's example whether it can try to make a two-page spread out of any two sequential pages, or if it always makes the wrong decision on that point for right-to-left comics. (I don't have any right-to-left books immediately at hand here; I would have presumed that the even pages are on the right, which would make two-page spreads look like pages 2n and 2n+1, just like left-to-right books.) The example does show the Nook putting the earlier page on the left, which is only correct for left-to-right books.

Software linked (clickable or equivalent) chapter indices would be a real help, as would be software linked notes pages. Paper manga volumes are often sparse with page numbers, and it can take work to find the item referred to in a notes page.

With both e-reader options having their downsides, it's not too surprising many posters are echoing the last paragraph of the review.

I'm on the borderline myself. Wake me up when a seinen magazine like Afternoon puts out translated digital manga.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
One, I don't own either of these devices. And two, I do not live in the US.

However, I imagine that the above article was very useful for those who at least qualify for '2' and I found it an interesting read nonetheless.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd only go digital if Viz bothered to put their out of print (and subsequently expensive as all hell) series on there. Otherwise, no go. I don't even own an iPad because Apple devices are stupidly expensive even used.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Physical copies are best copies. I'll stick with the volumes then. SJ's "articles" have been terrible for years anyway.
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I signed up for SJ Alpha because I wanted a legal way to read SJ series relatively soon after they came out in Japan. I have no plans to own any type of tablet or e-reader, and I'm going to continue to collect volumes of my favorite series. I don't really care about the electronic vs. paper debate, since I use both methods anyway. I like physical better, but it's not really important to me. SJ Alpha is as close as I'm going to get to being able to go to the local store and pick up an English copy of Weekly Shonen Jump each week.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
this is nice and my ipod touch is great with the viz app.. but can some answer me one thing?? Does viz still the have publishing licnese for hayate the combat butler or is that limbo?? I love the series but 20 plus volumes series takes a tole and I need to move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I have a Nook Color and have been using it for some time and recently started getting manga for it. There's one bit of information that's incorrect in the article. For the Nook Color, you swipe your finger from left to right to read manga(like you're reading a print edition), as well. Also, when you open a manga volume on the Nook Color, a little speech bubble pops up telling you to read from right to left. So, manga's configured correctly on the Nook in that regard.

For the two-page spread issue, I can't really comment on because I haven't gotten any titles with that yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I would get more shelves as well. I gotta agree, that the feel of pages and the beautiful covers are so much better to be held in physical form rather than on a digital device in my opinion.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
this is nice and my ipod touch is great with the viz app.

Me too. This app was one of the reasons why I decided to get a iPod about 3 months ago.

So far I've gotten One Piece volumes 1-3, 55-64, and Rurouni Kenshin 1-3 through vizmanga.com

baadaku12345 wrote:

VIZ's manga app also requires you to be connected to the internet to read their manga, ]Now I don't know anything about Ipads, but doesn't that mean you couldn't read it unless you're near a router?

For the Android yeah, probably the Nook too. But for my iPod, and the iPad too probably, you can download them and read them offline.

Carlo Santos wrote:
or the chapter break where you left off.

the Viz iOS app allows you to place a (singular) bookmark per volume. And I'm pretty sure it synchronizes them with the web viewer.

Last edited by PBsallad on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Double post, sorry.

Last edited by PBsallad on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
What I don't like about Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha:

No Kindle Fire support, the e-reader/tablet of my choice.

All these "Digital Warps" punish the people that were following series legally, I'm not all that interested in reading two weeks after Japan if I'm still years behind. I guess I'm sticking with volumes for Bakuman.

No more Psyren and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, while the latter isn't very good (And I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan), I was loving following the former in the monthly US Shonen Jump and it was just nice to get two new series instead of the ones that've gone on forever.

Reading these on an Internet browser is incredibly unpleasant. It's not nearly as good as other comic readers like Comixology.

The issues expire, while I can see why they do it, I don't really want to pay for something that's just going to disappear in a year.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
I have a Nook Color and have been using it for some time and recently started getting manga for it. There's one bit of information that's incorrect in the article. For the Nook Color, you swipe your finger from left to right to read manga(like you're reading a print edition), as well. Also, when you open a manga volume on the Nook Color, a little speech bubble pops up telling you to read from right to left. So, manga's configured correctly on the Nook in that regard.

This is a review of how Viz has done it. What you are saying implies Viz should have bought manga already on the Nook Color to find out how to do it right. I have a Nook and it works both ways with books to flip back and forth ~ its silly to think its better to "flip" the pages.

However, on JManga I prefer the panel at a time mode on the 7" screen. Something like that would require an app.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
WindAlchemistJen wrote:

This is a review of how Viz has done it. What you are saying implies Viz should have bought manga already on the Nook Color to find out how to do it right. I have a Nook and it works both ways with books to flip back and forth ~ its silly to think its better to "flip" the pages.

However, on JManga I prefer the panel at a time mode on the 7" screen. Something like that would require an app.

the article wrote:
The thing about manga on the Nook is that, since it's not running on a native Viz app, it has to conform to however Barnes and Noble formats things. And the designers of the Nook interface have assumed—quite reasonably—that every book they're ever going to carry for an English-speaking audience is going to run left-to-right. This results in mind-bending hilarity where, in order to go to the next page on the Nook, you have to swipe to the left ... in the exact opposite direction that one would turn a page in manga. Left Turn Only?! I don't think so!

Don't worry; after doing it a bunch of times, this counterintuitive motion becomes automatic, just like we all had to train our eyes to read right-to-left at some point.

The above quote is what I was referring to. Yes, the Nook can go both ways to get to the previous or next page, but the article states that to get to the next page in a manga, it's in the left to right format when it really is in a right to left format, like with the printed edition of manga.

I was implying nothing(I don't imply...I state things exactly as I see them), just stating that manga on the Nook Color is read right to left as opposed to what was claimed in the article. Yes, I've bought Viz titles for my Nook Color, so, I do know what I'm talking about.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I switched to digital comics for DC with the start of the 52, and Marvel in a few months. The only thing left to buy on paper are the ones releases Vertical and I digitize them. Heck I have been digitizing my and my dads collection of comics the last few moths. It is great to travel and be able to take hundreds of issues with you and take up no more room then a single small book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7