• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hollywood Theatre to Show Arrietty in Japanese Without Subs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
If they have the Japanese population to support it, this sounds like a great idea! Subs can be very distracting if the movie is in your native language- I saw the second Harry Potter film in Japan and spent half the time looking at the Japanese subs. (The translations of the spells were entertaining.) Are they going to have any Japanese language screenings with subs?

Looking forward to the dub though- I saw Arriety in theaters in Japan back in 2010, and it's now my second-favorite Ghibli film. Disney usually does a good job with the English dubs, so I'm excited to see a different interpretation of the film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Interesting.

I can definitely see where it would be distracting. My friends sometimes put English subs on when the film is in English, and my eyes are always drawn to them. Of course, my college has a large deaf population, so I'm slowly being desensitized; everything over here as subs.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:
If they have the Japanese population to support it, this sounds like a great idea! Subs can be very distracting if the movie is in your native language-

Well not only that, but I think aubtitles in anime can be distracting from how the story is visually told.

This may not be a big deal to a lot of anime fans, but I personally can't help but think of certain arguments made by fans where they defend the importance of dialogue in dialogue-heavy shows and treating the visuals as pretty, but throwaway in terms of helping tell the story. I can't help but think of those types of arguments and how watching shows in Japanese with subtitles play a part of it. While I'm sure anime fans pay attention to visuals to at least some extent, many probably don't understand and think it doesn't matter how visuals apply in storytelling, especially if mainly paying attention to the screen because of the subtitles. I would honestly wonder what fans would think of some anime shows and films if they not only watched without the subtitles but even watched them on mute.

But again, most people might not think of it as a big deal and think I'm just reading too much into it. Still, I can't help but find that more and more oddly interesting when I think about it. But I'm just digressing.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Interesting.

I can definitely see where it would be distracting. My friends sometimes put English subs on when the film is in English, and my eyes are always drawn to them. Of course, my college has a large deaf population, so I'm slowly being desensitized; everything over here as subs.

Do you mean captions?
I am always a bit in awe at how something to innocuous as words on the bottom of a screen can get such a negative response from anime fans.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Interesting.

Do you mean captions?
I am always a bit in awe at how something to innocuous as words on the bottom of a screen can get such a negative response from anime fans.

Captions and subtitles. I was speaking more about movies, though, that come with optional subs. Films and movies are often shown over here, at least once a week. Subtitles are always enabled.

I think it depends on the person. For me, my eyes are automatically drawn to them, though it doesn't annoy me if the film is in a foreign language. It's different with English, I guess because I'm totally aware of when I'm reading something before it's said or when wording is off. It doesn't detract from the film, but it can be distracting. However, because I am being constantly exposed to them, I've been training myself to ignore them
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that there doing this, seeing as how there are lots of people who live in LA who speak Japanese. But I'm still a little baffled as to why they don't want to show a subtitled version for English speaking fans who may not care for English dubs. They haven't done this since Howl's Moving Castle.

Then again I think it's safe to assume that anyone who really wanted to see this with subs already has. I think I might check this out. It's rare to see anime in theaters but you NEVER see anime out here raw.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, sure there are people who are really happy about this. Now, I just got to keep the times in mind so when I go I make sure I catch a dubbed showing (yay Orange County). And I know my whole family are all going to want to catch at least one showing in the theatre together.

My family are all intense Studio Ghibli fans, even though my sister and me are the main anime fans now, my parents were sort of anime enthusiasts before either of us were born. We grew up having all the Miyazaki films on VHS and loved watching them together.
And I remember there being an ad for Castle in the Sky as "coming soon" on one of the VHS tapes, and it not coming out for years (Wiki tells me from '99 to '03). Back then we had no idea what was going on with the release of it (if only I had known of ANN then), but were all still waiting for it to eventually get released.
Totoro is one of my mother's favourite movies of all time, Princess Mononoke my dad's favourite anime title ever, and my sister and I have a place in our heart for almost every title, even though we've both since got into different anime titles.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Arietty doesn't really need subtitles... the Japanese isn't that complicated. It's not like Gundam where it's full of real and fictional scientific terminology.

Somehow I don't like the English title. Karigurashi no Arietty (Arietty the Borrower) is better :p
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
The local Japanese population's probably moved on to dubs, too. That, or they can rent the damned thing in Little Tokyo without having to make the trip from Downtown to Hollywood. Rolling Eyes
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Somehow I don't like the English title. Karigurashi no Arietty (Arietty the Borrower) is better :p
"The Secret World of Arietty" is more "Disney-like", though.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
The Secret World of Alex Mack

Ug, what a run of the mill title.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
The Secret World of Alex Mack

Ug, what a run of the mill title.

I don't know if I should be happy that I know of that show or surprised, given the last time I watched that show was well over a decade ago.

I've been watching anime for a long time now, so I personally don't mind subtitles, but I suppose this is being done to save on expenses?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I can't figure out why you yanks are making such a dog's dinner out of this. I don't mean showing it in Japanese with no subs , that's a given knowing the amount of Japanese living in LA. No I mean changing the title and adding your own dub, and I read somewhere that the BGM was even changed as well? I'd be surprised if Lassetter agreed to any of that on a Ghibli movie. Rolling Eyes
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can't figure out why you yanks are making such a dog's dinner out of this. I don't mean showing it in Japanese with no subs , that's a given knowing the amount of Japanese living in LA. No I mean changing the title and adding your own dub, and I read somewhere that the BGM was even changed as well? I'd be surprised if Lassetter agreed to any of that on a Ghibli movie. Rolling Eyes

Where did you hear that they're changing the BGM? I hope you're not basing that off the trailer cause I've already seen the film in Japanese and I can tell you right now that the trailer itself is a lie. A lot of scenes are played out of context to make it look more intense.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Where did you hear that they're changing the BGM? I hope you're not basing that off the trailer cause I've already seen the film in Japanese and I can tell you right now that the trailer itself is a lie. A lot of scenes are played out of context to make it look more intense.

Here, but I can't variify it. I'm hoping that's not the case as that would be a bloody shame and a great disservice to this masterpiece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2