• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-12-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Laughing ... LOL... too funny. Well at least we know where Kevin stands.... hehe...
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
On a side note, there have been some romantic overtones between Kevin to Nina. Does anyone think we might get a News Nina hook up strip one day?

Besides the fact that Nina has shown nearly no interest in him, that their personalities seem somewhat incompatible for dating, and that Kevin's romantic interest in Nina seems restricted to the surface level...

...I'd have to protest it. Unless Kevin cleaned himself up or showed some other, likable characteristics. It's just nowadays you see this sort of pairing all the time...in Hollywood films and online comics. Total loser manages to score a girl outside of his "class" with few redeeming traits that would make it an acceptable arrangement (think Dani DeVito/Woody Allen movies, Applegeeks, and such reality shows as The Beauty and The Geek).

I'd be all for these non-classist pairings if they didn't breed with sexism to produce the monster that is "male entitlement" (and hanging out with a lot of geek guys, I see this pa-len-ty). Basically, you see these pairings in media, you think, "Hey, I have a chance with uber hot girl #4." She turns you down because of class issues, but you don't understand it because movies say there is no classism anymore. Instead of getting mad at classism, you get mad at the girl. Sexism ensues. Here's a nice article on the subject: http://sarahmseltzer.com/geeks.htm
TheBigN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Yay double standards in action! \o\
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:
... what straight male doesn't like girls making out. its pervy but true.

You speak the truth, my friend.

EDIT: I just now noticed the look on Paola's face in the last panel. Classic.

Only if it's in yuri anime/manga (I'm a dude that likes both yaoi and yuri), but in real life two chicks making out is sick!!

to you maybe but most straight guys love that crap it defies logic but it's a what they like
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Haha. Pervert.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Kevin's got issues.
Of the latest yuri monthly.

I can't imagine how entertaining it must be to actually talk to you in person. Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Could y'all please be a little more considerate of those of us who are lesbians? Calling two women kissing 'sick' is rather offensive Sad

Personally, I find a woman and man kissing more distasteful.
Not to be a jerk but aren't you doing the same thing they were? Expressing distaste for a particular pair kissing? Whether it's two guys, two girls or one of each, why would a kiss be distasteful or offensive at all? I mean, assuming it's not full-on make-out sessions in public. (Personally, I get really annoyed when people start slobbering and groping in public regardless of the genders involved. I once saw a teenage couple in Wal-Mart sharing a pair of pants, swear to God. That's just too damn far.)

I'm not much for PDAs in general but there's nothing inherently distasteful about kissing for any group of people. Homosexual or heterosexual, it's still just a kiss. As long as it's not not reaching exhibitionist crazy intense levels, why care?

I do like the way Kevin's brain went in those last few panels and Paola's "yeah, I know how to manipulate you" expression. You know she brought up the fangirl kissing to get him on-board with the crossplay.

Robin: Props for showing that the cast of Nina watches both dubbed and subbed anime. Let them inspire us all to enjoy the camaraderie of shared fandom instead of useless arguments over the ONE TRUE WAY to watch anime. (And please show us more of this Kimidori Story. Seeing the UMD DX bits were awesome in the past.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Humbug to this.
Were I to cosplay, I'd dress up as someone genderless or an inanimate object, ergo avoiding such delicate issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Kevin is weird. Did you see the look on Paola's face in the last panel? Laughing
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kevin is thinking what most guys would think.
NamaeX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Kevin's got issues.

Depends. Whether its the part about girls dressing up as guys, or a strange attraction to bishonens, that is the question.

Nah, I think he wants the opportunity to kiss Nina.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Robin: Props for showing that the cast of Nina watches both dubbed and subbed anime. Let them inspire us all to enjoy the camaraderie of shared fandom instead of useless arguments over the ONE TRUE WAY to watch anime.

... with the subs on over the dub?

To everyone loving how Paola manipulated him, keep in mind, she seems quite enamoured with the idea too ... and not just in the opening Kevin's mind way.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Could y'all please be a little more considerate of those of us who are lesbians? Calling two women kissing 'sick' is rather offensive Sad

Oh, as a straight male I have no problem whatsoever with two women kissing, even if they are lesbians.

What creeps me out is that they are dressed up - and acting like - males when they do kiss. As maichips has already pointed out, it is yuri and yaoi at the same time. I mean, is it a male kissing another male, a female kissing a male, a male kissing a female, or a female kissing another female? The ambiguity of the genders is just too much for my fragile constitution.

Well I have a 5 page English paper that says that Gender is inseparable from sex and therefor it would still be two girls kissing. If you really went and examined the issue though you would find that there is actually a rather large divide over whether or not the terms "gender" and "sex" are interchangeable or different things. Your comments are a good example of how ambiguous things can actually be though.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Not to be a jerk but aren't you doing the same thing they were? Expressing distaste for a particular pair kissing? Whether it's two guys, two girls or one of each, why would a kiss be distasteful or offensive at all? I mean, assuming it's not full-on make-out sessions in public. (Personally, I get really annoyed when people start slobbering and groping in public regardless of the genders involved. I once saw a teenage couple in Wal-Mart sharing a pair of pants, swear to God. That's just too damn far.)

I'm not much for PDAs in general but there's nothing inherently distasteful about kissing for any group of people. Homosexual or heterosexual, it's still just a kiss. As long as it's not not reaching exhibitionist crazy intense levels, why care?

I do like the way Kevin's brain went in those last few panels and Paola's "yeah, I know how to manipulate you" expression. You know she brought up the fangirl kissing to get him on-board with the crossplay.

Robin: Props for showing that the cast of Nina watches both dubbed and subbed anime. Let them inspire us all to enjoy the camaraderie of shared fandom instead of useless arguments over the ONE TRUE WAY to watch anime. (And please show us more of this Kimidori Story. Seeing the UMD DX bits were awesome in the past.)

I have to agree on everything you have said some of us actually want to have babies, just when this site couldn't get any weirder and just when I thought there were enough jerks on this site, and as my last and final post on this forum:
"I'm in DESPAIR, being outnumbered by gays and horny straight men, has put me in DESPAIR!!!"- Nozomu Itoshiki (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)

And always watch subs over a dub, and even when watching it subbed I will still have subtitles!!

FAREWELL, to you all!!
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
I was looking at one of those cosplay magazines from Kinokunia bookstore and I've noticed male cosplayers on one of the covers. Interesting enough, these male models of the magazine fits the pretty boy look popular with fangirls. They are lean (skinny is probably the better choice of word); they fashion certain kind of Japanese metrosexual hairstyle. Their face is free of facial blemishes (Photoshop, perhaps?) and narrow jaw line make them look like ideal male face that Japanese fan girls adore.

I don't mind women dressed as pretty boy character. After all, aren't those pretty boy characters just feminization of otherwise masculine characters?

For a long time, I've been making rants about lack of research and detail behind costumes of Anime/manga/game. Unless these costume makers go 100% professional, it's not going to happen.
So, I'm going to make another rant.

Where are the masculine characters now? Where is Kenshiro? Where is Guts? Who is doing Jotaro? Where are the metal armored
knights and samurai warriors?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5