• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Berserk Golden Age Arc I: Egg of the Supreme Ruler

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
Etrien:
Quote:
but there was one huge omission I have to disagree with - other than one very quick, dialog-less flashback, Guts' entire backstory...is omitted.

They kind of omitted some of his childhood in the show, too, and only implied it.

Quote:
On the flip side, some of the sequences are incredibly well done (far better than the TV series) - the Zodd fight and the assassination scene were fantastic.

Uh, the assassination scene in the tv series was money. And the Zodd fight really raised the stakes. When you say the movie did them "better", it just re-enforces my argument that they turned them into a bunch of video game cut scenes, even though ironically, the Berserk video games have awesome cut scenes.

Quote:
I mean, gosh, that's just the worst - when they get their plot and development all over my blood and guts action.

Yup. Cool

Quote:
Just like, y'know, Guts and Griffith?

Guts and Griffith are the effing story. Skull Knight's just a gimmick meant to sell more figures.

Quote:
So I'm really not even sure what you're wanting, or what you even liked about Berserk.

Well, I originally liked the manga series' intensity and passion which suggested Miura was going to take the material to the next level. But, instead, he's just been coasting off of the fan good-will from the earlier arc, and dragging his feet on any significant plot developments.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 am Reply with quote
Thanks Etrien for your opinion, it's quite close how I imagined the first movie would be.

Where does the 1st movie actually end?
I think it would after the Fight between Guts and Zodd spoiler[the assassination of Jurius]

and btw how is the gore in the movie (since there was 2 censored scenes in the first 10 min)?
I was extremely disappointed on that one in the TV series as it wasn't as gory as I wished (good thing the manga is extremely brutal and gory Twisted Evil ).

Etrien wrote:

Unfortunately, to those of you who are expecting this to be "more faithful to the manga", that's absolutely untrue. This version omits and changes FAR more than the TV show did. I think most the changes are warranted, though, but there was one huge omission I have to disagree with - other than one very quick, dialog-less flashback, Guts' entire backstory (childhood, Gambino, getting spoiler[raped]) is omitted. Considering this first movie is much shorter than the 2nd and 3rd are supposed to be, I really wish they would've padded it slightly more to add this in.

Well considering the length of these 3 movies it would be quite obvious that most of stuff in the manga wouldn't get in, since the TV was abridged too... despite that some characters etc. didn't even appear
Etrien

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Uh, the assassination scene in the tv series was money. And the Zodd fight really raised the stakes. When you say the movie did them "better"

I think they were great in the TV series, too. And yet I still think the movie managed to do them better. Just because something is already good doesn't mean it can't be improved. Wink And of course, this is only my opinion. Maybe you won't think so. But, I'd at least recommend waiting until you see them yourself before writing it off - and in some form that would let you appreciate the visuals, not some low-res youtube video.

GATSU wrote:
Guts and Griffith are the effing story. Skull Knight's just a gimmick meant to sell more figures.

My point is that both of the characters are nigh-indestructible supermen that wield Desu* ex Machina as their main weapons. Throughout the series, battles with Guts are usually not very compelling because he's so unbelievably overpowered. Nonetheless, it's fine because Miura still makes his character compelling enough to keep the audience(read: me) interested. Heck, Skull Knight almost feels LESS Deus ex Machina-y to me, just because his strength is more plausibly justified.

You're completely entitled to think Skull Knight is a bad character, but to say he isn't an important one seems silly to me. He's been appearing since, what, Volume 9 (or 10? I don't have the novels handy atm.) and has been involved in multiple major events.

*Typo. But I like it.

GATSU wrote:
dragging his feet on any significant plot developments.

This, sadly, I agree on. I absolutely loved the Conviction arc (I think it's probably the strongest part of the whole series), and I also still enjoyed most of the Millennium Falcon arc, but Falconia has been really hit or miss. It hasn't been advancing the plot OR developing the characters much. It feels like he got stuck in a cycle of filler, which is terrible with his release schedule.

Ifrit30 wrote:
Where does the 1st movie actually end?

The final scene of the movie is spoiler[where Guts and Casca were listening in on Griffith's conversation with the princess about dreams and her servant runs in to tell them about the assassination.]

Ifrit30 wrote:
and btw how is the gore in the movie (since there was 2 censored scenes in the first 10 min)?

I'd say there's a little less gore than in the respective scenes than the TV version, but personally, I think the gore that is present has much greater effect and looks far more gruesome. And there are still entrails, brains, and eyeballs popping out of their sockets, so I wouldn't actually call it censored, just abbreviated - like everything else in the film.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the scenes that were cut out were character building scenes. Since Berserk's true strength (in my opinion) is the strength and quality of its characters, cutting down on this really lowers the value of the story overall. I think allowing us to get to know Guts' inner-workings so thoroughly so quickly was part of what made it compelling. I can't help but think newcomers will feel rather detached from the characters after this movie. 

I find this way more disappointing than the awkward CG Sad. I'm not saying I didn't think they'd cut anything, but Gambino etc. are extremely important in my opinion.

I agree with Gatsu & Hitler on the pirates, delays getting to real plot points and disproportionate comic relief. Not because of character development getting in the way of the fights -- with things like the pirates, it's basically the exact opposite of that. The fact is that a lot of the character development simply hasn't been any good lately. Making everyone into a comic releif character making jokes about the hideous fifty-foot comic-relief abberation tearing sailors in half, not only ruins the mood, it also makes them into implausible characters.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Uh, the assassination scene in the tv series was money. And the Zodd fight really raised the stakes.

This I completely agree with. The zodd fight remains to this day one of my favorite scenes in an anime. It was the moment for me that took the series to a whole new level.

Quote:
Well, I originally liked the manga series' intensity and passion which suggested Miura was going to take the material to the next level. But, instead, he's just been coasting off of the fan good-will from the earlier arc, and dragging his feet on any significant plot developments.

I'll agree that the series kinda coasted through most of the Conviction arc. However, the Hawk of the Millennium arc has really picked things up. We've seen major developments with the return of Griffith, the Kushan war and perhaps most importantly, new characters. The addition of Guts whole party of companions has really restored the series propensity for strong character development and I think is setting up a much juicier future dynamic. A conflicted guts who still has some connections to other people is definitely going to be more interesting to watch going forward than one driven solely by rage and the desire for revenge.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Etrien:
Quote:
And yet I still think the movie managed to do them better. Just because something is already good doesn't mean it can't be improved.

If it's fine the way it is, why does it need to be done better? That's the argument they use for bad and/or unnecessary remakes, which this appears to be.

Quote:
My point is that both of the characters are nigh-indestructible supermen that wield Desu* ex Machina as their main weapons.

Well, not really, on either count.

Quote:
Throughout the series, battles with Guts are usually not very compelling because he's so unbelievably overpowered.

Have you seen what he's up against? If anything, he's underpowered.

Quote:
He's been appearing since, what, Volume 9 (or 10? I don't have the novels handy atm.) and has been involved in multiple major events.

Key word is involved. He barely does shit.

Sven: I'm fine if you agree with me, but don't lump me in w/ Adolf, pleeze. ^^;
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If it's fine the way it is, why does it need to be done better?

Redoing something that's already fine isn't necessary but if there's still room for improvement it's not pointless either. The version of Berserk we have may be fine so we don't need a better version. However, why wouldn't you want an even better version if possible?

And honestly, while this may not be necessary from a fan perspective, it really is from a business perspective. Doing a direct sequel to a 15 year old show is a recipe for disaster. The smart move is to do a complete reboot if nothing else for the sake of people who haven't seen the old version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:
However, why wouldn't you want an even better version if possible?

Two words: George Lucas.

Quote:
And honestly, while this may not be necessary from a fan perspective, it really is from a business perspective. Doing a direct sequel to a 15 year old show is a recipe for disaster.

Based on the box office report, not really. Again, instead of three films telling the same story, it would've been cheaper to make one film with a flashback and new material.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Honestly, the only real downside to what George Lucas has done is a result of him refusing to make the original version available. Other than that, it's just a lot of fanboy drama. The absolute worst case scenario here is that these new movies suck in which case you're 100% free to ignore them and stick with the original series.

Quote:
Based on the box office report, not really. Again, instead of three films telling the same story, it would've been cheaper to make one film with a flashback and new material.

Uh...yeah. That's fine in theory but how exactly? There's no way you're gonna be able to show the whole golden age arc in one movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:
That's fine in theory but how exactly? There's no way you're gonna be able to show the whole golden age arc in one movie.

That's why it's called a flashback. Because they can summarize it.
myousefi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ikillchicken:
Quote:
However, why wouldn't you want an even better version if possible?

Quote:
And honestly, while this may not be necessary from a fan perspective, it really is from a business perspective. Doing a direct sequel to a 15 year old show is a recipe for disaster.

They tried to do that but the author didn't like the idea. Imagine your life work of 20+ years being shrieked into a single movie. If they constrained on budget (which looks like they did) if they just do a bit well they can continue way better than what they started.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
myousefi:
Quote:
They tried to do that but the author didn't like the idea. Imagine your life work of 20+ years being shrieked into a single movie.

Well, the story's still open-ended, anyway, so I don't see what's the problem.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That's why it's called a flashback. Because they can summarize it.

That sounds just awful. The Golden Age arc is absolutely vital to Berserk and there's simply no way whatsoever you can effectively summarize it in a brief flashback. It's not going to have any of the same impact or depth. It's not going to get anyone invested in the story or characters. No...Some half assed flash back would be the worst possible choice. It would be nothing but an inferior waste of time for those already familiar with the material but at the same time it would utterly fail for new viewers as well. I genuinely cannot think of a worse idea.

At least with a complete retelling they potentially provide something that works for new viewers. As for old viewers, it at least has a chance of being better than the original and at worst it's a waste of time in which case they can always skip it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken:
Quote:
That sounds just awful. The Golden Age arc is absolutely vital to Berserk and there's simply no way whatsoever you can effectively summarize it in a brief flashback.

They summarized the back-stories of Lord of the Rings and X-Men without a problem. If you can't distill the essence of the series in a brief recap, then you have no business doing an expanded story.

Quote:
No...Some half assed flash back would be the worst possible choice.

As opposed to some half-assed reboot?

Quote:
It would be nothing but an inferior waste of time for those already familiar with the material but at the same time it would utterly fail for new viewers as well. I genuinely cannot think of a worse idea.

The people familiar with the material would be rewarded with new content, and the people unfamiliar with it could pick up the manga and tv show to get the full scoop. Makes perfect sense from a marketing POV.

Quote:
As for old viewers, it at least has a chance of being better than the original and at worst it's a waste of time in which case they can always skip it.

Well, they did skip it, and the new viewers apparently did, too. That's what happens when you try to make something which was niche, even by Japan standards, into a crowd-pleaser. The audience still buying the manga at this point is probably as far as the series will go, unless Miura finally steps up his damn game, again.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They summarized the back-stories of Lord of the Rings and X-Men without a problem.

Uh...no. Summarizing the history of the Ring in Lord of the Rings is not the same as summarizing the whole Golden Age arc. What you're suggesting is more like them just making Return of the King and summarizing everything before it via a brief flashback. That is to say, it's crazy.

Quote:
As opposed to some half-assed reboot?

You're conflating "This reboot turned out badly because it was poorly executed" with "this is inherently a bad idea". Yeah, obviously if they fudge it up and do a shitty job, this will suck. That applies to literally every idea ever though. If they did what you wanted and just made a sequel to the old TV series it would face the same problem: If they do a shitty job it will suck. That doesn't mean either of these things are inherently a bad idea though and that they shouldn't even have tried. It just means they took a good idea a messed it up in execution.

Once again, if it's your opinion that they did a shitty job with this movie then that's fine. Maybe you're right. Maybe they did a shitty job. I don't know. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea from the start though to do a full reboot.

Quote:
The people familiar with the material would be rewarded with new content

They would also be forced to sit through a bunch of redundancy to get that new content. Where as you can simply skip the redundancy by skipping these movies all together and then start up once they actually get to new content. Once again, it's win win. People who are unfamiliar with the content or are willing to see it again can watch this movie. People who aren't can not.

Quote:
and the people unfamiliar with it could pick up the manga and tv show to get the full scoop.

If they have to do that then you might all well forget the golden age entirely and just start on new material. Either introduce new viewers properly or don't bother. Doing things half assed is the worst possible option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6