• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: India Reportedly Bans Crayon Shin-chan from TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Perhaps you guys should consider the moral values and issues surrounding the series, and the country that banned it. India is a pretty religious country, and if you guys were born and raised in the kind of environment that has banned the show, then you would probably understand why. If you don't have an open about the cultural clashes going on here, then you seriously need to consider your position if you end up going to another country, whether it's visiting or working.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
You guys are getting excited over the same thing that has happened to other countries showing Anime.

Instead getting outraged by Crayon Shinchan's dismissal, we should look from this perspective. India doesn't want their children watching too much foreign cartoons. This is beyond cultural issue, but country competing for global animation economy. I may sound like conspiracy theorist, but I think India broadcaster took Shinchan off air because they want to develop their own national animation for children. India having the one of the fastest growing animation industry in the world today, it's not surprising at all.

Unlike Japan, India, Singapore, and others spent great deal of money improving infrastructure and training artists in short time. Why? So that they could attract foreign investments. They're competing with China and other Far East countries for investment for animation. Welcome to the world of serious competition.

So let's not waste our time about censorship this, censorship that. It's a different country with different culture and values. It'd better to explore deeper reason behind this issue and look beyond narrow field view of anime fandom.

Last edited by reanimator on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Kids shouldn't be watching this in countries without a culture similar to Japanese culture. Its website in R1 sat behind a TV MA access restriction.

I do think that a ban is taking it a bit too far. They could have just scheduled it very late with a warning.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
fighter: Dude, they nearly arrested Richard Gere for kissing a chick in public! They're just prudes.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: Dude, they nearly arrested Richard Gere for kissing a chick in public! They're just prudes.

If that is your prospective of different cultures, then you have a lot of work and studying to do, my friend.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
sarsman45 wrote:
who even takes this show seriously?

People of India. Wink
overly conservitive parent's who are bible beaters
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:

Wow, where did you get that information from? India is comprised mainly of Hindus, so how do you get that the "bible beaters" were the ones calling for the show to be pulled?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
This is a country where you can be prosecuted for kissing your girlfriend on the cheek. I don't respect all cultures, and this one in particular is flat out moronic.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Perhaps you guys should consider the moral values and issues surrounding the series, and the country that banned it. India is a pretty religious country, and if you guys were born and raised in the kind of environment that has banned the show, then you would probably understand why. If you don't have an open about the cultural clashes going on here, then you seriously need to consider your position if you end up going to another country, whether it's visiting or working.

Religion is the opium of the masses. Accepting other country's tyranny because of cultural political correctness is rather scary to me. Note, I won't visit most of these screwy places anyways out of objection to their collective stupidity. If you want to condone stuff like treating women like 2nd class citiizen slaves out of "cultural awareness" go ahead. Fight the power dude!
nobinobita

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Religion is the opium of the masses.

Hey you may have already heard this before, but that quote from Marx was made at a time when opium was used as a pain killer. He didn't mean to describe religion as a horrible addictive drug, he meant that it was something that people turned to in order to treat the pain of their lives.

Here's a more full version of the quote:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

He continues to talk about how if you take away that pain, then people won't need religion, but please bear in mind that the quote was originally meant to be sympathetic rather than disdainful.

I know this is off topic, but I hope this was somewhat educational!

Cheers! Peace!
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Religion is the opium of the masses. Accepting other country's tyranny because of cultural political correctness is rather scary to me. Note, I won't visit most of these screwy places anyways out of objection to their collective stupidity. If you want to condone stuff like treating women like 2nd class citiizen slaves out of "cultural awareness" go ahead. Fight the power dude!

Whatever, Marx-quoting kid. Be happy that you can choose to stay home where everything is familiar and according to your line of thinking.

I won't say much about the subject, though, although I am in the same boat as the "respect other cultures" people here.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't condone it. I'm saying that some of you are pretty thick headed when you're saying that these people are idiots or whatsoever. You're not thinking about the big picture, which is that they have traditions that have been practiced for hundreds of years. Is it bad, according to our standards it is. However, they see it as fit. One way to try and get your point across is to respect the culture, and make the connection first. Then try to point out what you think about it. But you guys aren't thinking with an open mind. And that's the problem here. You're attacking them as if they are criminals. Think very carefully about what you think of their culture, before you go over and you open your mouth about what you think of them. Do I think that the treatment of women is bad in that region? I don't think it's right, but it's tradition. You can't just go in there and say "You can't treat your women like that." That's just like how the war has gone. We went in, thought we set things right, started to pull out, but it was too early for democracy in Iraq. Hence the situation we are in today. So, be very careful about what you think and have to say about the culture and tradition of a country.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't condone it. I'm saying that some of you are pretty thick headed when you're saying that these people are idiots or whatsoever. You're not thinking about the big picture, which is that they have traditions that have been practiced for hundreds of years. Is it bad, according to our standards it is. However, they see it as fit. One way to try and get your point across is to respect the culture, and make the connection first. Then try to point out what you think about it. But you guys aren't thinking with an open mind. And that's the problem here. You're attacking them as if they are criminals. Think very carefully about what you think of their culture, before you go over and you open your mouth about what you think of them. Do I think that the treatment of women is bad in that region? I don't think it's right, but it's tradition. You can't just go in there and say "You can't treat your women like that." That's just like how the war has gone. We went in, thought we set things right, started to pull out, but it was too early for democracy in Iraq. Hence the situation we are in today. So, be very careful about what you think and have to say about the culture and tradition of a country.

I'm not thick-headed, but you are awfully pretentious to go around prentending you're the only one who understands cultural traditions. Yes I understand why they they treat women like peasants and why you can get arrested for kissing. Why, why, why do I have to pretend to respect that like you do? And why does that suggest I don't understand them?

And don't bring the Iraq war straw-man into this. I never supported the war, nor do I suggest starting wars because we don't like other cultures. But I'm not going to respect anal, moronic, tryranical, freedom squashing "traditions" just so I can be more "open-minded." This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state. I don't respect governments and cultures where you can be hanged or locked up for decades becuase some musty old religous parchment said so, and the ignorant masses aren't intelligent enough to question it to think for their selves.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm not thick-headed, but you are awfully pretentious to go around prentending you're the only one who understands cultural traditions. Yes I understand why they they treat women like peasants and why you can get arrested for kissing. Why, why, why do I have to pretend to respect that like you do? And why does that suggest I don't understand them?

And don't bring the Iraq war straw-man into this. I never supported the war, nor do I suggest starting wars because we don't like other cultures. But I'm not going to respect anal, moronic, tryranical, freedom squashing "traditions" just so I can be more "open-minded." This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state. I don't respect governments and cultures where you can be hanged or locked up for decades becuase some musty old religous parchment said so, and the ignorant masses aren't intelligent enough to question it to think for their selves.

I've never said I'm the only one, don't put words into my mouth. I didn't ask you to respect them, but the way you're going about things you're not willing to look at the bigger picture as to why they do what they do. If you don't like the way things are going, get into politics and push to fix it.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

Wow, where did you get that information from? India is comprised mainly of Hindus, so how do you get that the "bible beaters" were the ones calling for the show to be pulled?
sarsman45 was simply asking "who even takes this show seriously?" and I just gave an example
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4