• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: India Reportedly Bans Crayon Shin-chan from TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state.

This country was founded so that people could worship God as they chose, rather than how it was mandated by the government-controlled Catholic church. Separation of church and state is a concept meant to keep the government from interfering in religious affairs, just so we're straight, since the schools seem to like teaching revisionist history nowadays from the number of misquotes of that phrase I see fly around on these forums.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
I'm not thick-headed, but you are awfully pretentious to go around prentending you're the only one who understands cultural traditions. Yes I understand why they they treat women like peasants and why you can get arrested for kissing. Why, why, why do I have to pretend to respect that like you do? And why does that suggest I don't understand them?

And don't bring the Iraq war straw-man into this. I never supported the war, nor do I suggest starting wars because we don't like other cultures. But I'm not going to respect anal, moronic, tryranical, freedom squashing "traditions" just so I can be more "open-minded." This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state. I don't respect governments and cultures where you can be hanged or locked up for decades becuase some musty old religous parchment said so, and the ignorant masses aren't intelligent enough to question it to think for their selves.

I've never said I'm the only one, don't put words into my mouth. I didn't ask you to respect them, but the way you're going about things you're not willing to look at the bigger picture as to why they do what they do. If you don't like the way things are going, get into politics and push to fix it.

Well you're back-peddling a bit now, which is a good thing. Basically what you were arguing for before is that people who live in other cultures are lower beings who don't deserve the freedom of speech and civil rights you enjoy in this country that allow you to pretend to be open minded about the reasons people are victimized in other cultures. And stop with this bigger picture nonsense, I see the bigger picture and I still don't agree with it, because again I believe in freedom and civil rights. Just because you have detachment from those people living in the US, doesn't mean they are any different from you. If you wouldn't want your friend being sent to jail here for something like being gay, than you shouldn't condone it just because they live in another country.

And defending tradition for traditions sake, even when it's unfair, is utter nonsense. We tried that in the United States and it resulted in slavery existing 100 years longer than it had to.

Maybe I'm being a little antagonistic here, but don't tell people not to object to things they don't agree with under the farce of "open-mindedness regarding other cultures" like you're the only one who's been educated on other cultures.

And no, I'm not going to go into India and tell people how to run their own country which is what you're implying people were doing here. I'm just giving my opinion on it. You can have opinions on things that don't originate from America, you don't have to look at everything like a sociologist like you expect others to do.

Quote:

Whatever, Marx-quoting kid. Be happy that you can choose to stay home where everything is familiar and according to your line of thinking.

I'm not a Marxist, but that's one thing he said that was absolutely true. And don't criticize me for "staying at home" when you do the exact same thing, hyopcrite. Go live in India and Saudi Arabia or something then you will have the right to act like you're any different from me.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
I declare this thread full of ignorance and ethnocentrism.

*just felt the need to use a cool word like ethnocentrism... Don't get to do that very often*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
who even takes this show seriously?

Those who complain about the Adult Swim adaptations? Laughing
(Think about it.)

AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
What a gross affront to freedom of speech and the press!

Doesn't India's government realize that there is NO place for censorship in a free society?

There are no Bill of Rights in India. Laughing
Dajii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
What a gross affront to freedom of speech and the press!

Doesn't India's government realize that there is NO place for censorship in a free society?

There are no Bill of Rights in India. Laughing

'Cause if you're not an US citizen you've got neither freedom of opinion nor human rights at all (in the US Law)
So US Citiz. Shouldn't be the one pointing on the India's Wink

After all it's better they "ban" an Anime than destroy it like 4Kids does (Ain't i'm right?!)
hotah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Shin-chan is not a good kid Laughing. Young kids tend to imitate what they see on TV. And who wants his kid to be like Shin-chan?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
I may not be able to visualise the exact chain of thought leading to this sort of banning, such that I'd be able to agree with the decision, but this isn't an affair of any real importance to me.
If my country banned particular Indian exports, namely culinary ones, then there'd be more cause for personal concern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
Gage wrote:
sarsman45 wrote:
who even takes this show seriously?

People of India. Wink
This is funny. A culture that allows infantiside, child prostitution to some god called De-vadasy, and child slavery to some god called greed and his wife called Global Economy, to name but a few, banning a cartoon about a cheeky 5-year-old. What a wonderful world. Rolling Eyes
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I have one thing to ask in this thread:

malik_chan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
This country was founded on telling certain tranditionalists to go to hell so we could have the sepparation of church and state.

This country was founded so that people could worship God as they chose, rather than how it was mandated by the government-controlled Catholic church. Separation of church and state is a concept meant to keep the government from interfering in religious affairs, just so we're straight, since the schools seem to like teaching revisionist history nowadays from the number of misquotes of that phrase I see fly around on these forums.

No, this country was founded because we were sick of England screwing us over and to practice ANY religion we wanted to, not just worship God as we see fit (remember kids: Buddhism is usually an atheist religion and some others don't worship one god!).

It was the Puritans who came here to worship God as they saw fit.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
crazychild wrote:
Savages…

THAT'S A RACIST STATEMENT! You ought to be ashamed of yourself!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

If you're talking about the English government of the time, it didn't want to control Catholicism, it wanted to eliminate it completely. The only church it controlled was, and still is the Church of England formed by King Henry VIII.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I would wish they had just rescheduled it, for freedom of expression. But, it doesn't surprise me. If you've been to a traditional Indian household gathering (a house-warming, for instance) in the U.S., the similarities to a classic Christian family atmosphere are almost astounding. So it's not the specific religion or culture, but a spiritual and social viewpoint that happens to be shared, especially in regards to children.

This is just to point out that while we may consider it horrible censorship and some great disservice to mankind for Shin-chan not to be seen by Indian children, the people requesting this are pretty much like us and are trying first of all to raise children who operate well in society.

And now you can dump all over that, but just be aware that it's also not intended to excuse any sort of bad behavior by anyone on either side of the planet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
J-syxx: I'm not going to argue this out anymore, but to make things clear, I take offence to some people's reactions, hence my response. When you go out and blindly say things in the way I read them, then I'm going to react to that.
anime_lord1989

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
people that wanna banned anime....should watch it and c how good it is.......or else they should just %&*%^%& for all i care....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4